Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > November Challenge - Clean up your TBRs – Mixed Bag of Genres

Comments Showing 1-50 of 389 (389 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 60329 comments Mod
This month is the perfect opportunity to clean up that TBR list which consistently grows before our very eyes. Read as many books as you can from your TBR list but with a little difference. Most of us like a bit of variety in our reading material – very much like our random Spring weather – so let's have a Mixed Bag of Genres.

For example, if you decide to read three (3) for the month from your TBR, make sure they are three (3) different genres:)

List the books you are planning to read from your TBR list plus their genre here in the thread and have fun :)

photo novemberchallenge2_zpse1381429.jpg

because...

photo novemberchallenge_zpsf5c0c8a4.jpg

So come on, don't be shy - join us in the mixed bag

photo novemberchallenge3_zpsc4126b3e.jpg

and lower that mountainous TBR list while you're at it!

message 2: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Phrynne | 7524 comments Mod
Thank you thank you thank you. Can't wait to attack both my kindle TBRs and that incriminating bookshelf in the family room where I stack all my book purchases.

message 3: by Zoey (last edited Oct 19, 2014 08:50PM) (new)

Zoey  (RozanneN) | 924 comments I hope to get the following 3 read

Historical Fiction - Atonement Atonement by Ian McEwanIan McEwan

Mystery - Prime Cut Prime Cut by Alan CarterAlan Carter

Paranormal Romance - The Merzetti Effect The Merzetti Effect by Norah WilsonNorah Wilson

message 4: by Renee V (new)

Renee V | 165 comments Action/Adventure - Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves
Fantasy - Clariel
Historical Fiction - Oscar and Lucinda
Science Fiction - Ancillary Justice
Travel - The Rings of Saturn
True Crime - In Cold Blood
Western - Lonesome Dove

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Wow already! Fabulous to see:)

message 6: by Lynxie (last edited Nov 12, 2014 01:20PM) (new)

Lynxie | 680 comments I'm in with:

Outback romance: Saving GraceSaving Grace by Fiona McCallum

Paranormal romance: Black BeastBlack Beast (Shadow Thane, #1) by Nenia Campbell

Mixed genre microfiction: Behind the WattlesBehind the Wattles by David Vernon

Contemporary romance: Puppy Love Puppy Love by Ana Vincent

I should get through at least two of these, hopefully all of them.

message 7: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 309 comments No idea what I will read yet - still have to get through my October reads! But I will be sure to come up with something and post them :)

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Excellent Melissa:) I fall in exactly the same boat as you!

message 9: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Me too. Have to wait and see what I manage to read before the end of this month.

message 10: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 680 comments Brenda wrote: "Excellent Melissa:) I fall in exactly the same boat as you!"

I am also the same, but I put them up here too - if I get through them in October, I'll replace them with something else :)

message 11: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Lynxie wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Excellent Melissa:) I fall in exactly the same boat as you!"

I am also the same, but I put them up here too - if I get through them in October, I'll replace them with something else :)"

You are just better organised than me:)

message 12: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie | 680 comments Phrynne wrote: "Lynxie wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Excellent Melissa:) I fall in exactly the same boat as you!"

I am also the same, but I put them up here too - if I get through them in October, I'll replace them with..."

I think it could be the larger TBR list ;)

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha!! You're probably both Lynxie!

message 14: by Mell (new)

Mell (mellrouvray) | 309 comments The only book I know for sure I will read will be A Beautiful Star by Lilliana Anderson since it will be released and I've been waiting for it! That will be my contemporary romance read for the month..

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 3557 comments Here is my mixed list :)

Fantasy: Forget Me Not by Stacey Nash Forget Me Not (Collective, #1) by Stacey Nash

Mystery: The Celtic Dagger by Jill Paterson The Celtic Dagger (Alistair Fitzjohn, #1) by Jill Paterson

Romance: Morgan's Law by Karly Lane Morgan's Law by Karly Lane

Historical: Ember Island by Kimberley Freeman Ember Island by Kimberley Freeman

message 16: by Mish (last edited Oct 19, 2014 11:29PM) (new)

Mish | 3492 comments Brilliant. It could not have come at a better time :)

I really want to clear my 2014 releases before the end of the year so this is a great opportunity.

