Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VII > Team Envy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,320 (1320 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26 27

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:25AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 08, 2019 04:47AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31134 comments Mod
Avarice Mini-Challenge Bingo Cards

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 6: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Oct 12, 2019 12:12AM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments

💚 Planning Spreadsheet

Members will add books to the planning spreadsheet, and captain and co-captains will make sure all are added to the official team spreadsheet once complete by the deadline.

Note on the Planning Sheet - Everyone can have their own personal planning tab - you do not have to use this, but I have found it helpful to have a space in previous challenges where I can plan without adding anything to the spreadsheet, jot notes, and randomly decorate when board. Design how you want, if you want. =) If you want one, please post in this thread if you need help getting one for your name.

Important Links
💚Rules
💚Points System
💚Word Count (for those books also tagged children)

COUNTDOWN TO END OF WEEK ONE

message 7: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Sep 27, 2019 01:04PM) (new)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments ANNOUNCEMENTS / PROGRESS

◈ Starts October 7th, at 7 AM Sydney Australia (AEST) and goes for 10 weeks, ending on December 16th.

Team Envy's Official Mascot and Good Luck Member, "Moody the Envious Apple"

message 8: by Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (last edited Nov 21, 2019 05:40AM) (new)

BOOK OF THE MONTH Tracking

BOM page counts
Use the following page counts for the BOMs if you read/log them:
🍏 Oct Adult - Gideon the Ninth: 448 pages
🍏 Oct YA - Wilder Girls: 368 pages - Counts as Sin Bingo (Green cover!)
🍏 Oct Adult - The Chestnut Man, 528
🍏 Oct YA - Two Can Keep a Secret, 336
🍏 Nov Adult - Ninth House

October
(view spoiler)

November
💚 Nov 2 The Chestnut Man | BOM thread
↪ Who's Reading: Erin, Suzanne, Lindsay, Chava
💚 Nov 16 Two Can Keep a Secret | BOM thread
↪ Who's Reading: Erin, Logan, Suzanne
💚 Backroom - No Official Monthly Read, buddy reads only

December
💚 Dec 2 The Ninth House | BOM thread
↪ Who's Reading:
💚 Backroom - To Be Announced

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Res

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Res

message 11: by Suzanne (last edited Oct 11, 2019 05:53AM) (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Sinful Pride Points
7 points for achieving Sin Bingo (fits color, top shelf, and sin specification)
5 points for each book used for colour cover (more than 50%)
3 points for each book used for top shelf
1 point for each book used for sin specification (EXCEPT for Avarice, which gets 0 points)

Sin Bingo Books (compiled from captains group and ours

Note: Genre has to be on the first page of "top shelves". Double check before you start reading because sometimes they move!

Lust (Red/Guilty Pleasure/books you lust after or lustful items on cover or steamy book
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8) by Charlaine Harris When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean

Envy (Green/Young Adult/members of other teams have read in 2019
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan (Sloth Melissa read in Aug 2019)
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (Sloth Melindam will read)
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers (Cat Read)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling (Sloth team members read, so did Cat)
Graceling by Kristin Cashore Jammin Jenny Read
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Ghost Town (The Morganville Vampires, #9) by Rachel Caine Ora Read

Pride (Purple/Contemporary/ Award Winning or mirror or jewels on the cover or really shiny or LGBT)
Rise of Heroes (Masks #1) by Hayden Thorne The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer Part & Parcel (Sidewinder, #3) by Abigail Roux Brooklyn & Beale by Olivia Evans The Mark (The Mark, #1) by Jen Nadol The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1) by Avon Gale Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Wrath (Brown/Space Opera/enrages you
but you need to try to make it enrage you :)
We Are Legion (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1) by Frank Herbert Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5) by Pierce Brown The Fated Sky (Lady Astronaut, #2) by Mary Robinette Kowal Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1) by Marko Kloos A Soldier in Love by A. Petrov Guardian (The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier, #3) by Jack Campbell

Sloth (Blue/Dark Fantasy/on your TBR for 2+ years, slow authors, series you had put on hold
You'd have to see about the 3rd requirement - and check the genre to be sure it didn't move!
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5) by Laurell K. Hamilton Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8) by Laurell K. Hamilton Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9) by Laurell K. Hamilton Seduced by Moonlight (Merry Gentry, #3) by Laurell K. Hamilton Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11) by Laurell K. Hamilton Weaveworld by Clive Barker

