Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VII > Team Greed

Comments Showing 1-50 of 785 (785 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:27AM) (new)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 29, 2019 04:52AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 08, 2019 04:48AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
Avarice Mini-Challenge Bingo Cards

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 6: by Ora (last edited Oct 17, 2019 08:06AM) (new)

message 7: by Ora (last edited Sep 23, 2019 01:13PM) (new)

message 8: by Ora (last edited Sep 23, 2019 01:11PM) (new)

Ora (oeamis) BOMs
◈ For current BOM (Book of the Month) discussions
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points
If you do participate in the discussion, please answer at least 3 sets of DQs - that way its clear you've been participating; it may also help to reply to a few people also doing the DQs to show participation.
October
Oct 7 Gideon the Ninth BOM thread
Oct 16 Wilder Girls BOM thread
Oct 20 Save the Date Backroom BOM thread

message 9: by Ora (last edited Oct 01, 2019 01:52PM) (new)

Ora (oeamis) Sin Bingo Recommendations from Captain's Group

LUST
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3) by Sophia Nash

ENVY
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn Wilder Girls by Rory Power Graceling by Kristin Cashore The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

PRIDE
Rise of Heroes (Masks #1) by Hayden Thorne The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1) by Avon Gale Brooklyn & Beale by Olivia Evans Part & Parcel (Sidewinder, #3) by Abigail Roux The Mark (The Mark, #1) by Jen Nadol The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer Outsider (Exodus End, #2) by Olivia Cunning Let it Snow by John Green

WRATH
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers We Are Legion (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1) by Marko Kloos A Soldier in Love by A. Petrov Guardian (The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier, #3) by Jack Campbell Dune (Dune, #1) by Frank Herbert

SLOTH
Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman Weaveworld by Clive Barker The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch

GLUTTONY
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Diana the Huntress (The Six Sisters Series) by Marion Chesney Perfecting Fiona A Novel of Regency England - Being the Second Volume of The School for Manners (The School of Manners) by M.C. Beaton The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11) by Stephanie Laurens

GREED
Recursion by Blake Crouch The Rule of One (The Rule of One, #1) by Ashley Saunders The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1) by Megan Crewe Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey The Hive by Barry Lyga

message 10: by Ora (last edited Nov 03, 2019 02:47PM) (new)

Ora (oeamis) Story 1

Adjective for person #One
Person #One's name / role
Ora Claiming Felicity
Judy The Time Traveler's Wife
Adjective for person #Two
Ora Damaged Like Us
Ora Heartless
Ora Royally Endowed
Person #Two's name / role
Judy Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Judy David Copperfield
Sandi Bare-Faced Messiah: The True Story Of L. Ron Hubbard
Where they met
Ora The Shadows
Judy The Shadow of the Wind
Megan The Saturday Night Ghost Club
What they went there for
Ora Power Game
Ora Down and Dirty
Megan The Saturday Night Ghost Club
What #One wore
Sandi Shift
What #Two wore
What #One said to #Two
Ora Just My Type
What #Two said to #One
The consequence (a description of what happened after)
What the world said
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

For more books https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by CiCi (new)

CiCi (cici_miller) | 340 comments r

message 12: by CiCi (new)

message 13: by CiCi (new)

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganraex) | 997 comments Hello lovelies!

Checking in - can't wait to play with you all <3

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 738 comments Hello everyone! Looking forward to playing with everyone. This is my first TT, but not my first challenge. I have played a couple rounds of wheel, UNO, and currently am in Lava.

I have created a tracking sheet we can use.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

I'm open to suggestions on anything I may have missed in the spreadsheet. Anyone who has the link should be able to edit it, but let me know if you have any issues. I included a column with check boxes for when the book is added to the official sheet (I thought this might be helpful for the captains to keep track, but if not feel free to delete).

On the Book Log tab, the points columns will calculate automatically based on the information entered into the other columns (pages and sin criteria specifically).

