Play Book Tag discussion

Where the Crawdads Sing
This topic is about Where the Crawdads Sing
September 2019: Cultural > Where the Crawdads Sing – Delia Owens - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1082 comments Kya, is abandoned by her mother at age 7 and over the next 3 years each of her sisters and brothers is driven away by their drunk abusive father and at age 10 he leaves as well. She survives by learning life lessons from the marsh. She spends one day at school and then evades the truant officer. The town ostracizes her and ridicules her, so her friends are the marsh animals. A shrimper's son, also a nature enthusiast, offers to teach her to read and encourages her nature study. The town football hero is intrigued by her wildness and beauty. She reaches out to each to belong, but each fails her. When a murder occurs she is where the town looks. The book is written with beautiful images of the marsh and her emotional connection to it. The story jumps between the murder investigation and the trial and her life from age 6 to the present. Highly recommended.

message 2: by annapi (last edited Sep 16, 2019 08:53PM) (new)

annapi | 4975 comments Hmm... sounds interesting!

... and I just checked, and it's already on my TBR!

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments I really enjoyed this book, and I actually learned some interesting things about evolutionary biology. The audio narration is excellent for those who like audio books. I think this might make my top 10 this year.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8521 comments Funny that I just posted this same book yesterday! Love that we were reading at the same time. Nice review.