Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VII > Team Luxuria

Comments Showing 1-50 of 574 (574 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:30AM) (new)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:31AM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 08, 2019 04:51AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30809 comments Mod
Avarice Mini-Challenge Bingo Cards

Card 1
Card 2
Card 3

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 6: by Deanna (last edited Oct 01, 2019 05:04PM) (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments

Important Links
💋 All About Seven Sinful Towers
💋 Sinful Rules
💋 Sinful Chat

💋 Planning Sheet

Team Shelves
💋 Deanna
💋 Kate S
💋 Camilla
💋 Emelie
💋 Imke
💋 Jennifer
💋 Kristie
💋 Leslie Ann
💋 Monica
💋 Rina

Countdowns
Challenge start by time zone:
💋 October 7th, at 7 AM Sydney Australia (AEST)
💋 October 6th, at 11 PM Helsinki, Finland (EEST)
💋 October 6th, at 10 PM Zürich, Switzerland (CEST)
💋 October 6th, at 4 PM Washington DC, USA (EDT)
💋 October 6th, at 3 PM Chicago, Illinois (CDT)
💋 October 6th, at 2 PM Denver, Colorado (MDT)
actual countdown clock pending

message 7: by Deanna (last edited Sep 20, 2019 03:28PM) (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments 📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚

Points Summary

💃Page Points💃
# of Pages🔹🔹Points per Page
100-499🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸0.1
500-799🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹0.15
800+ 🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸0.2

💃Sinful Pride Points💃
7 points🔹🔹🔹Sin Bingo
5 points🔸🔸🔸Color cover
3 points🔹🔹🔹Top shelf
1 point 🔸🔸🔸sin specification (EXCEPT Avarice, which gets 0 points)

💃BOM Points💃
40 points 🔹🔹🔹Writing 1 day's discussion questions
20 points 🔸🔸🔸Participating in BOM

💃Accuracy Points💃
% Range🔹🔹# Team Books🔹🔹Points
80-120🔸🔸🔸🔸30-46🔸🔸🔸🔸 +50
below 80🔹🔹🔹below 30🔹🔹🔹-20
120-249🔸🔸🔸 46-95🔸🔸🔸🔸-100
over 250🔹🔹🔹over 95🔹🔹🔹-250

💃For Mini-Challenges💃
To be announced...

📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚📚

message 8: by Deanna (last edited Sep 20, 2019 03:31PM) (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments
Sin Tasks Summary
💃Color covers and Top Shelf Genres💃
Sin🔹🔹🔹🔹Color🔹🔹🔹🔹Genre
Lust🔸🔸🔸🔸Red🔸🔸🔸🔸 Guilty Pleasures
Envy🔹🔹🔹🔹Green🔹🔹🔹 Young Adult
Pride🔸🔸🔸 Purple🔸🔸🔸Contemporary
Wrath🔹🔹🔹 Brown🔹🔹🔹 Space Opera
Sloth🔸🔸🔸 Blue🔸🔸🔸🔸Dark Fantasy
Gluttony🔹🔹Pink🔹🔹🔹🔹Historical Romance
Greed🔸🔸🔸 Yellow🔸🔸🔸Dystopia

💃Sin Criteria💃
💋Lust🔸Books that you lust after (new releases- published 2019 or ARCs - , your favorite author, everybody has read but you, gorgeous covers, etc...). Books with lustful items on the cover (High heels, handcuffs, silk ribbons, Lace, bondage, ...). Books that are too steamy for hot weather!
💋Envy🔹Books that members from other teams have read (during 2019)
💋Pride🔸Only Award-Winning Books - Any Award as long as it can be linked or appears on Goodreads book page. Books with a mirror or jewels on the cover. Really Shiny books. LGBT books.
💋Wrath🔹Books that enrage you (series that should have ended already, really hateful characters, some turn that made you froth at the mouth, etc)
💋Sloth🔸Books that have been on your TBR for at least 2 years. Books from authors that take a long time to write the next installment on a series (Yes Patrick Rothfuss, George R.R. Martin and Abigail Roux we're looking at you!). Books from a series that you put on hold and are taking a long time to get back to it.
💋Gluttony🔹600+ page books. Books in a very long series (12+ books). Books from a series or author that you can't stop binge reading. Books that have covers you want to eat (i.e covers that have food or drink on them. Yes, chocolate covered strawberries count)
💋Greed🔸Anything Goes (i.e. a book you can't fit in elsewhere)

message 9: by Deanna (last edited Oct 02, 2019 10:15AM) (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments 📚Books of the Month📚