The books I plan to read.

The Visitors by Rebecca Mascull - Historical

Luigi's Freedom Ride by Alan Murray - Adventure

How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran - Contemporary

The Promise by Tony Birch - Short Stories

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Excellent Sharon!!! You'll have to read Leonie Rogers's Frontier Incursion (first one) to see what we're all talking about too;) I'm sure you'll enjoy Forget Me Not as well!

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sounds good Mish!! Everyone has great choices so far:)

message 19: by Liam (new)

Liam (Madbird) I'll just try to get through some TBR books and stick them in here as I do them :P Don't really have any in particular I'm itching to get to.

message 20: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinmoiraohara) | 9 comments The Predator by Chris Taylor - Romantic Suspense
Storm of Fire by S.E Gilchrist - Sci Fi/Futuristic
The French Prize by Catherine Hein - Mystery

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Erin Moira wrote: "The Predator by Chris Taylor - Romantic Suspense
Storm of Fire by S.E Gilchrist - Sci Fi/Futuristic
The French Prize by Catherine Hein - Mystery"

The Predator by Chris Taylor
Storm Of Fire by S.E. Gilchrist
The French Prize by Cathryn Hein

Great choices Erin! I can't wait to read The French Prize myself - I love Cathryn's work!

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 3557 comments Brenda wrote: "Excellent Sharon!!! You'll have to read Leonie Rogers's Frontier Incursion (first one) to see what we're all talking about too;) I'm sure you'll enjoy [book:Forget ..."

I did consider that one, Brenda. Perhaps next time if there is a next time that is ;)

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm sure there will be down the track:)

message 24: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Oct 20, 2014 07:43PM) (new)

I'll see how I go with these...changes as necessary!

Mr Wigg by Inga Simpson Mr Wigg by Inga Simpson Contemporary Fiction
The Survivors Club by Lisa Gardner The Survivors Club by Lisa Gardner Thriller
From Baghdad, With Love A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava (Lava #1) by Jay Kopelman From Baghdad, With Love: A Marine, the War, and a Dog Named Lava by Jay Kopelman Non Fiction
Eden, Noon (The Chronicles of Paradise, #2) by Archer Swift Eden, Noon by Archer Swift SciFi
From the Outback by Ann B. Harrison From the Outback by Ann B. Harrison Rural Romance

message 25: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1994 comments Like most here I have a large and varied TBR so will need to have a bit of a think and like Phrynne and Melissa, will need to see where I'm at by the end of October. Great challenge though. Very flexible and not limited. :)

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Elaine wrote: "Like most here I have a large and varied TBR so will need to have a bit of a think and like Phrynne and Melissa, will need to see where I'm at by the end of October. Great challenge though. Very fl..."

At this time of year it seems to be a challenge everyone needs Elaine!!

message 27: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1994 comments Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Like most here I have a large and varied TBR so will need to have a bit of a think and like Phrynne and Melissa, will need to see where I'm at by the end of October. Great challenge ..."

Yes absolutely agree Brenda. Very timely.

message 28: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 1137 comments I am just really hoping to complete my GR reading challenge, mainly. Right now, I am two books ahead of schedule.

message 29: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 1137 comments So... What do people think of my mixed bag?

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kiera wrote: "So... What do people think of my mixed bag?"

It looks good Kiera:) There are some great choices here already!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenm2111) | 1 comments Wow.....need to figure out what I wanna read!!

message 32: by Sally906, the traveller (new)

Sally906 | 6385 comments Mod
I will be reading - - - something - LOL!

Not committing to anyone thing - well maybe Man Drought by Rachael Johns as it has been on my TBR pile for a wee while. It is a romance. Other than that I have an eclectic collection of genre on my shelves both in goodreads as well as in my physical shelf in the back bedroom and lurking in my eReaders.

message 33: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2657 comments As I'm still working through my AWWC and my Aussie Author Challenge, I don't think I'll commit, however some of the books I'm planning to read are on my TBR, so I may be participating in a roundabout fashion anyway :)

message 34: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 20, 2014 03:40PM) (new)

Kathryn | 3169 comments I'm also not entirely sure what I'll be reading in November - my October reading has been a little slower than I anticipated so far.

