What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Dark Is Rising
This topic is about The Dark Is Rising
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED: Fantasy, Searching for Belt Pieces and Male Protagonist's Mother Breaks Arm from Being Startled by Lightning [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla  (owlegory) So, my teacher read this fantasy book to my class when I was in fourth grade (2003-2004). I don't think it was a new book back then, so I'm not sure if that helps.

Basically, what I remember is a girl (I think?) who had to collect these belt buckles, essentially, and complete a belt before some unnamed source of evil destroyed the world. I believe each "buckle" was made of a different material - wood, metal, etc. and represented different elements.

I vividly remember her going to a castle or some giant dwelling and the force took the voice of her mother, trying to coax her into coming out.

Then, the reader finds out that the protagonist's mother died while he/she was away in this castle. The mother was at the top of the stairs and this unnamed forced made lightning strike, which startled the mother, and she fell down the stairs and died.

That is all I remember, and though I have tried searching online, nothing has come up.

Also, I know the Deltora Quest series pops up because it has to do with finding gemstones for a belt, but this is not the book/series I'm looking for (although I did read and love those books as a child, too!)

Thank you in advance for your help! I will try to answer any questions to the best of my ability!

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 616 comments Not quite accurate- it's 'The Dark Is Rising' by Susan Cooper. The protagonist is a boy-Will Stanton. While looking for the last 'buckle' (circular items with a cross through the middle) his mother does fall downstairs, but only breaks her arm.

message 3: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla  (owlegory) Ah, time sure does distort memories. Thank you, I've been wanting to revisit the novel after all these years! (Okay, maybe not that many years...but still).

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 7003 comments Mod
Kayla--so is it The Dark is Rising? (and, btw, are you aware that's part of a series? Excellent series, I loved it as a kid.)

message 5: by Kayla (new) - added it

Kayla  (owlegory) Yes, it is, and yes, I am! I haven't read the series, but I think I just might do that! :)