Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VII > Team Acedia

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,240 (1240 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:23AM) (new)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:24AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 08, 2019 04:46AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Avarice Mini-Challenge Bingo Cards

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 6: by Donna (last edited Dec 03, 2019 09:39AM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments description

Important Links

Rules
Check word count
Sinful chat
Genre search

Documents
Team Planning Sheet Enter all planned books & completions here.

Countdown Clocks
TT VII Officially Begins/Week 1 Start
Week 2 Start
Week 3 start
Week 4 start
Week 5 start
Week 6 start
Week 7 Start
Week 8 Start
Week 9 Start
Week 10 Start

Color Cover
1. If your cover is obvious, then call it.
2. If you are undecided, bring it to the team for a vote. I need all team members on board for this. So please check in daily.
3. If the team can't make a decision, the captains (Lexi & I) will decide.
4. If the captain's are undecided, the book will not be used for a cover color.

Let's try to make this as easy as possible. Majority wins.

Team Shelves
• Donna towerteamsvii
• Lexi tt2019
• Anna tt-2019
• Cait tt19
• Carrie Tower-team-2019
• Navi seven-sinful-towers‎
• Samantha nbrc-towerteamsvii
• SandyL tt-vii
• Sarah seven-sinful-towers‎
• Slytherpuff towerteam

message 7: by Donna (last edited Oct 02, 2019 03:10PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Sins
~~ Remember that not all books on some of the listopia will work. Please make sure they qualify.

description

◈ Lust
- Color: Red
- Genre: Guilty Pleasure
- Criteria: Books that you lust after (new releases- published 2019 or ARCs - your favorite author, everybody has read but you, gorgeous covers, etc...). Books with lustful items on the cover (High heels, handcuffs, silk ribbons, Lace, bondage, ...). Books that are too steamy for hot weather!
Seeing Red Listopia
red dress, red coat
Popular Lust books
popular guilty pleasure
Red Covers
Captain's Group Sin Bingo - Lust recommendations

◈ Envy
- Color: Green
- Genre: Young Adult
- Criteria: Books that members from other teams have read (during 2019)
Envy Sin Bingo
Green Covers
YA books
Captain's Group Sin Bingo - Envy recommendations

◈ Pride
- Color: Purple
- Genre: Contemporary
- Criteria: Only Award-Winning Books - Any Award as long as it can be linked or appears on Goodreads book page. Books with a mirror or jewels on the cover. Really Shiny books. LGBT books.
Pride Sin Bingo
Purple Covers
Contemporary
Award Winning books
Captain's Group Sin Bingo - Pride Recommendations

◈ Wrath
- Color: Brown
- Genre: Space Opera
- Criteria: Books that enrage you (series that should have ended already, really hateful characters, some turn that made you froth at the mouth, etc)
Brown Covers
Space Opera
Captain's Group Sin Bingo -Wrath Recommendations

◈ Sloth
- Color: Blue
- Genre: Dark Fantasy
- Criteria: Books that have been on your TBR for at least 2 years. Books from authors that take a long time to write the next installment on a series (Yes Patrick Rothfuss, George R.R. Martin and Abigail Roux we're looking at you!). Books from a series that you put on hold and are taking a long time to get back to it.
Sloth Sin Bingo
Blue Covers
Dark Fantasy
Captain's Group Sin Bingo - Sloth Recommendations

◈ Gluttony
- Color: Pink
- Genre: Historical Romance
- Criteria: 600+ page books. Books in a very long series (12+ books). Books from a series or author that you can't stop binge reading. Books that have covers you want to eat (i.e covers that have food or drink on them. Yes, chocolate covered strawberries count)
Gluttony Sin Bingo
Pink Covers
Historical Romance
600 pg +
Captain's Group Sin Bingo - Gluttony Recommendations

◈ Greed
- Color: Yellow
- Genre: Dystopia
- Criteria: Anything Goes (i.e. a book you can't fit in elsewhere)
Yellow Covers
Dystopia
Captain's Group Sin Bingo -Greed Recommendations

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments r

message 9: by Lexi (last edited Oct 04, 2019 01:19PM) (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments SUMMARY
Points/page:
Books between 100 and 499 pages = 0.1 points per page
Books between 500 and 799 pages = 0.15 points per page
Books 800 pages or more = 0.2 points per page

