Play Book Tag discussion

The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
This topic is about The Testaments
Archive: Other Books > The Testaments - Margaret Atwood 4/5

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole D. | 1470 comments The Handmaid's Tale has become such a huge part of pop culture (and women's nightmares.)  The book was fantastic, and the television show elevated it even further.  Atwood NAILED it.

We know it well, and as exciting as it was to know The Testaments was coming, the book just couldn't live up to the hype.  We're numb.   It was great that Atwood wanted to give a gift to her fans, but there really are no surprises left.    I know know if she was trying to be stealthy with the reveal, but I guessed the outcome in the first chapters.

To boil it down - Atwood deserves to be revered and lauded for The Handmaid's Tale.  The Testaments is more like fanfic.  I enjoyed it well enough, but it made no impact on me and I don't think it deserves a spot on the Booker list.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Great review. I have been waiting for some people to read and review it and it sounds like I will like it, but I don’t need to drop everything to read it right now.

Susie | 4488 comments I’m still grumpy about it.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6075 comments Nicole D. wrote: "The Handmaid's Tale has become such a huge part of pop culture (and women's nightmares.)  The book was fantastic, and the television show elevated it even further.  Atwood NAILED it.

We know it we..."

"and women's nightmares' -- exactly why I will not be reading Testament, regardless of reviews and reception. I still am haunted, even have nightmares, from reading The Handmaid's Tale all those many decades ago. I also do not see why it needed a sequel.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments Nicole D. wrote: "The Testaments is more like fanfic."

This is exactly what I was afraid of!! I will be reading regardless.

Tracy (tstan) | 1173 comments That’s it! I couldn’t put my finger on what bothered me about this book, and it IS fanfic-like. I liked the book, but it really isn’t a Booker book.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5537 comments Once again, a great review ... thoughtful, precise, clearly outlined. Not sure I'll be reading it (I'm sure at least one of my F2F book groups will pick it in a year or so).

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments I just reread Handmaid's Tale, and appreciated more than the last time I read it. So, I have The Testaments, and I have the DVDs from the TV show (I watched half of the first season and I'm enjoying the added details.) Which should I choose?

Nicole D. | 1470 comments TV show!

Anita Pomerantz | 6248 comments I am halfway through and honestly, loving it . . .I have not seen any of the tv show if that is meaningful.

However, I already agree with Nicole's assessment that this is more like fan fiction and less like a literary masterwork (as compared to the Handmaid's Tale at any rate).

But my enjoyment factor is very, very high. Booker prize no. Fun reading absolutely.

Anita Pomerantz | 6248 comments Tracy wrote: "That’s it! I couldn’t put my finger on what bothered me about this book, and it IS fanfic-like. I liked the book, but it really isn’t a Booker book."

Agree. But I think this stays on the bestseller list for a good long run . . .

Susie | 4488 comments I agree with the fan fic comparison, or to me it felt like reading a YA novel. I think what was so jarring for me was that the first of the pair was so nuanced and quite ambiguous, whereas this was hit-you-across-the-head obvious.