Gluttony (Pink/Historical Romance/ 600+ pages or in a 12+ series or in a series or author you can't stop binge reading or yummy food on cover
Some possible books, but the third criteria isn't really specified in the captains group:
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Venetia by Georgette Heyer Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Perfecting Fiona A Novel of Regency England - Being the Second Volume of The School for Manners (The School of Manners) by M.C. Beaton Diana the Huntress (The Six Sisters Series) by Marion Chesney The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11) by Stephanie Laurens

Avarice (Yellow/Dystopia/anything goes
The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey The Rule of One (The Rule of One, #1) by Ashley Saunders Recursion by Blake Crouch Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1) by Megan Crewe Authority (Southern Reach, #2) by Jeff VanderMeer

message 12: by Suzanne (last edited Nov 03, 2019 08:43PM) (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Reserved

message 13: by Suzanne (last edited Nov 03, 2019 08:44PM) (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Reserved

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14466 comments Mod
Hello everyone! I have played with many of you before - or at least been in the same team challenges! :)

My first team challenge was TTII which I think was back in 2013. I became a mod here soon after and so have played in tons of NBRC challenges... although in recent years I have been better at resisting when I know it may not fit in with my RL (e.g. cutthroat!).

I live in Sydney (not far from Lisa), run a HR consulting business, have 2 kids (7,4) and I am in my last subject of a Psychology post grad - exam is mid October. It was kind of hard to estimate reading as I will struggle a bit before the exam, but I will just have to get out some shorter books.

I read everything except horror and straight-up romance. Otherwise genres are pretty open - I just like character driven novels. (Although I think I have moved somewhat away from YA Dystopia because it all became so same-same).

I look forward to playing and getting to know you all more!

message 15: by Lauri (new)

Lauri Saplad (otwlauri) | 1267 comments Aloha from Hawaii! I'm Lauri & am very excited to be here! I think this is my 4th Tower Teams... I'm a serial book starter & read several books simultaneously. Sometimes this comes in handy, sometimes not so much... I will read just about anything, but my greatest love is historical fiction. I've been on a kick lately reading cozy mysteries & paranormal.... Go figure!

I work full time as an office assistant at the state hospital. Yes, that's mental hospital! Stop laughing! I'm in the medical records department & mostly handle release of information requests. I've been married for 30 years & we have 1 adult son. My grand passion is reading followed by movies & music...

I look forward to getting to know all of you & adding even more books to my staggering TBR!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5073 comments Hi everyone,

So happy to be playing TT's again, I had so much fun playing TT2 (ah... the puzzles....) that I've signed up every one since. I'm a Mum of 3, grandmother of 4 and apart from my family and books my other passion is travelling. I do Admin for our farming business and am a full time carer for my adult son with Autism.

Looking forward to playing with old friends and meeting new ones.

message 17: by Sally906 (last edited Sep 21, 2019 02:57AM) (new)

Sally906 | 1645 comments Hello all

Another Aussie here - I am from Queensland - same side of Oz as Lisa and Karen but a long day’s drive away.

I am newly retired, but seem to have less time than when I worked! Mum of 2 and grandmother of 3 we moved from one side of Australia to the other about 6 months ago - and for the 6 months before that we were packing and decorating and working full time. Finally ready to get back into team games again.

I’ve played TT a few times now - first time I played was when I met Lisa and Karen.

Looking forwards to meeting and making new reading friends.

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Hi team! I see lots of familiar faces and several new ones. This will be my 4th TT I think? I was a mod for several years, but sadly had to step back as I just couldn’t give the time investment any more, but I still love my NBRC crew and I’m looking forward to playing with all of you!.

I’m in the US in Louisiana. Went back to work last year after being a SAHM for 20 years, and I’ve recently become an empty nester now that both my girls are in college.

Here’s my shelf tower-team-vii

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Hello everyone!! I recognize almost all of you but don't think we've played on a team together like this before on this group, although my memory escapes me at times.

I look forward to playing this round of Towers. It's become my favorite team focused challenge and is always a blast. I put up a planning spreadsheet yesterday, let me know if you run into any issues adding to it or accessing it.