📙October📙

Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1) by Tamsyn Muir Wilder Girls by Rory Power Save the Date by Annabeth Albert

Gideon the Ninth discussion thread starts October 7
Wilder Girls discussion thread starts October 16
Save the Date discussion thread in NBRC Back Room starts October 20

💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠💠

Sin Bingo Recommendations from Captain's Group

LUST
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2) by Julia Quinn When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Duke Diaries (Royal Entourage, #3) by Sophia Nash

ENVY
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn Wilder Girls by Rory Power Graceling by Kristin Cashore The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #4) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

PRIDE
Rise of Heroes (Masks #1) by Hayden Thorne The Love Song of Sawyer Bell (Tour Dates, #1) by Avon Gale Brooklyn & Beale by Olivia Evans Part & Parcel (Sidewinder, #3) by Abigail Roux The Mark (The Mark, #1) by Jen Nadol The Sleeping Beauty Proposal by Sarah Strohmeyer Outsider (Exodus End, #2) by Olivia Cunning Let it Snow by John Green

WRATH
Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1) by Becky Chambers We Are Legion (Bobiverse, #1) by Dennis E. Taylor Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1) by Marko Kloos A Soldier in Love by A. Petrov Guardian (The Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier, #3) by Jack Campbell Dune (Dune, #1) by Frank Herbert

SLOTH
Neverwhere (London Below, #1) by Neil Gaiman Weaveworld by Clive Barker The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch

GLUTTONY
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Diana the Huntress (The Six Sisters Series) by Marion Chesney Perfecting Fiona A Novel of Regency England - Being the Second Volume of The School for Manners (The School of Manners) by M.C. Beaton The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11) by Stephanie Laurens

GREED
Recursion by Blake Crouch The Rule of One (The Rule of One, #1) by Ashley Saunders The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1) by Megan Crewe Dust (Silo, #3) by Hugh Howey The Hive by Barry Lyga

message 10: by Deanna (last edited Oct 17, 2019 03:53PM) (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments SLOTH Mini-Challenge Summary

Collecting Points
Unique Tricky Collection = 69 points
(7 points per animal + 20 points for collection)

Unique Easy Collection = 35 points
(5 points per animal + 10 points for collection)

Duplicate Animals are 1 point each (maximum 7 of same animal)

Maximum total animal count = 21

Tricky Animals
(view spoiler)

Easy Animals
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Mine

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Reserved

message 13: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Welcome to Luxuria!

Looking forward to another round of Tower Teams. Hope everyone is excited and ready for the October start.

message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1770 comments Yay, thread open! I'm Camilla from Finland, looking forward to playing with you (think I've been in some earlier team challenges with many of you, and currently in Lava with Leslie Ann). TT is one of my favorite team challenges, I think it might have been the first team challenge I participated in after joining the group. My most often read genres are fantasy, scifi, thrillers and horror, I also read quite a lot of non-fiction. Prefer to avoid Westerns and erotica. I have a few thousand books on my kindle (we don't have access to Kindle Unlimited here), so often I'm able to find a suitable book for a task. I work full time as a school psychologist, but I'm around in the evenings (GMT -2) and weekends.

message 15: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Welcome everyone!

I'm Deanna, your captain for this splendidly sinful edition of Tower Teams. I'm thrilled to be teaming up with Kate for another tower teams challenge. I will get the links and basic information posted in the reserved threads above here during the day tomorrow. As always feel free to ask either Kate or I any questions that you may have.

A little about me: I'm a homeschooling mom with two girls in college and two boys in 6th and 10th grade. I love reading all kinds of books, but I most often read fantasy, science fiction, and mystery books. I have a few really long space opera books that I've been putting off for tower teams, so I'm excited that space opera made the genre list.

Final housekeeping item, please post a link to your tower teams shelf. Here is mine.

message 17: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 2122 comments Hello Team Luxuria! :)

This is Team Sloth dropping by & wishing You All happy reading! :)

*waving to Deanna, Camilla, Rina* :)

description

message 18: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Ora from Team Greed

Hi! happy reading

message 19: by Rina (new)

Rina | 584 comments Hi, I am Rina from Switzerland. This is my first TT, I am looking forward to playing it with you all :-)

My shelf

message 20: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Hi, I am Imke and I am from the Netherlands. Can't wait to start this TT.
You can find my shelve here.

