Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America
This topic is about The Ghosts of Eden Park
Group Read - Ghosts of Eden Park > Group Read - Ghosts of Eden Park general No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments The October / November group read is a non fiction book, The Ghosts of Eden Park: The Bootleg King, the Women Who Pursued Him, and the Murder That Shocked Jazz-Age America by Karen Abbott.
Are you planning on reading the book? If so we invite you to join the discussion. * No spoilers on this general discussion topic please. *

Just like the full title, it looks to be a meaty book ;) so it may be a challenge to read and discuss. There are three parts and chapters without numbers so even though the page counts per part are longer than we usually like for breaking up segments I am going to go with three parts for the threads.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments Wow, this crept up on me, I didn't even know about this one. I'll try to track back and read what appealed about this one, and look at the summary. I'm a third of the way throughLady in the Lake Lady in the Lake so it may be awhile!

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Carol: This book may take a longer time to read being non-fiction.
Enjoy Lady in the Lake!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Wow, this crept up on me, I didn't even know about this one. I'll try to track back and read what appealed about this one, and look at the summary. I'm a third of the way through Lady in the Lake"

Barbara K | 414 comments When reading the blurb for this I found that it seemed vaguely familiar, and when I got to the name Mabel Walker Willebrandt I immediately called up a mental picture of her. Huh? Then it dawned on me that I'd come across these people in the Ken Burns' documentary about Prohibition. I'll be reading for sure.

message 5: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments I am way down on the hold line for this audio, hope to have it by November. My library is limiting digital holds to only ten again which is slowing me way down on getting new releases.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Karen Abbott was at the Southern Festival of Books this weekend and while I missed her event which was Friday when I was unable to attend, I did pick up a signed copy of this book.
I still expect to listen to the audio for the bulk of the book (when I get my turn at the library) but am excited to have a print copy too.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7809 comments So this and Raven Black came in at the same time and I can't decide which to read first. Raven Black is more appealing so I'm leaning toward that.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments Carol: Raven Black will probably go faster!

Carol/Bonadie wrote: "So this and Raven Black came in at the same time and I can't decide which to read first. Raven Black is more appealing so I'm leaning toward that."

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14300 comments I finally got my turn at the library for the audio and started it today!!