I have almost everyone's team thread added into the spreadsheet, but was having trouble finding the right one for:

LISA - AUSSIE GIRL
Karen ⊰✿
Lauri Saplad

Could you three please link here and I'll go ahead and add it?

Thank you! :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "I read everything except horror and straight-up romance. Otherwise genres are pretty open - I just like character driven novels. (Although I think I have moved somewhat away from YA Dystopia because it all became so same-same)."

I agree with you. Dystopian isn't my favorite genre at all and I avoid it unless well done. I think it's been a bit overdone -- there are still good ones out there though.

message 22: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 1645 comments I love dystopian and have a few on my TBR shelf.

message 23: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Sep 21, 2019 11:48PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5073 comments Sorry, do you mean my shelf link -

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I am having trouble accessing the spread sheet.

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments I sent a request for access too.

I like dystopian, but a lot of YA drives me crazy. I think I just overdosed on it a few years ago :)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Are you meaning the planning or official spreadsheet?

The planning one should be open to everyone without requesting access, but let me go double check

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Okay I just messed with the settings. Will update the link above too

Can everyone see this?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments I can see it now Erin - and wow - it looks so great!! I can't wait to do some planning!

Speaking of which - I'm planning on keeping Post #11 in this thread updated with potential "Sin Bingo" books. So if any of you come across one, let me know and I will add it. I've put in all of the ones I've seen in the captains thread and i'm going to glance through my books now.

message 28: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 1645 comments OK - I might be missing a step here - if I’m reading for envy am I to:

(a) Read YA but HAS to have a green cover, or
(b) either read a book with a green cover OR YA

message 29: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments From what I understand it is like this:

Read any book. It gets its page points no matter what. Then we can choose ONE of the below:
1. If it has a green, red, purple, etc. cover we can get 5 points.
2. If it is one of the listed genres on the first page of top shelves (YA, contemporary, etc.) we can get 3 points
3. If it fits one of the sin specifications - like has food on the cover for gluttony - we can get 1 point.

We cannot combine the above - so each book besides its page number points will likely be worth an additional 1, 3 or 5 points.

BUT - there is also Sin Bingo.
4. If a book qualifies for all three things in a particular sin - like it is a green cover, YA, AND has been read by someone from another team in 2019, then we can get 7 points.

So those are the books I listed in post 11 - ones the captains have come up with that fit (probably) all three qualifications for sin bingo.

Does that make sense? Strategy-wise - I think that it isn't worth stressing over a book that fits a whole bingo - but if you find one you want to read - great! It also seems like it is a good time to read color covers of any genre.

I hope that helps - but be sure to ask if you have questions. And I suspect Erin and Shannon may be better explainers :)

message 30: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Suzanne wrote: "From what I understand it is like this:

Read any book. It gets its page points no matter what. Then we can choose ONE of the below:
1. If it has a green, red, purple, etc. cover we can get 5 point..."

I think you explained it perfectly. ;)

message 31: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Thank you! I was so glad to try to explain books vs. Calculus - my class has online homework due tonight and I've answered at least 50 emails all saying "I'm sure I did this right, but the program..." I try to explain in detail what they need to fix - each response takes me quite a few minutes - and I swear half the time they make the exact same mistake on the next problem, and the next....

Ha and I just got a message saying "I've asked you a bunch of questions and I haven't seen anything." Sigh, it is because they haven't clicked on the little email icon in the program. All 15 of them...

Rant over :) Til the next night homework is due anyway. I think I need to read!

message 32: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 1645 comments Perfect Suzanne - I have copied and pasted that in my word doc where I keep track

I may not always be able to read a sin bingo book - but can aim for the highest points I can.

message 33: by Lauri (last edited Sep 21, 2019 11:19PM) (new)

Lauri Saplad (otwlauri) | 1267 comments Hi Erin! I think I probably forgot to set up my shelf. Sorry about that...
I can't do a link to save my life, but my shelf is ' nbrc-tower-teams-2019 '

I also can't utilize any spreadsheets, so I will be asking for frequent help posting my completed books! I can see the spreadsheet, but just cannot seem to post anything....

Thank you, everyone, in advance!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5073 comments Thanks Erin. All good. Lovely spreadsheet.

I'll just add to the spreadsheet as I'm reading, if that's okay.

message 35: by Emma (M) (new)

Emma (M) | 1693 comments Hi all,

I’m Emma, also Aussie and I live in Canberra. Like many Canberrans I work for the public service.