Points/Sin reason note that these are either / or, NOT stacking
7 points for achieving Sin Bingo (matching all three elements / two for Avarice)
5 points for each book used for colour cover
3 points for each book used for top shelf
1 point for each book used for sin specification (EXCEPT for Avarice, which gets 0 points)

BOM points
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points

Accuracy points
Teams that stay in the 80% - 120% reading range get an additional 50 points
Teams that fall below the 80% mark get a penalty of -20 points
Teams that go over the 120% cap but stay under the 250% get a penalty of -100 points
Teams that go over the 250% mark get a penalty of -200 points

We are on 38 books / week. the 80 - 120 range will be 30 - 46 books / week. It's a TEAM target, not individual.

=======
Colours for covers:
Yellow
Pink
Red
Blue
Green
Purple
Brown

FYI, the approach for deciding on a colour cover is:
1. What does this cover look like
and
2. Take it to the captains if you'd like a second opinion

Genres: (on top 100 shelves)
Guilty Pleasure
Space Opera
Young Adult
Contemporary
Dark Fantasy
Historical Romance
Dystopia

Note: plurals permitted, otherwise it must be an exact match

message 10: by Lexi (last edited Oct 19, 2019 11:27AM) (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments BOMs
Books must be read within 1 month of start
Need to answer 3 sets of questions or equivalent comments to count

7 Oct: Adult - Gideon the Ninth- lesbian space necromancers - 448 pages
BOM Discussion

16 Oct - YA - Wilder Girls - eco-horror - 368 pages
BOM Discussion

20 Oct - Backroom - Save the Date - MM short contemporary romace - 153 pages
BOM Discussion (18+)

2 Nov: Adult - The Chestnut Man- dark, Scandinavian crime thriller - 528 pages
red cover; Contemporary genre noted
Trigger warnings: (view spoiler)
BOM Discussion

16 Nov: YA - Two Can Keep a Secret - YA, teen mystery - 336 pages
Young Adult and Contemporary genres noted
BOM Discussion

message 11: by Donna (last edited Sep 18, 2019 09:41AM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Hi team! I am one of your captains for this round of TowerTeams. I have played several times and captained last year as well. As with all of you, I share the love of reading. I will read mostly anything as long as it is fiction.

I live in Pennsylvania with my husband and my kids. I am the proud mom of a marine. I also have 5 fur babies. 4 cats and 1 dog.

I am available most of the day. I do have to supervise my children in their daily cyber school activities so mornings may be a bit busy for me. However, I will always respond so drop me a line here or PM me. I am looking forward to hanging out with y'all.

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 981 comments Hi Donna and all fellow team members! I'm Carrie and I'm from Pennsylvania as well.

I have a daughter who is finishing her Senior year of college and will be graduating with a BS in Bioinformatics. I also have 1 Westie and 2 kitties who seem to rule our house.

I love to travel. My husband is former military so we had the opportunity to live in Europe for several years where I worked as a travel agent and therefore got to travel extensively!

My favorite thing to do is read! I tend to gravitate towards fiction, preferring mystery and nordic noir, but will read pretty much anything.

Looking forward to this challenge (my first time for this one)!

Donna - thanks to your son, you, and your family for his service as a Marine!

message 13: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments Hi Donna (and everyone)! Nice to e-meet you all :)

This is my first time playing TT and I'm very excited to get started!

I live in British Columbia, Canada with my husband and work as an administrator for a financial services firm.

I usually read 2 - 3 hours a day because of my long commute to and from work and will read just about anything. Right now, the genres that I've been gravitating towards are Non Fiction, Literary Fiction, Horror and Science Fiction!

message 14: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

I'm Cait and I currently live in Florida with my husband, three kids (10, 7, and 2) and three dogs. We're a Navy family so we move fairly frequently which I'm excited about because I am not cut out for the south.

My favorite genre is horror. I also love mysteries and psychological thrillers, fantasy, and sci-fi. I'll really read most anything as long as it's not romance.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Navi, you are in for a treat! TT is like the Super Bowl of challenges. We get a little (ok maybe a lot) competitive. The great thing is that this challenge is for everyone. There are always so many components that everyone is happy. We wait all year long for this challenge while those mods of ours tease us the whole time.

message 16: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 476 comments Hey everyone! This is my first TT too. :)

I'm Samantha and I live in Seattle. I work at a credit union as an analyst.

