Play Book Tag discussion

Where the Crawdads Sing
This topic is about Where the Crawdads Sing
September 2019: Cultural > Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens, 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8282 comments This book is most certainly cultural and about a clash of cultures. Otherwise titled The Marsh Girl.

Folks who know me, know that I resist books that are highly and widely acclaimed, and/or I try to read them first. So I don’t raise my expectations too high, and so I don’t therefore come in under the rave. I was worried about this one, so oft recommended. Every review I read, made me fear I would just hate it. Despite the glowing reviews. One reason I had that “stay away” feeling, was because I knew from the multitude of reviews, even when trying not to read them, that there was a courtroom scene, and one with a deep and grave miscarriage of justice. I have to tell you guys – this must have happened to me in a past life. I have such a visceral experience of being unable to manage this particular situation. It runs deep. It used to happen every four months or so on the soaps I would watch as a kid, and there were countless books and movies and tv shows similarly themed. Where the innocent is railroaded or framed for something he or she didn’t do. Those courtroom scenes nearly destroy me. So I don’t pick these up by choice.

The other theme and connection I wasn’t thrilled about, was its tie to Educated. The other widely acclaimed book, that people couldn’t put down. And that I refused to read. And of course I end up reading them both, and at exactly the same time. Here is another book where a child needs to grow in an abusive or absent environment, subject to only what is told, different from others, and cut off from resources, without even a birthday, or any documents to prove one’s existence in the world. Now I’m only 25% through Educated and it is also beautifully done, and well written and descriptive, but similarly, a child is tested and has to go beyond herself to grow and be a part of the world. Both books are vibrant, moving, and resilient.

But the book itself was tender and beautiful, and I cried in many places. There was absolutely something about its descriptions, its dynamics, its dialogue, and its heart that wrapped me up. I actually really enjoyed listening to it. I’ve never been an audio girl, but along with Daisy Jones and the Six, I must say I loved this experience. I truly did.

There were lots of beautiful things about the book. But the places I cried the most, absolutely had to be the powerful and profound relationship held between Kya and Jumpin. That was an extraordinary connection.

I truly loved the book, despite its wide and far reaching acclaim and popularity. There was something about it. A quiet beauty that matched the rolling tides and hum of the writing. It is truly one that stays with you, and that you don’t forget easily.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 17, 2019 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4979 comments I'm glad you loved it too Amy! On audio even! I loved the narration. I often felt like I was right there.

I also loved the relationship between Kya and Jumpin. He really saved her life without making her feel like she was taking charity. He bought the fish no one would eat and his wife gave her the clothes. I loved also when (view spoiler)

I also tend to delay reading big bestsellers. Becoming and Circe popped up on my screen every day but I still waited (a little longer). When a book (like Educated and Crawdads) reaches 300000+ ratings and the average rating is still very high, it becomes clear that there is something special about the book.

Added - By the same reasoning, I suppose it's time I read Born a Crime. There must be something special about it, because there can't be that many people reading it just because he's on late night TV.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8282 comments We should as a Sunday Conversation or Monday Musing have a list of books that were incredibly highly rated, but worth it.

All the Light We Cannot See
The Hearts Invisible Furies
The Weight of Ink
Beartown

Those are a few that come to mind. I know there are far more.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7232 comments Amy wrote: "We should as a Sunday Conversation or Monday Musing have a list of books that were incredibly highly rated, but worth it.

All the Light We Cannot See
The Hearts Invisible Furies
The Weight of Ink
..."

We Were The Lucky Ones