Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > YA Fantasy - October 2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5834 comments Mod
The group voted to read the YA Fantasy nominee The Cruel Prince in October. The winner for this genre was Kingdom of Ash. We will also be reading Children of Blood and Bone, which was a nominee in this genre, in November because it won the Debut Author category. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Additional nominees:
A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1)
A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3)
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha #1)
Dread Nation (Dread Nation #1)
Legendary (Caraval #2)
Lifel1k3 (Lifelike #1)
Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer #2)
Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3)
Restore Me (Shatter Me #4)
Sightwitch (The Witchlands #2.5)
Sky in the Deep
Skyward (Skyward #1)
The Belles (The Belles #1)
The Fates Divide (Carve the Mark #2)
The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood #1)
Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe #2)
War Storm (Red Queen #4)
Wildcard (Warcross #2)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2019 05:34AM) (new)

I am interested in reading Dread Nation. I have purchased it and just not had the chance to read it yet.

I have several series reads that I might be interested in:
Muse of Nightmares
A Reaper at the Gates
Sightwitch
Thunderhead

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1) by Justina Ireland Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir Sightwitch (The Witchlands, #2.5) by Susan Dennard Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman

message 4: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
Thunderhead was amazing. I highly recommend this series.
Skyward was great and I really hate science fiction generally. This author is incredible. This book is definitely in the YA category (compared to his other books).
A Court of Frost and Starlight was ok while waiting for the rest of this series (guilty pleasure).

I really want to read Children of Blood and Bone (next month) and A Reaper at the Gates.

Maybe:
Muse of Nightmares (I have to read the 1st one before) and Sky in the Deep

Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccalogan) | 10 comments I've been wanting to read The Cruel Prince! I just put it on hold but may not get it for a few weeks. I love Holly Black's books 😍

message 6: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

@Jessica, we're currently discussing the cruel prince if you want to join. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccalogan) | 10 comments Thank you, @Savanes - so sorry I got here late. Work got really busy...so many books and not enough time! I'm reading Cruel Prince now and I'll enjoy reading everyone's comments :-)

message 8: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

It's never too late Jessica! :)