My favorite genres are fantasy/sci-fi and thriller/mystery. Recently a couple friends have been trying to get me to dabble in romance but I think they just like hearing me complain about how horrible the storylines are... hehe.

Super excited for another team challenge. :) They're so fun. Especially after the last WOT, I can see how competitive everyone can get. ;)

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 175 comments Hi all! Another first-timer to TT here, and I'm so excited to see what all the excitement is about!

I'm Sarah and I live in Ohio. I work at a media company running fine art competitions. No kids or pets, just me and my husband in our little haven from the world.

My favorite genres are horror, fantasy, scifi, and LGBT romance, but I'll read anything if it looks interesting enough. I also love a good audiobook, especially on days when I have to commute 2 hours.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

message 18: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments Hello! I am so excited for this challenge. I tend to read fantasy and fiction. I am on EST timezone and am a mood reader.

message 19: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments I'm trying to get all the books on my "Currently Reading" shelf read before TT starts! I have one that I started way back in March lol!

Have any of you started planning for the sin prompts?

message 20: by bamaace83 (new)

bamaace83  | 579 comments Hey y'all! I live outside Louisville and work in a doctor's office. Sometimes my work weeks get crazy which is why I said for sure 3 books a week but sometimes I read closer to 5. I hope this won't mess up the numbers! This is my first time playing TT and I'm super excited. I'm married and we have one dog named Trooper. We love spending time going to sporting events. We are die hard Alabama sports fans, both of us grew up there and we love the Atlanta Braves. I love romance and thrillers the most but am slowly working on broadening my reading. I still don't love sci-fi but I'm getting closer.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 175 comments Navi wrote: "Have any of you started planning for the sin prompts?"

I've been going through my reading list for the next few months and found that I have a ton of dark fantasy, contemporary, and brown covers. So I guess I'll be good for sloth, pride, and wrath!

message 22: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 981 comments I haven’t started planning but it’s on my to do list in the next day or so!!

message 23: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4388 comments Hi fellow Acedias! I'm Sandy and I live in southern California. I've done several TT's before and it's a lot of fun! I do taxes, so my work is seasonal and I won't be working during this challenge (although I do have a bunch of continuing education I need to get done.) I'm divorced with no kids, but I have two fur puppies as well as a cat and a half. I read mostly romance, but I'll read other stuff for challenges. I've started looking for longer books, and I'm going to try to find several for sin bingos.

message 24: by Lexi (last edited Sep 18, 2019 06:16PM) (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments Hi all, I am co-captain and am a PhD student in Boston and taking Part 1 of my Qualifying Exam tomorrow, and the other two parts over the next few weeks. I love sci-fi, fantasy, mystery and thrillers and am up to reading almost anything. I have two cats who are currently driving me nuts.

Anna, Louisville's libraries has one of the best e-book selections I have ever seen if you have access to a relatives or friends library card number. I use my great aunt's with her permission since she never uses the e-books. I grew up just outside of Louisville and went to undergraduate in Birmingham, AL.

For those that are asking on book numbers, we have a range we and all teams can fall within without penalties, which is 30-46, so to be competitive we would want to try to read books that get the bonus points but mostly as Sandy mentioned longer books as points are per page.

message 25: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Hey Team! Navi made us an awesome planning spreadsheet. I made a couple minor changes and put the link in message 6.

message 26: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments Everyone has checked in, great start everyone

message 27: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments Donna wrote: "Hey Team! Navi made us an awesome planning spreadsheet. I made a couple minor changes and put the link in message 6."

Wow, you made it look WAY better! :)

message 28: by Donna (last edited Sep 18, 2019 07:17PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments LOL thank Lexi for that. I only added a column for team members and the dropdowns. She was itching to add that cute little sloth picture and make it all pretty.

message 29: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4388 comments It looks great - thanks Navi, Donna and Lexi!!

message 30: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments I didn’t see the sloth until now! So adorable😭

message 31: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments I have a question about Vanity. Does the book have to have won an award or can it be nominated/shortlisted?

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Any Award as long as it can be linked or appears on Goodreads book page.

Looks like it had to win. Otherwise, it wouldn't be on the book page.

message 33: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments What about this one? It is shortlisted but linked on the main page:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Forgive me if I’m being pedantic lol! I just have a ton of books that are shortlisted for awards but have not won 🙈

message 34: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments Navi wrote: "What about this one? It is shortlisted but linked on the main page:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Forgive me if I’m being pedantic lol! I just have a ton of books that are sh..."

