Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > please merge and correct author

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

blueisthenewpink | 12 comments These two authors are the same, and the name should read Gábor Vida:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Thank you,
Judit

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13580 comments Someone merged the profiles and kept the Vida Gábor one.

(I deleted the author photo, because photos of living authors are seldom public domain and I didn't see anything to suggest this one was.)

Is Gábor his last name or his first name? We prefer to have Firstname Lastname author profiles.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22810 comments That's a tricky one, the covers say Vida Gabor & Worldcat says Gabor Vida.

blueisthenewpink | 12 comments lethe wrote: "Someone merged the profiles and kept the Vida Gábor one.

(I deleted the author photo, because photos of living authors are seldom public domain and I didn't see anything to suggest this one was.)
..."

Gábor is his first name, thank you :)

I'll try to find out if there is a public domain photo of him available.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13580 comments Sandra wrote: "That's a tricky one, the covers say Vida Gabor & Worldcat says Gabor Vida."

Hungarians tend to use Lastname Firstname. This author does not seem to be translated (yet), but other Hungarian authors are generally added Firstname Lastname.

If it should remain Vida Gábor, at the very least the sort by name and shelf display name fields should (have) be(en) corrected to sort on Vida.

blueisthenewpink wrote: "Gábor is his first name, thank you :)

I'll try to find out if there is a public domain photo of him available."

Thanks, have changed to Gábor Vida.

Don't waste too much time trying to find a public domain photo of him. Having an author picture is nice, but not that important :)

blueisthenewpink | 12 comments Sandra wrote: "That's a tricky one, the covers say Vida Gabor & Worldcat says Gabor Vida."

Yes, last names go first in Hungarian :)

blueisthenewpink | 12 comments lethe wrote: "Sandra wrote: "That's a tricky one, the covers say Vida Gabor & Worldcat says Gabor Vida."

Hungarians tend to use Lastname Firstname. This author does not seem to be translated (yet), but other Hu..."

thank you! :)

blueisthenewpink | 12 comments lethe wrote: "Sandra wrote: "That's a tricky one, the covers say Vida Gabor & Worldcat says Gabor Vida."

Hungarians tend to use Lastname Firstname. This author does not seem to be translated (yet), but other Hu..."

Also, he was born in Kisjenő, not Christening (just seen this, sorry)
https://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vida_G%...

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13580 comments Corrected.

message 10: by blueisthenewpink (new)

blueisthenewpink | 12 comments lethe wrote: "Corrected."

thank you!

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22810 comments I didn't realise Hungarian names did that, just like the Chinese & sometimes Japanese names.