CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2019 Weekly Threads > Week 38 - What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 732 comments Mod
Short post this week- what are you all reading? Are you enjoying it? Or just pushing through? I finished How to Behave Badly in Elizabethan England at the end of last week and really enjoyed it. Plenty of interesting tidbits (did you know that "thee" and "thou" were more informal than "you"?) and it was obvious the author knows her stuff. To the point where she mentions that she has tried certain behaviors, like not showering and instead using linens to keep clean. Not sure I could ever do that. But it was fascinating to read about.

Over the weekend, I started Gods of Jade and Shadow. I greatly enjoy books based on mythologies but I do tend to focus on Greek/Roman and Norse mythologies. One of the big draws of this one is that it is based around Mayan and Mexican mythologies. So far, the book is really good. She has an interesting writing style but I'm enjoying the plot and I like the characters.

Tell us what you are reading!

How to Behave Badly in Elizabethan England A Guide for Knaves, Fools, Harlots, Cuckolds, Drunkards, Liars, Thieves, and Braggarts by Ruth Goodman Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

message 2: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 46 comments I'm reading Tayari Jones' Leaving Atlanta, her first novel, and I knew nothing about it when I picked it up but the plot is great thus far and the narrative voices of the children protagonists are drawing me in. She is speaking at ODU on October 10th, FYI.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thorlton | 24 comments I just finished The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I loved it, but it was hard to read due to the struggles of the characters. It surprisingly hadn’t been spoiled for me. The writing style was interesting and yet worked well to carry the themes through the book.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Zoo by James Patterson. I actually enjoyed it and finished it in two days!

message 5: by Arlice (new)

Arlice M | 95 comments I just finished The Whisper Man by Alex North. I am currently reading The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

. The Whisper Man by Alex North The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

message 6: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 732 comments Mod
Arlice wrote: "I just finished The Whisper Man by Alex North. I am currently reading The Escape Room by Megan Goldin

What did you think about The Whisper Man? I've heard good things about it.

message 7: by Arlice (new)

Arlice M | 95 comments I read the book in two days. Hated to put it done.
It was really good!!!!