What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Sci-Fi short stories. 1) Boy teleports to ocean cave, father starts cult. 2) Future girl has to pay off dead father's debts. 3) Men travel more easily to other dimension. 4) Two dimensions collide, mess up reality & memories.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Piper (new)

Piper | 2 comments I've been dying trying to look for this book I read a few years ago. The first story is about this boy who has strange dreams/visions of this fantasy world where there might be mermaids and also this sea cave. But it turns out that the place is real, and he's the first person to make the connection, forever altering the future. I can't remember the rest of the stories too much except some key factors:
- They all connect to the multi-dimensional theme
- Take place at different times and with different characters
- Deal with other issues like debt, technology and the lack of privacy, and other strange futuristic things
I also remember in one of the stories that there was this resin stuff that was really similar to spice in the book "Dune" and that males can travel through the dimensions easier, causing women to be devalued in society.
Anyways, the book really stayed with me, even though I'm not an avid reader. I really hope someone knows this book because it's fantastic!

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 24, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

Kris | 32198 comments Mod
Piper, what do the short stories have in common (e.g., written by the same author, mermaids, same fictional world, romance, etc.)? Fantasy and science fiction? About how many stories in the book?

Is this book for older adults or teens (young adults)?

In the first short story, how old is the boy?

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Piper is still looking for this and wrote:

"There were about 4 stories, each with "black mirror"esque themes, probably written in the 90s-2000s. I read it probably in the early 2010s. I think I remember the cover had a door or a window with clouds, but I' not sure.

The first story was about a boy who finds he can travel to a fantasy dimension. I remember he goes teleports to this ocean cave and maybe there were mermaids? It seemed to take place in the 80s/90s and I think the boy's father starts a cult because of his powers.

The second was about a girl in the future who has to pay off the debts of her dead father and there was the constant surveillance reality show going on, where someone was constantly being filmed.

The third was further in the future where travel to the other dimension was commonplace, but for some reason, men were better at traveling, so women were seen as weaker and so there were fewer of them. I remember that there was this ad promoting daughters since so many people had sons instead. And in order to travel, you had to take "resin" which was addictive and sort of like the spice from "Dune".

The fourth story was way in the future when apparently the two dimensions collided and messed up reality and there were weird fragmented memories everywhere."

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32198 comments Mod
Piper, I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Feel free to update it clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)