Play Book Tag discussion

84, Charing Cross Road
This topic is about 84, Charing Cross Road
September 2019: Cultural > 84, Charing Cross Road - Helene Hanff - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 802 comments Like many people I enjoy books that are about other books. In 84, Charing Cross Road a writer from New York City, Helene Hanff, contacts a British bookstore to see if they can locate some hard to find books. She receives the books and a letter back. Over time Helene and people at the bookstore become friends and Helene uses them as her primary source for buying books. The letters back and forth start in 1949 and go on for twenty years. These actual letters comprise the book.

This story is a good example of the timeframe after World War II and the letters show changes as years go by. The correspondence starts more formal with just one person at the store responding. However, as they continue the letters become friendlier and many other workers at the bookshop write Helene. It is a fast read and very charming.

annapi | 4973 comments Yay, another fan! I loved this book.

KateNZ | 2323 comments I loved this book too and I’d never have heard of it except for PBT raves!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5801 comments If you can track down the movie ... wonderful! Ann Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins.