ACPL Online Book Club discussion

Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird)
This topic is about Go Set a Watchman
Go Set a Watchman > Can racism be erased?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Ueber | 255 comments Mod
How have our attitudes about race evolved since the 1950s when WATCHMAN was written? In what ways have we progressed? Is the stain of racism indelible in our national character, or can it eventually be erased? Can it be eradicated for good? Question provided by the publisher.

message 2: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Ueber | 255 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "How have our attitudes about race evolved since the 1950s when WATCHMAN was written? In what ways have we progressed? Is the stain of racism indelible in our national character, or can it eventuall..."

As long as people are forced to change their behaviors there will be resistance. I think it is almost a need to have someone to look down on. I can always say, “Yes, I am flawed, but thank God I am not like them.” The problem is that those who enjoy institutional privelliges-old, white, males for example-will not give those priveledges up until forced to do so. Those who are oppressed are understandably impatient, and when the law is used to speed up the process, it’s easy for those who feel threatened to justify doing what they have to do to maintain the status quo.

There are plenty of liberals who assure themselves that they are not racists but who make sure they live in a “safe” neighborhood “for the sake of the children.” What they are really saying is that they believe in privilege. In addition, racism, sexism, and the like will always be attractive to those who fail in spite of the privileges they enjoy, so I am pretty sure they will always exist.