Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

Sideways Boy
This topic is about Sideways Boy
AUTHORS' CORNER > Please help a new author find his book on Amazon

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David R. | 2 comments I am in this group because I've taught middle school for more than twenty-five years and my new novel is partially about my experiences. My novel is certainly not for middle schoolers to read.

I love having a novel published but I am frustrated by it as well. When I type in the name of my book, Sideways Boy, into Amazon I don't even come up until the second page. Am I doing something wrong?

message 2: by Alba (new)

Alba Arango | 30 comments Hi David!
I typed the name of your book into my Amazon search bar, with Kindle store as my department, and your book was the first to pop up! That's good! :)
Writing is a game of patience. To appear higher on the general "all departments" Amazon search, your book will need a bit of time (reviews and rankings help with this).
Be patient and start working on Book 2!!
Alba

message 3: by David (new)

David R. | 2 comments Hi Alba,

Tyvm for checking. I find it first in kindle too, but in "books" it isn't even on the first page. I just don't understand why. Maybe you're right and I just need patience.

David

message 4: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1282 comments Mod
David wrote: "Hi Alba,

Tyvm for checking. I find it first in kindle too, but in "books" it isn't even on the first page. I just don't understand why. Maybe you're right and I just need patience.

David"

The ways of Amazon are many and strange. It has all sorts of ranking calculations within it, and they change their criteria often, too. If it's showing up in the Kindle section, that'll get you to all the kindle readers :)

I think it'll have to sell in paperback to show up in Books, and frankly, very few indie authors are selling many paperbacks. It's a hard world out there.

But we still do it :)

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Count | 21 comments People think publishing a book is easy until they try it. It is a mass of confusion and head scratching.
I was easily able to find both your ebook and the paperback.
I write middle-grade and most of the books I sell are paperback.
You might search facebook for author groups. I find them quite helpful. There's one called Flinch Free Fiction and the Mark Dawson marketing one is 20booksto50K. (though marketing one book is generally not worth the expense) I'm sure there are other groups as well.
So best of luck finding your way.

message 6: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1282 comments Mod
There's also a slew of helpful people who blog about all aspects of indie publishing. I get daily emails from The Story Reading Ape who picks up and reblogs a good number of useful posts. If you find you like one or two in particular, you can follow those bloggers.

I also save particles of interest to my Pinterest board for reference. It's the Business of Books one if you like Pinterest.