I included a Book Suggestions tab where we can add in any books we want to remember/recommend and then you just mark which sins it fits under in the other columns.

I have a deep love of spreadsheets and planning, so I may have gone a bit overboard...

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2047 comments Hello everyone!

I'm at work on late shift tonight and have basically nothing to do so this truly is the perfect time for our thread to open!

I've done a couple TTs and they've both been loads of fun - really looking forward to this round 😊

As a fellow overplanner, I looooooove your spreadsheet, Melanie! So fancy! 😍 I put all main options into a much simpler one a couple days ago and while it took way too long, I now actually feel prepared for this challenge.

Can't wait to get started!

message 17: by CiCi (new)

CiCi (cici_miller) | 340 comments Welcome everyone! I'm excited to read & get to know you all!

This is my first TT AND first time as a Co-Captain... so please let me know when when I'm doing bad or good 👍

Melanie... you are a savior. I also share your love of spreadsheets, but truly appreciate that you've already done the work. i just the team members as a drop down option.

I will be sending everyone a friend request (if you haven't already sent me one...) to make it easier to communicate.

message 18: by Lau Maia (new)

Lau Maia Hi everyone

First TT here but I'm participating in lava and really enjoying. I'm in the UK time zone so during your evening I'm usually asleep.

I have a question... Do we have to log in all books read during the challenge or only the ones we want? I'm wondering because of the book limits

message 19: by Kristel (new)

Kristel | 287 comments Hi everyone!

It's my second time playing TT. Last year was super fun and I can't wait for it to start again :)

Usually, captains want us to link to our shelves. So, just in case😅: My TT shelf

message 20: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes Hi.

Checking in. This will be my first TT.
My shelf can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganraex) | 997 comments Oh wow I feel like a bit of a veteran having played all Towers Teams and Wheelathons since the infamous WOBBLE of 2016!

Loving the planning spreadsheet, it looks fab :D

message 22: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2047 comments Megan wrote: "Oh wow I feel like a bit of a veteran having played all Towers Teams and Wheelathons since the infamous WOBBLE of 2016!"

Signups for WOBBLE happened the week I joined this group and back then I was so overwhelmed with everything going on, I didn't dare to sign up 😂 but since then I've played both TT and both Wheels (though neither Lava nor Cutthroat)

message 23: by Abir (last edited Sep 19, 2019 01:36PM) (new)

Abir (abirbee) | 556 comments Hi ladies, pleased to meet you all, and even more to join you on this fantastic round. Not my first TT, and can't wait to start. It's my favorite challenge of the year and I was depressed when it didn't start in May as usual.

I love the spreadsheet Melanie. You have done me a HUGE favore. Thank you. It will help me with my planning, since I hate reading rules and going back to the main thread. I suck at reading rules, so you'll probably hear from me when I have a silly question.

message 24: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2182 comments Hi team! I've played most TTs and looking forward to this round!

message 25: by Abir (new)

Abir (abirbee) | 556 comments Could the captain or co-captain set a link to tineye or any other site just to help us ( and by us I mean me) with book covers, please.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2047 comments Abir wrote: "Could the captain or co-captain set a link to tineye or any other site just to help us ( and by us I mean me) with book covers, please."

Here's TinEye https://labs.tineye.com/color/ 😊

message 27: by Lau Maia (new)

Lau Maia I don't seem to be able to edit the tracking ss, do I need an invite?

message 28: by Lau Maia (new)

Lau Maia It's working now, might have been a bug with the link

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 738 comments Lau Maia wrote: "It's working now, might have been a bug with the link"

Glad it started working. Google Sheets can be wonky sometimes and doesn't work the way it should.

message 30: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Abir wrote: "Could the captain or co-captain set a link to tineye or any other site just to help us ( and by us I mean me) with book covers, please."

I will be setting up links at the top of our thread when I can get on my computer.

message 31: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Hi team! I guess I am a veteran with NRBC challenges. My first team challenge here was the TT before wobble.
This is the only big team challenge I am playing right now. I learned from last year not to overwhelm myself and sometimes just say no to challenges.

