Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > How can I correct a book wrongly NABbed?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Blake (new)

Blake (bloodhoney) | 3 comments I work with a literary magazine* and recently finished uploading our backlog to Goodreads. Today I checked in and found that (after quite some searching) all of our editions were filed under Not A Book. Our books are, in fact, books. They are collections of poetry and short stories published both digitally and physically— which, to my knowledge, does not meet the requirements to be placed under Not A Book.

I’m not a librarian and don’t know how to/if I can become one, so how do I fix this?

* Please note that when I say magazine I am not referring to a periodical.

message 2: by Emily (last edited Sep 18, 2019 05:23PM) (new)

Emily | 13538 comments Would you provide a link to your website so we can have a look? EDIT or a link to one of them on Goodreads?

message 3: by Blake (new)

Blake (bloodhoney) | 3 comments elanlitmag.org, I can no longer find all of our books via search but if you go to my want-to-read page our latest copy is my most recent want-to-read, title Elan Volume 33 Issue 3. They were all initially added to the database by the author “Elan Staff” and “Various”

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13538 comments If a publication comes out periodically (weekly, monthly, yearly, or anything), it is a periodical.
I don't see your want-to-read page because your profile is private. After having a look at your website, it will depend on the binding of the print editions. Spiral bound or stapled (like your average magazine) do not count. If the magazine is perfectbound, it can be retained.
If the author is listed as NOT A BOOK then Goodreads can probably change it, provided the magazine meets the requirements for being a book on Goodreads.
Since there is no way to look up the individual issues, you might want to write to Support about this, if some of them are perfectbound. (If you are not familiar, just do an image search for perfectbound.)
I would give them a link to this thread so they can see the background info.
https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

message 5: by Blake (new)

Blake (bloodhoney) | 3 comments Right, sorry, by not a periodical I meant not stapled or saddle-stitched like your typical fashion magazine and such. We are perfectbound, if you go to the “products” section of our site you can see they are (if necessary I can send pictures as well).
We’ve been perfectbound for the last 5ish years, so all of the books listed would be applicable. I did also make my profile public if that helps at all?

Sorry if I’m coming off as rude at all, I’m a little bit frustrated about all this, but thank you for taking the time to explain and help me out. I’ll write to support, & thank you again!

message 6: by Emily (last edited Sep 21, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

Emily | 13538 comments You're not coming off as rude. :) If you can identify which ones should not be NAB, then they should be able to fix them, or at least re-added.