I’m an older mum with a 3yo son who runs me ragged and keeps me on my toes (he’s climbing over the back of my chair and standing on my hair as I type - fun times, lol).

TT is my favourite team challenge and I can’t wait to start reading great books with you all.

message 36: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) This is Ora from Team Greed

Happy reading!!

message 37: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Lauri wrote: "Hi Erin! I think I probably forgot to set up my shelf. Sorry about that...

I also can't utilize any spreadsheets, so I..."

Adding your books to the spreadsheet is not a problem at all Lauri!

message 38: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Hi everyone!

I just took a little trip down memory lane to see which TT was my first and it was so fun to see how long I’ve been poking around this group! I started with the first TT but don’t remember getting really active until TT2 with Lisa Kay’s amazing puzzles.

Lisa, as soon as you mentioned the puzzles I was like YES! That was the team challenge that got me really active on goodreads and in this group. I captained a team for TT3 and played in IV but the last few years I haven’t been as active. I had a few deaths in the family and moved across the country from Chicago to Orlando, FL. I bought a house and had two career switches too, so it’s been a bit wild for me lately.

Now things are much more stable and I’ve been devoting more time to my reading so I’m getting back to more team challenges. When I saw TT was back i couldn’t resist. I am so looking forward to reconnecting with you all!

message 39: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Hi Logan and Erin! It's so fun getting to meet new people (as well as play with ones I've previously met). I think that is one of my favorite things about challenges. I can read alone just fine, but seeing people who also enjoy reading makes me happy.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Suzanne wrote: "From what I understand it is like this:

1. If it has a green, red, purple, etc. cover we can get 5 point..."

You did a great job explaining it. Now I'm more clear on it too lol

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Suzanne wrote: "Hi Logan and Erin! It's so fun getting to meet new people (as well as play with ones I've previously met). I think that is one of my favorite things about challenges. I can read alone just fine, bu..."

I agree, I love book bonding with read-a-thons and these challenges =)

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Lauri wrote: "Hi Erin! I think I probably forgot to set up my shelf. Sorry about that...

I also can't utilize any spreadsheets, so I..."

That is fine Lauri, you can post completions here and we can add them to the spreadsheet. I just added your shelf link

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Thanks Erin. All good. Lovely spreadsheet.

I'll just add to the spreadsheet as I'm reading, if that's okay."

Yes, that's fine! :)

message 44: by Rose (new)

Rose | 603 comments Hi everybody :)

I'm Rose checking in from Nashville, TN. I think this might be the second time I've played on a mixed US-Aussie team for tower. I've played since 5 (that may be a totally wrong guess). I don't have a genre I don't read, except for self help. Right now plan is to tackle all my large tomes on the TBR I can never justify in other challenges. lol

message 45: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Hi Rose! That is a great plan - I love having a challenge where we can actually read long books!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 4324 comments Suzanne, the list you put together is really helpful. I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find anymore tomorrow that fits the Bingo

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5073 comments Looks like we've got a really great team.. and chatty.. which is always a bonus.

I had a look at the Sin Bingo.. I think that's going to be harder than it looks to get books to fit all three. After doing quite a lot of challenges lately which required really exact tasks when reading a book, (and reading some which normally I wouldn't..) it's going to be great to just read what I fancy and rack up the points that way. And I have a door stopper that's been on my TBR all year Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) by Ken Follett which I really want to get to.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5073 comments Ora wrote: "This is Ora from Team Greed

Happy reading!!

"

Hi Ora... same to you.

I wonder if we ever will be on the same team, we always seem to be frienemies, LOL.

message 49: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3835 comments Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Suzanne, the list you put together is really helpful. I'll look tomorrow and see if I can find anymore tomorrow that fits the Bingo"

Good - I'll keep adding to it! I'm hoping to find at least a few I can read for Bingo - I have one space opera one I'll do for sure - but I'm like the rest of you - not sure how many books I'll actually be able to read for bingo, but I think what Lisa said is a great strategy - reading things that interest you feels like it'd work well!

I have heard good things about Ken Follett - and wow that would be worth a lot of points!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5073 comments I just popped over to the Back Room.. and saw that two of you gals have already volunteered for DQ's. So I'll just participate this month. Reading some of the DQ's and answering them is always such a hoot!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 26 27