I don't tend to plan my books ahead of time, but I am planning to join in some of the BOM's. The one for Gideon the Ninth for sure. And I think I also have the YA BOM on my shelves.

message 21: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Well shoot! I must have forgotten to hit post earlier.

Welcome Camilla, Rina, and Imke!

message 22: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3192 comments Hi all! I'm Kristie from the US. I haven't participated in TT for a while. I'm looking forward to a fun team challenge. Nice to meet you all!

My TT shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 23: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Kristie wrote: "Hi all! I'm Kristie from the US. I haven't participated in TT for a while. I'm looking forward to a fun team challenge. Nice to meet you all!

My TT shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/13..."

Welcome Kristie!

message 24: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3192 comments Thanks, Deanna! And thank you for taking on the captain duties!

message 25: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 531 comments Hi guys,
Looking forward to playing! Here is my shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 26: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 402 comments Hello all!

Just gotten back home from a vacation. Looking forward to another Tower Team! The reading highlight of the year, haha.

I'm Emelie, from Sweden.

I'm gotta familiarise myself with all that's happening in this round of TT.

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... (does this link work? I always forget how to send it in!)

message 27: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Welcome Leslie Ann and Emelie! (Yes, the link works. Thanks!)

message 28: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 402 comments Great, and thank you!

I've familiarised myself a bit more with the rules re reading. I pretty much read any genre so I'm kinda flexible with that. The different criteria sound fun as well. I'm not a planner, so I usually never plan ahead which book I want to read, but grab one that I'm in the mood for, and that of course fit the requirements for the challenge.

message 29: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments Hi guys! I finally found my team!! I am excited to be doing the TT again!! Here is my TT Shelf

My name is Monica! I live in the United States in Pennsylvania. Can't wait to get started.

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1087 comments Hello! Happy Fall. I'm very excited for TT again. This is my favorite challenge. My name is Jennifer and I live in the US in Arizona.

Tower Teams VII

I read a little of everything.

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1087 comments Question for Captain and co-captain - will you be giving all of us access to the spreadsheet to enter our books or do you prefer to do all the entering and just have us make a completion post here?

message 32: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Welcome Jennifer and Monica!

message 33: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Jenn wrote: "Question for Captain and co-captain - will you be giving all of us access to the spreadsheet to enter our books or do you prefer to do all the entering and just have us make a completion post here?"

Kate and I will do the data entry on the official spreadsheet. I'll be making a planning spreadsheet which everyone can acess. Anyone wishing to can enter their own books. We are currently down one computer at my house, so every time I grab the laptop to do the spreadsheet, one of the kids inevitably needs to use it for school. I'll get the planning sheet posted by the end of the week.

message 34: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 402 comments It's getting closer to the start line! How you're feeling team?! 🤓

message 35: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Emelie wrote: "It's getting closer to the start line! How you're feeling team?! 🤓"

I'm excited! I've been scouring the library and Overdrive looking for books to read.

message 36: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Question of the Day

One of my favorite aspects to these challenges is that I can read some of those longer books that I have been neglecting because it is so much easier to fill tasks for other challenges with short books.

Do you have any long books that have been languishing on your tbr shelves that you are considering reading? Do you have any favorite long books that you would recommend?

I have The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton which I have checked out twice from the library and not yet read sitting in my library bag, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson on hold. I might join the buddy read of Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) by Ken Follett as well.

I guess the later Harry Potter books would be on the favorites list. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

message 37: by Rina (last edited Sep 29, 2019 01:23PM) (new)

Rina | 584 comments Hmm, I have some that I want to read during this challenge:

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco Shahnameh The Persian Book of Kings by Abolqasem Ferdowsi

If I am in a mood for Epic/High Fantasy
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1) by Robert Jordan The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie

And maybe Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon , but probably not.

message 38: by Kristie (last edited Sep 29, 2019 04:17PM) (new)

Kristie | 3192 comments Looking forward to starting. I'll be sure to wrap up all my current reads right before this starts and have a pile waiting. I always have a list of books to read for real life book clubs, reviews, challenges, etc, so I don't often have much time to devote to other 'just for fun' reads. I am planning to read The Institute the end of the month as my Halloween read though, just because, and it is at least over 500 pages.

message 39: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 402 comments One of my fav reads this year has been We That Are Young by Preti Taneja We That Are Young, which is about 500p.