But I hope to get around to:
Hello From the Gillespies by Monica McInerney - contemporary fiction
The Shadow Year by Hannah Richell - mystery
Mr Chen's Emporium by Deborah O'Brien - historical fiction
and Suspect by Michael Robotham - thriller

message 35: by Ace (last edited Oct 20, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments This is easy as 2 new books coming out this month that I can't wait to read:
The Empty Throne - Historical Fiction
The Escape - Thriller

Also Luka and the Fire of Life - Fantasy

Have I doubled up on Genres? (Thanks Brenda)

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ace wrote: "This is easy as 2 new books coming out this month that I can't wait to read:
The Empty Throne
The Escape

Also Luka and the Fire of Life and if I ha..."

Historical Fiction
Thriller
Fantasy
Historical Fiction

Only the last one Ace:) You can edit your post and put the genres beside your book choices if you like:)

message 37: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments Brenda wrote: "Ace wrote: "This is easy as 2 new books coming out this month that I can't wait to read:
The Empty Throne
The Escape

Also Luka and the Fire of Life..."

I'll try to read The Signature of All Things before the end of this month LOL. I might have to pull a few sickies!

message 38: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Ace wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Ace wrote: "This is easy as 2 new books coming out this month that I can't wait to read:
The Empty Throne
The Escape

I might have to pull a few sickies! ..."

Haha!! Go for it;)

message 39: by Carolyn (last edited Oct 20, 2014 08:11PM) (new)

Carolyn | 5650 comments Will definitely join in once I see what I've manged to read by the end of this month. There are too many books I want to read so will have to prioritise somehow!

(Oooh! Sickies! Now there's a thought!)

message 40: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I've already deleted one out of my list!! Started it this morning:)

message 41: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments Carolyn wrote: "Will definitely join in once I see what I've manged to read by the end of this month. There are too many books I want to read so will have to prioritise somehow!

(Oooh! Sickies! Now there's a thou..."

Just joking, of course!!! Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2941 comments I'll add mine after having a look through my shelf.. Sometimes I get struck on knowing what genre a book really is!

message 43: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Suzanne wrote: "I'll add mine after having a look through my shelf.. Sometimes I get struck on knowing what genre a book really is!"

Have a look on the right hand side of each book's page Suzanne - the shelves that people list them on are there, and they're pretty close to the mark usually:)

message 44: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 2941 comments Thanks Brenda ;) I knew there'd be something here and you've jogged my memory. Really missing my laptop that's not working, and using my iPhone isn't quite the same!

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Yeaaah I will have to think about this..I got lots :D

message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "Yeaaah I will have to think about this..I got lots :D"

I think we all do! LOL

Should be a good reading month:)

message 47: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5894 comments MY TBR is sitting there all ready for me to attack, but I can't make a list until October is done: who knows how much more I'll get read by then? And the order of things might be upset when my various reserves come in at the library, so I'll just be listing what I've managed to read at the end of November....

message 48: by Kiera (new)

Kiera | 1137 comments Marianne wrote: "MY TBR is sitting there all ready for me to attack, but I can't make a list until October is done: who knows how much more I'll get read by then? And the order of things might be upset when my vari..."

Lol, sometimes when I get new books, there's just that odd one that I drop everything else in order to read. :) And perhaps I am being a bit overzealous with my list. I mean, I should be reading right now, but instead I am sitting on my computer looking at real estate. :P

message 49: by Sandie (new)

Sandie James (sandiejames) | 16 comments Notorious - Nicola Cornick - Historical
Burnibg Lies - Helene Young - Romantic Suspense
Promises - Cathryn Hein - Contemporary Romance
Already Dead - Jaye Ford - Suspense
Dance with Jane Austen - Susannah Fullerton - Non-fiction

Thanks Brenda

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelSwensson) | 10530 comments Sandie wrote: "Notorious - Nicola Cornick - Historical
Burnibg Lies - Helene Young - Romantic Suspense
Promises - Cathryn Hein - Contemporary Romance
Already Dead - Jaye Ford - Suspense
Dance with Jane Austen - S..."

Notorious by Nicola Cornick
Burning Lies by Helene Young
Promises by Cathryn Hein
Already Dead by Jaye Ford
A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball by Susannah Fullerton

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8