21st Century Ghosts - Joe Hill discussion

Full Throttle
This topic is about Full Throttle

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kandice | 114 comments Anyone else counting down to the release? It's always a bit of a bummer when you've read most of a collection already, but there's one completely new story, so I'm still excited.

message 2: by Chris , The Devil Inside (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 130 comments I'm looking forward to it.

Have you seen that they are putting out a movie for "in the Tall Grass" to coincide with this release, on Netflix?

message 3: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kandice | 114 comments Chris wrote: "I'm looking forward to it.

Have you seen that they are putting out a movie for "in the Tall Grass" to coincide with this release, on Netflix?"

Yes! The trailer is good and I love Wilson, so am glad they cast him.

message 4: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kandice | 114 comments Update on In the Tall Grass. I was unimpressed.

As far as the book goes, I'm a bit sad I've read all but a couple in other places already, but I have no problem rereading, especially when I really enjoyed something. It just makes me look forward to something new from him a bit more.

message 5: by Kandice, Felina is the best (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kandice | 114 comments Faun is pretty hurtful to the heart. Also the first "new" story in the book.

Wally Flangers | 2 comments Kandice wrote: "Update on In the Tall Grass. I was unimpressed.

As far as the book goes, I'm a bit sad I've read all but a couple in other places already, but I have no problem rereading, especially when I reall..."

Yeah most were prepublished, but I think a short story collection had to be released to buy him some time for the next novel..... These days, all his time is spent touring for the NOS4A2 series and comic book writing so there's little time to concentrate on a new novel. I think that's one of the reasons Strange Weather was published as well, which makes sense because Up the Chimney Down was announced during this period as the next novel and had to take a back seat..... I'm sure you know three out of four of the novellas in Strange Weather were not new either..... He wrote most of Snapshot in 2013 and wrote Aloft longhand in 2014...... I've asked him the status of Up the Chimney Down and he told me he hasn't touched it or had time to even think about it this year so not to expect it anytime soon. Unfortunately, it may end up being a novella for a future collection instead of being his next novel, but he did not come right out and say that. It was implied.... But Full Throttle will give him another year of breathing room and let him concentrate on his comics and film. Although Lock and Key taking off again will require touring in 2020, which means less time writing, I'm still optimistic about a novel release by the end of 2020 or early 2021.... Did you like Netflix's adaptation of In the Tall Grass?

message 7: by Kandice, Felina is the best (last edited Oct 13, 2019 09:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kandice | 114 comments Wally wrote: "Kandice wrote: "Update on In the Tall Grass. I was unimpressed.

As far as the book goes, I'm a bit sad I've read all but a couple in other places already, but I have no problem rereading, especia..."

I did not care for the Netflix adaptation, but like most of Hill's and his father's work, I feel that anything supernatural is always more believable as seen by my mind's eye, than on screen. That does not mean I don't eagerly await the adaptations with the rest of the world!

I was aware that each of the stories in Strange Weather had been released previously, but I think that's part of my disappointment here. That's two recycled releases in a row. I subscribe to Cemetary Dance so had seen them before the general public, I think.

I love Hill's work and will happily wait for more. His comics are sublime. All of them, but most especially Locke& Keye. He and Rodriguez are a dream team along the lines of Gaiman and McKean. Sadly, I don't think it will translate to screen any better than Grass, or even NOS4R2 did.

I will always be thrilled he is touring for promotion because even though I have seen him many times, I am always hoping to see him again. He's charming, and spazzy and just a treat. On the page and in the flesh!