ACPL Online Book Club discussion

Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird)
This topic is about Go Set a Watchman
1 view
Go Set a Watchman > The citizens' council

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Ueber | 255 comments Mod
Why does Maycomb have a citizens’ council, and why does this upset Jean Louise when she discovers that nearly everyone in town belongs to it? By allowing the likes of a racist segregationist like Grady O’Hanlon to speak at the meeting, are Atticus and Henry defending O’Hanlon’s First Amendment right to free speech --- or are they condoning his message? Question provided by the publisher.

message 2: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Ueber | 255 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Why does Maycomb have a citizens’ council, and why does this upset Jean Louise when she discovers that nearly everyone in town belongs to it? By allowing the likes of a racist segregationist like G..."

Trump as president. Philosophically I want anyone who wants to speak to be able to speak. I don’t really believe the charlatans are exposed by free speech because we all seem to believe what we want to believe today, no matter the facts. Atticus didn’t give up racism because O’Hanlan is a bigot; he just continued being a racist with a more sophisticated thought pattern. But I do think to allow free speech makes it more difficult to contend that we weren’t warned when ugly things happen after ugly ideas are expressed.

It’s too easy to say, ”I only allow enlightened opinions such as my own to impact me.” It’s a kind of bigotry of its own that allows me to be arrogant and self-righteous.