Also am considering reading the later HP books since it's been a good while, and I began re-reading the series for last years TT.

Another all-around fav is At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neill At Swim, Two Boys, almost 600p.

I have a hate-love relationship with long books; whilst I enjoy sinking into a good read, I also get retsless - I have other books I want to read too! Lol.

message 40: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Just about a week to go! Getting excited.

Here's my shelf: sinful-tower

I have a big knitting project I am working on throughout October, so I will be using a few audiobooks. I prefer long ones, nothing like coming to the end of a book in the middle of a row to bum me out!

I don't have any specific titles picked out, but I am coming to the end of The Passage, so I am likely to be ready to start The Twelve around the beginning of the challenge.

A few of my favorite bigger books are I Know This Much Is True, Kane and Abel, The Stand and a couple of classics: Jane Eyre and The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 41: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Rina wrote: "Hmm, I have some that I want to read during this challenge:

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoShahnameh The Persian Book of Kings by Abolqasem Ferdowsi

..."

I may add The Eye of the World to my list as well. I have been trying to get my hands on it for a while now.

message 42: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Kristie wrote: "Looking forward to starting. I'll be sure to wrap up all my current reads right before this starts and have a pile waiting. I always have a list of books to read for real life book clubs, reviews, ..."

I like King's books, too! May be too early for me to get into my plan, but it's worth a shot.

message 43: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1839 comments Emelie wrote: "One of my fav reads this year has been We That Are Young by Preti Taneja We That Are Young, which is about 500p.

Also am considering reading the later HP books since it's bee..."

At Swim, Two Boys has been on my TBR for a long time, this may give me the motivation to move it up on the list. Thanks for the recommendation.

message 44: by Monica (new)

Monica (nutz4reading) | 781 comments Well I don't have any books that I plan to read for this challenge specifically. I am currently in a challenge for Series and have to read a book a week for that so I will be using those books for this challenge if possible.

I have so many books on my TBR list that I want, that those are the ones I will be looking at reading, plus any book club reads I have to read during this challenge.

I am also trying to do a re-read of the Harry Potter books again so I might read some of them.

message 45: by Emelie (new)

Emelie | 402 comments Kate S wrote: "Emelie wrote: "One of my fav reads this year has been We That Are Young by Preti Taneja We That Are Young, which is about 500p.

Also am considering reading the later HP books..."

You're welcome! I hope you'll enjoy it when/if you get to it. Not being all that familiar with Irish history, it was an interesting read educationally as well, gave me a bit of better understanding about Irish issues.

It's an LGBT book, so it would fit for Pride, at least.

message 46: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1770 comments I'm still tied up with the Lava challenge, so haven't had time to plan any reading beyond this week. I have quite a lot of library books I need to get through, so I'll probably do a lot of them. I also usually have two audiobooks going on, one in the car and the other one on the phone.

message 47: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1087 comments Emelie wrote: "It's getting closer to the start line! How you're feeling team?! 🤓"

I can't wait!

message 48: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (engelsigh) | 1087 comments Hmmm long books....Since it is October and I like creepy things maybe I can finally get around to Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi The Cities of Dead (The Casquette Girls, #3) by Alys Arden A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2) by Libba Bray

message 49: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2695 comments Rina wrote: "Hmm, I have some that I want to read during this challenge:

The Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoShahnameh The Persian Book of Kings by Abolqasem Ferdowsi

..."

I've had the first two high fantasy on my tbr for a while. I have to be in the right mood to read that genre. Maybe I'll try one for this challenge.

Kristie wrote: "Looking forward to starting. I'll be sure to wrap up all my current reads right before this starts and have a pile waiting. I always have a list of books to read for real life book clubs, reviews, ..."
I haven't read any Steven King because I'm not really a fan of the horror genre. I've been thinking that I might try The Gunslinger for Halloween.

Jenn wrote: "Hmmm long books....Since it is October and I like creepy things maybe I can finally get around to Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi [bookcover:The Cities of De..."

I started the All Souls Trilogy and enjoyed the first two books. I think I'll add book 3 to my ideas list for the challenge, so I can finish up the series.

message 50: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann | 531 comments I am in the Lava challenge so haven’t planned anything yet. Looking forward to playing!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12