I’m not sure if am a planner as far as figuring out which books I will put on hold to read. It’s a 50/50 chance if I will save a book to read if I have to wait more than a couple of weeks unless it’s a reread. I do like SS even though I don't know how to create one.

As far as which books to put in the SS, I would just add all of them. CiCi and I can go through and decide which ones to use if a teammate goes over their books per week. Not sure what the criteria will be with choosing yet other than what we need for tasks we are given.
Also if RL gets in the way during the week, make sure to let the team know so someone could help doing extra reading.

message 32: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Is anyone a BOM reader? I would encourage reading them and doing questions.
Personally the only time I really participate in BOMs is when I am doing a challenge that gives points for them.

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy | 2047 comments Ora wrote: "Is anyone a BOM reader? I would encourage reading them and doing questions.
Personally the only time I really participate in BOMs is when I am doing a challenge that gives points for them."

I usually try to get in at least a couple of BOMs during challenges but neither of the October choices interest me. Will definitely keep my eyes peeled for November though!

message 34: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganraex) | 997 comments For BOMS I'm definitely in for Wilder Girls as it's already pretty high up my TBR pile anyway! Still undecided about Gideon the Ninth though.

message 35: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I will read the BOMs regardless if they interest me or not if I can get them from my library, scribd or free from kindle. Several of the books I have enjoyed even if it was not something I would typically read.

I will not be around too much this weekend. My husband is getting back in town this afternoon and will be leaving again Monday. I know I need to update posts and not sure if I will be able to today. RL sucks some days when there are not enough hours in the days.

message 36: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 2621 comments Hello Team Greed! :)

This is Team Sloth dropping by & wishing You All happy reading! :)

*waving to Megan* :)

description

message 37: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Melindam wrote: "Hello Team Greed! :)

This is Team Sloth dropping by & wishing You All happy reading! :)

*waving to Megan* :)

"

Hi Melindam!!! Happy reading!!!

message 38: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 10027 comments Mod
Another sloth swinging by with waves all around!

Hello you lovely greedy people :-)

message 39: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) HI Eldarwen!!!!

message 40: by Lau Maia (new)

Lau Maia I'll be reading both BOM's and answering DQs, I have the ebooks already ;)

HI Sloths, you're the cutest sin ever <3

message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganraex) | 997 comments Hiya lovely Slothies! :D

*waves back to Melinda* <3

message 42: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 2621 comments Hi Lau Maia! Ora & All.

Hi Megan. ♡

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 738 comments I likely won't read the BOM's. A lot of them tend to be fantasy which I typically don't like so I don't really read it (urban fantasy being the exception).

message 44: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 738 comments Hello team Sloth! I agree with Lau Maia, you guys have the cutest mascot for your sin.

message 45: by Abir (new)

Abir (abirbee) | 556 comments I might do a few BOM's. I might even read Wilder Girls if I can find it on line

message 46: by Abir (new)

Abir (abirbee) | 556 comments just so I got this right, to avoid penalties we have to read between 36 and 45 books per week?

message 47: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes If at all possible, I'd probably not do a BOM, but if needed I'll see if I can get hold of the book to do one.

message 48: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2182 comments If I'm interested in the BOM and can find it for a decent price, I'll join otherwise no.

message 49: by Ora (last edited Sep 20, 2019 05:36PM) (new)

Ora (oeamis) Abir wrote: "just so I got this right, to avoid penalties we have to read between 36 and 45 books per week?"

We can have 80% to 120% of 36 books

I got 28 - 43 books with rounding down. I will double check in the captains group to make sure minimum and maximum number of books we can read without getting a penalty

*edited*
Found in captain group (making 80% 30 books and 120% 46 books)

message 50: by Tammie (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:05PM) (new)

Tammie | 2656 comments description
Hey Team Greed and Ora! Team Invidia says 'hi' ! Happy Reading :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 16