What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA novel; popular football player almost dies, recovers, claims he knows how to make the school better

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia | 1 comments I read the first few chapters of this book sometime in the last 4 years (likely more recent than that). I assume that the book was fairly new and was released around that time since it was in the "new in young adults" section at Barnes and Noble's, and I also remember that the front cover of the book was blue. What I remember from the inside flap was the main character talked about how his school sucks, and then a popular jock-football player is involved in an accident where he almost dies. He then returns to school saying that God (or something like that), a divine revelation, told him the secret of how to make the school better and that everybody would have to work together to achieve it. Please let me know if you know this book!

message 2: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1253 comments Searching "young adult" "football" "accident" "make the school a better place" this book came up:
Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton.
Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton
Cliff Hubbard is a huge loser. Literally. His nickname at Happy Valley High School is Neanderthal because he's so enormous — 6'6" and 250 pounds to be exact. He has no one at school and life in his trailer park home has gone from bad to worse ever since his older brother's suicide.

There's no one Cliff hates more than the nauseatingly cool quarterback, Aaron Zimmerman. Then Aaron returns to school after a near-death experience with a bizarre claim: while he was unconscious he saw God, who gave him a list of things to do to make Happy Valley High suck less. And God said there's only one person who can help: Neanderthal.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35145 comments Mod
Mai's suggestion of Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe by Preston Norton sounds very promising. Here's the Google Books preview:

https://books.google.com/books?id=--M...