Must have won so no to shortlisted or nominated. (I checked with the captain group).

message 35: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments Oh okay, thanks Lexi!

message 36: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 2271 comments Hello Team Acedia! :)

This is Team Sloth dropping by & wishing You All happy reading! :)

*waving to Sandy & Donna* :)

description

message 37: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Ora from Team Greed

Hi! happy reading!!!

message 38: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments Borrowing from another group but a good reminder for everyone:

“For anyone who has played before: use of all tools beyond eyeball to judge colors of cover have been banned. Mention of them will probably be penalized with penalty points. So, common sense judgement from here on out (Wilder Girls has been deemed a green cover)”

My addition: While people keep saying common sense, feel free to ask the team. I understand issues on where the line between two colors such as pink and red and blue and purple might be. Also, please message me and I can talk to the mods if you are color blind or need to use a computer to help label colors (I have a family member who checks color that way. This is the same family member who used to dye the laundry pink due to seeing red as gray).

Anyway, hope everyone has a good weekend.

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2415 comments Yes, those rabid chipmunks will penalize us if we even mention the dreaded T word. I will remove it from our links.

description

message 40: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4388 comments Happy weekend everyone!! Any fun plans? Not much here - I think my nephew is coming over to swim, I've got some cleaning and other errands to do, and of course, reading. It's supposed to be really hot today and tomorrow here, so mostly taking it easy.

message 41: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments I had no idea it had been banned and would be penalized. Thanks for sharing that, I would have been in trouble.

No weekend plans here. I'm hoping to continue to slowly but surely dig myself out of the reading slump that I found myself in.

message 42: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments No plans for me either but I plan on getting lots of reading done! What are you all currently reading at the moment? :)

I have a few on the go but the one I’ll be trying to finish today is The Last Neanderthal. This is the first book I’ve read that is from the perspective of Neanderthals. Enjoying it so far!

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 175 comments I'm working on finishing some of the really short books on my current stack, since page count will be important for this challenge! Just finished Every Heart a Doorway and The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion, probably going to start on Jackdaw or A Collapse of Horses next.

message 44: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments Happy weekend, I had a two-day take-home test, Thursday and Friday so I am catching up on errands and then class work/research stuff. I have not read much this week because of that test so am hoping to finish the BOM Sorcery of Thorns by tomorrow night, which by the way is a green YA that multiple other people have read this year (sin bingo).

message 45: by Lexi (last edited Sep 21, 2019 08:45AM) (new)

Lexi | 2608 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm working on finishing some of the really short books on my current stack, since page count will be important for this challenge! Just finished Every Heart a Doorway"

How did you like Every Heart a Doorway? I enjoy that series, but the first's ending was not my favorite. I love book 3 and 4.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 175 comments Lexi wrote: "How did you like Every Heart a Doorway? I enjoy that series, but the first's ending was not my favorite. I love book 3 and 4."

I liked it a lot! I love fantasy and horror, and I especially love when they mix, so this was definitely to my taste. It wasn't one of my all-time favorites or anything, but it was a really fun and quick read, and I'll be continuing the series. Glad to hear the later books are good!

message 47: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments I just finished Pop Goes the Weasel and now I'm reading The Gray Wolf Throne.

One of my most anticipated books of the year turned out to be terrible and it put me in a huuuge slump. Trying to kick it before TT gets going! Usually it takes a really intense horror or psychological thriller to do it but I don't have any on hand right now lol

message 48: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 459 comments I’m hoping that I won’t be as busy when it starts

message 49: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4388 comments Cait S wrote: "I just finished Pop Goes the Weasel and now I'm reading The Gray Wolf Throne.

One of my most anticipated books of the year turned out to be terrible and it put me i..."

Have you tried re-reading a book you really love? That often helps me.

message 50: by Navi (new)

Navi (nvsahota) | 618 comments Cait S wrote: "One of my most anticipated books of the year turned out to be terrible and it put me in a huuuge slump. Trying to kick it before TT gets going! Usually it takes a really intense horror or psychological thriller to do it but I don't have any on hand right now lol"

How dark do you like your horror? I recently finished On the Lips of Children. It was a creepy little novella!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25