Reading 1001 discussion

The Magus
This topic is about The Magus
1001 book reviews > The Magus - John Fowles

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Sep 17, 2019 09:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristel (kristelh) | 3821 comments Mod
The Magus was the first book John Fowles started writing but not the first he published. It is the story of Nicholas Urfe, a middle-class Englishman, single, self absorbed playboy set in post war period. Nicholas decides to go to Greece to take a teaching position in an all boys school where he becomes in an ordeal that is a nightmare and where the nature of reality is
questioned. There are many questions raised and reader be warned, left unanswered. The themes touch on freedom, power, knowledge and love. The novel is filled with tension that keeps you reading. A good knowledge of Greek mythology and Shakespeare’s Tempest and Othello and Jungian psychology will go a long way to adding to the enjoyment of this book.

Diane | 1918 comments Rating: 4 Stars

I read The Collector by this author earlier in the month and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd go ahead and tackle this one. In the book, a young teacher without a clear purpose in life takes a job in a small island in Greece. The guy is a bit of a womanizer and not necessarily strong in character. Before he leaves, he has a short relationship with an Australian woman who he leaves behind in the UK. Basically, this is a guy who isn't satisfied with life or love and thinks there is always something better out there. He just doesn't know what. He meets some mysterious people while in Greece and becomes involved in a strange series of events.

Overall, a suspenseful book with some interesting plots twists and nods to classic Greek mythology. I totally didn't see the direction where it ultimately headed.