Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > Graphic Novels & Comics - October 2019

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5860 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Graphic Novels & Comics nominee The Prince and the Dressmaker in October. The winner for this genre was Herding Cats. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Additional nominees:
Am I There Yet? The Loop-de-Loop, Zigzagging Journey to Adulthood
Be Prepared
Bingo Love
Black Bolt, Vol. 1: Hard Time (Black Bolt (Collected Editions) #1)
Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event (Black Hammer #2)
Brazen: Rebel Ladies Who Rocked the World (Les Culottées #1-2)
Check, Please!: #Hockey, Vol. 1 (Check, Please! #1-2)
Fence Vol. 1 (Fence #1-4)
Gone Rogue (Wires and Nerve #2)
Hey, Kiddo
Little Moments of Love
Monstress, Vol. 3: Haven (Monstress #3)
Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca (Ms. Marvel (Collected Editions) #8)
Paper Girls, Vol. 4 (Paper Girls #4)
Sabrina
Saga, Vol. 8 (Saga #8)
The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins (The Adventure Zone Graphic Novels #1)
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part 2 (The Wicked + The Divine #6)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I don't read a lot of graphic novels, but I do pick one up occasionally. The only one I have read from this list is Herding Cats, which I thought was ok. You can read my review here.

I have read the Saga series through volume 7, but just don't have any interest in reading more of it. So, Saga, Vol. 8 never made it onto my TBR.

I am interested in The Prince and the Dressmaker, but won't be able to read it with the group. I saw that it was available at my library but didn't want to get it too early. When I went back to check on it, it suddenly had two holds and will now not be available until some time in November. I may still get around to it eventually, but I'm not in a hurry since I won't have it in time for the group read anyway.

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2006 comments Mod
I discovered Monstress this year and really enjoyed the first book so I'll certainly read that one.
I also want to try the wicked and the divine (I'm not sure I'll make it to book #6).

I've read Saga vol 8 and it was great. Herding cats was a meh for me.

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (elleay) | 9 comments I read Herding Cats and agree with others who thought it was just meh. Sabrina, though long-listed for the Man Booker Prize, left me underwhelmed. The Prince and the Dressmaker was really cute and the artwork was fun. Well worth a read.

I started the Monstress series when it first came out and was very impressed by the story line and the fantastic artwork. I only got through half of the second volume before life happened. I do plan on continuing the series though. I've also read the Saga series through volume 7 and have enjoyed it for the most part. Holding off on reading volume 8 since I hear it's a doozy of a plot twist. I'll need volume 9 ready to jump into right away and that's not happening for a while since Brian K. Vaughan and company are taking a Saga hiatus.

I plan to check out The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins. It was recommended to me and I'll be interested to see how something that started as a podcast translates to graphic novel.