Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Women of the Copper Country--Mary Doria Russell- 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 516 comments The Women of the Copper Country- I saw it on the "new books" shelf at the library and grabbed it! I have read The Sparrow and A Thread of Grace and loved them both.
This is historical fiction at its best! Who knew that copper mining even existed in Michigan's upper peninsula. I love that this book was written from the perspective of the women who watched their men descend into the mines every day and hoped and prayed they would come home at the end of their shift. Not only did I learn about historical events and people surrounding the labor movement in the early 1900's, but I felt the pain and misery of the miners and their families, before, during and after the strike. My hatred for McNaughton and corporate greed was deep! Russell has done a great job painting these characters and their lives and illuminating a piece of American history that is not well known.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5360 comments So glad to see that you loved it.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2715 comments It was very good. I read it a month ago and I'm still thinking about it.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7131 comments *Sigh* I had this in my hands for a few weeks, and then had to return the library...if no one else had been waiting I would have held on to it and tried to finish-oh, well back on the wait list # 2, so it should not be too long a wait.

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2715 comments Joanne wrote: "*Sigh* I had this in my hands for a few weeks, and then had to return the library...if no one else had been waiting I would have held on to it and tried to finish-oh, well back on the wait list # 2..."

I feel your pain.