Sabriel (Abhorsen,  #1)
This topic is about Sabriel
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Sabriel [September 23, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

Tammie | 3892 comments Thanks Margret!

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Hope you guys like this... I might join if you guys make it to the newer ones before I do... I read Sabriel & Lirael with Narilka back in February/March, and Abhorsen a few weeks ago alone... all I have left are Clariel and Goldenhand...

Tammie | 3892 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Hope you guys like this... I might join if you guys make it to the newer ones before I do... I read Sabriel & Lirael with Narilka back in February/March, and Abhorsen a few weeks ago alone... all I..."

I hope I like it too!

Gaea | 90 comments Ahh I'm looking forward to this!

Also, thanks, Margret~

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Talking animals... they seal the deal for me...

message 7: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments Sounds like a fun read!!

message 8: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Joining this if I may :)

Tammie | 3892 comments Olivia wrote: "Joining this if I may :)"

Of course!

message 10: by Gaea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaea | 90 comments Started! I stopped at the end of Chapter 2.

I'm not sure if everything I comment about would be considered spoiler-y... but I'll hide it all, just in case, yeah? Sorry if it ends up reading like too much rambling haha...

(view spoiler)

Tammie | 3892 comments I still haven't started but will be getting to it soon. I can't wait to see what everyone thinks.

message 12: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Just read the first chapter. Intrigued :)

Tammie | 3892 comments Gaea wrote: "Started! I stopped at the end of Chapter 2.

I'm not sure if everything I comment about would be considered spoiler-y... but I'll hide it all, just in case, yeah? Sorry if it ends up reading like t..."

Everything you said in your spoiler is spot on exactly the way I feel so far.

message 14: by Tammie (last edited Sep 29, 2019 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tammie | 3892 comments Ok I finished this and I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. I would give it 3.5 stars.

The book started off slow. The story picked up for me after Mogget was introduced. I thought the world was interesting but the world building wasn't as well thought out as I would have liked. With the exception of Mogget, the characters were a little dull in general, and lacked depth. The romance was kind of blah and not well developed. I liked the magic and the fact that the book included necromancers. It's not something I've read a lot of.

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Tammie wrote: "Ok I finished this and I liked it a lot, but didn't love it. I would give it 3.5 stars.

The book started off slow. The story picked up for me after Mogget was introduced. I thought the world was ..."

That was my general feeling as well, and probably why I was so easily able to wait 6 months between book 2 & 3... book 2 adds the Disreputable Dog to the mix... talking dog to go with the talking cat (that shows back up after awhile)...

Tammie | 3892 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "That was my general feeling as well, and probably why I was so easily able to wait 6 months between book 2 & 3... book 2 adds the Disreputable Dog to the mix... talking dog to go with the talking cat (that shows back up after awhile)..."

I'm not sure I will read the sequels. Did you think they were better than this book?

message 17: by Gaea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaea | 90 comments I've only just reached Chapter 6 and I'm still struggling with this. The writing style is just not clicking with me, and I don't feel connected to Sabriel.

But I refuse to give up. >.<
Am really looking forward to the story's pace picking up.

Tammie | 3892 comments Gaea wrote: "I've only just reached Chapter 6 and I'm still struggling with this. The writing style is just not clicking with me, and I don't feel connected to Sabriel.

But I refuse to give up. >.<
Am really l..."

I had a hard time connecting with her too.

message 19: by Gaea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gaea | 90 comments FINISHED! I feel so happy I didn't give up early on haha~

@Tammie, I agree with everything you said about the world building and characters, etc. The story definitely picked up after Mogget was introduced - and he is definitely my favourite character! Not that that's too hard, seeing as the others were pretty much bland in comparison. Plus, Sabriel's habit of judging others over even small things made me feel a bit irritated towards her

In terms of world-building, I kind of both liked and disliked the amount of description the author gave. It was nice having the details to imagine the world with, but at the same time, it was like much of the stuff I was reading wasn't really important to the story at all. I definitely liked the magic, and think it's awesome that necromancy played such a big role. I just wish we had been given more to understand how said magic worked. (view spoiler)

As for the romance, well... It felt like a random plot device that was just tossed in there for some flavour - it didn't really contribute anything to the story. They could have easily ended up as friends, or maybe as companions with the potential for romance blossoming between them, (view spoiler).

Still, I gave it 4/5 stars. Despite the writing style and the slow start, I found the world, the magic and the overall plot to be interesting. I'll most likely pick up the second book at some point... but I don't feel the burning need to do so any time soon.

Are you going to?

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments Tammie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "That was my general feeling as well, and probably why I was so easily able to wait 6 months between book 2 & 3... book 2 adds the Disreputable Dog to the mix... talking dog to..."

The first book is relatively self-contained... books 2 & 3 are two halves of a single story about the next Abhorsen and the son of the characters from the first book... the 4th and 5th books (which I haven't read yet) were written over a decade later, and seem connected to the characters from books 2-3...

I don't think it would hurt to call it quits if that's what you want to do... I think the quality is about the same, really...

Tammie | 3892 comments Gaea wrote: "FINISHED! I feel so happy I didn't give up early on haha~

@Tammie, I agree with everything you said about the world building and characters, etc. The story definitely picked up after Mogget was i..."

I probably will not read the rest of the books.

Narilka | 2476 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "That was my general feeling as well, and probably why I was so easily able to wait 6 months between book 2 & 3... book 2 adds the Disreputable Dog to the mix......"

Book 4 is a prequel of sorts. Book 5 happens directly after 2&3.