Horror Aficionados discussion

Horror Sub-Genres > Gaslight Horror

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6519 comments Subgenre of both horror and historical fiction, typically either a Victorian or Edwardian setting.

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments This genre sounds really cool

message 5: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Dracula will never get old

message 6: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Dracul by Dacre Stoker Dracul

message 8: by Ken B (new)

Ken B | 6519 comments WendyB wrote: "Anno DraculaAnno Dracula (Anno Dracula, #1) by Kim Newman"

That's also a steampunk horror title. I find Kim Newman very hard to read. It is tough getting into his writing style for me.

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments Haunted Castles by Ray Russell has two stories that I think fit, "Sardonicus" and "Sagittarius."

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes

The Man in the Picture by Susan Hill

Set a bit before Victoria, I believe, but too good not to mention: The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers

There are titles I'd call more associated but not horror, still possibly of interest:
Mary Reilly
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter
A Study in Terror

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 1893 comments The Alienist; mostly under the Mystery genre; but can be a little creepy, just like We Have Always Lived in a Castle.

message 12: by Tabsie (new)

Tabsie | 41 comments Before the Fact by Francis Iles.

If you have ever seen the Alfred Hitchcock movie Suspicion, this is a great read-along. The ending of the book is darker than the movie - the movie is less gaslighting, but the novel - oh!

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Chandler (new)

Chandler | 148 comments One of my favorites is The Picture of Dorian Gray The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

It's a classic for a reason.

message 14: by Avenashi (new)

Avenashi | 2 comments What exactly is "gaslight horror"?

message 15: by Arka (new)

Arka Chakraborty (johnnyliono) | 103 comments Sasha wrote: "What exactly is "gaslight horror"?"

Horror set in victorian or pre-victorian times...like Dracula.

message 16: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (warrior1775) | 2 comments Arka wrote: "Sasha wrote: "What exactly is "gaslight horror"?"

Horror set in victorian or pre-victorian times...like Dracula."

Really? I thought it was psychological manipulation horror (i.e. to gaslight someone).

message 17: by Alan (new)

Alan | 4785 comments Mod
Arthur wrote: "Arka wrote: "Sasha wrote: "What exactly is "gaslight horror"?"

Really? I thought it was psychological manipulation horror (i.e. to ..."

Being "gaslighted" is psychological manipulation.
Gaslight horror is Victorian era-ish time frame.

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 250 comments "To gaslight" comes from the play, Gaslight, later made into two 1940s movies, one British and the other one American (Ingrid Bergman, Charles Boyer). It was set in Victorian times.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments If I ever start reading more I definitely need to check out this genre.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 40 comments Yes I too thought gaslight would be like george Cukor’s movie of said name where someone is manipulating someone else to make them think they are crazy...like the girl on the train and secret history...I suppose strangers on a train is also similar except it was more of a deal with the devil without realizing it rather than someone trying to deceive or trick someone else...
Cheers though, definitely not trying to pick on you!
All of this just got me thinking about how much I enjoy deceivers, Tom Ripley of Patricia highsmith fame is certainly one of the best and my favorite in this genre!

message 21: by Lora (new)

Lora Milton | 202 comments Arka wrote: "Sasha wrote: "What exactly is "gaslight horror"?"

This is a thread I should follow. I love this combination!