Vegan Book Club discussion

How Do *You* Vegan? > Do/did you watch vegan documentaries?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 574 comments Mod
So many people go vegan after seeing documentaries. Cowspiracy, Forks Over Knives, What the Heath, Dominion, and many more.

Have you seen any of them? What's your favorite? Do you think they're essential viewing for vegans?

message 2: by Tessa (new)

I was thinking about this the other day: everyone on social media was talking about the Game Changers movie that was in theaters for one-night only.

I've actually never seen a vegan documentary!

I went vegan without having to see one, I guess. I think they're probably a great way to get someone to go vegan, however. I made the switch based on things I read (and a few photos), but for others, a more visual approach might be necessary.

I'm glad all of these documentaries exist though! I just don't know if I could stomach the ones specifically about animal cruelty, and I'm not exactly a health food vegan, so I don't know if the health-focused ones would really impact me lol.

message 3: by Henrieta (new)

Henrieta | 1 comments Yes for me! Those documentaries did turn me vegan. Not so much because of the health reason as I do eat quite a lot of junk still :) but more from environment and animal welfare perspectives! I love being vegan! ❤️

message 4: by Tessa (new)

Henrieta wrote: "Yes for me! Those documentaries did turn me vegan. Not so much because of the health reason as I do eat quite a lot of junk still :) but more from environment and animal welfare perspectives! I lov..."

That's so great! What documentaries inspired you?

message 5: by Ayoola (new)

Ayoola | 48 comments I never saw a vegan documentary either. I saw Food, Inc. years ago, but that doc was not at all recommending veganism, even though it showed conditions for animals on factory farms. I would like to see this newer documentary Invisible Vegan, which is about veganism in the Black community. I think it is available in parts on YouTube.

message 6: by Tabbie (new)

Tabbie Elliott What the Health Documentary changed my perspective completely on nutrition. One of my favorites! I’m a nurse so it was super eye opening to me. I’ve even shared it with others and another nurse I work with just went vegan (whole foods plant based.) She’s lost 14 pounds in a little over a month and says she feels the best she has ever felt. I see so many patients with cancer, heart disease, kidney failure, etc and a plant based diet is proven to reverse these diseases.

I’ve also gotten my mom and her boyfriend to recently start doing 4 plant-based days a week. And my husband now does vegan with me at home. He might have meat once a month (when eating out) but it is a huge improvement from what he was doing prior. (We were cooking meals separately so I love being able to cook together now. The health aspect motivated him to switch.)

Some people want to save the animals which is amazing. But I think it truly is the best diet period for health and environmental reasons. I love finding which area motivates people and using that to inspire them to switch!