EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS > Historical Biographies & Autobiographies

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hector (new)

Hector North Hi All - Keen to get a feel from the community what are the best biographies / autobiographies that you guys have read and recommend for reading? To kick off i've read Steve Jobs (Isaacson) and Napoleon Bonaparte (Andrew Roberts) and i have to read Churchill (Gilbert).

message 2: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Anything by Ron Chernow. He researches to the point that the biographies read like fiction. I would especially recommend Grant or Washington by Ron Chernow.

message 3: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 701 comments This is a late reply, but Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng is an amazing account of her life during the Chinese Cultural Revolution.

I also enjoyed X by Ilyasah Shabazz about Malcolm X. I felt it was more approachable, but less informative than Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention, which was also very good.

A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II and
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption are accounts of amazing men, but I don't like the style in which they are told. I really hated Laura Hillenbrand's style, but the story is SO GOOD.