SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R19: Team #9 ~ Serious Series Seekers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 207 (207 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Sep 17, 2019 02:15PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Team #9
Captain: Marisa

Members:
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Lisa P
Marisa

message 2: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Just a Hop, Skip & Click Away
Happy Reading!

Shelf Announcements ~ Check for the latest shelf announcement & review the requirements for each shelf
Captain's Log ~ Share team shelf stats prior to requesting a stamp
Stamp Me! ~ Request a stamp for your bingo card
Discussions ~ Throughout the game, head here to chat with other players & shelf chant til your heart's content
Bingo Rules ~ Rules of the game
Free Space Rules ~ Where to look when pickin' your free space book
Bingo FAQ ~ Don't hesitate! If you have a question, let us know.

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Hiya, Team Caps! Thanks for volunteering to guide your team through a round of BookShelf Bingo!

Your job, should you choose to accept it, will require a few things:
1 ~ Be our go-to person should we have any questions about your team
2 ~ Organize your teammate's weekly reads for each shelf/category so that the BSB Ninjas can quickly and easily verify and approve your stamp request(s)
2a ~ Create a master list in a post (preferably on the first page of your team's thread) and update it weekly or as often as necessary
2b ~ Post your team's stats on the Captain's Log prior to requesting a stamp
3 ~ Encourage and motivate your team (you may also ask to borrow Judithe's whip whenever necessary)
4 ~ Post regularly to ensure your team is communicating and on track each week
4a ~ Send them a PM and friendly poke if they haven't posted at least once a week, noted their book choice, and/or appear to have dropped out of webspace
5 ~ Send us a PM (Steph, Sandra or Judithe) should you need us for any reason throughout the game

message 4: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Dec 04, 2019 05:34PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 5: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments ...

message 6: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Hello, I think we haven´t been introduced ;) My name is Marisa, I live (and was born) in Madrid, Spain, and I'm engineer.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Hello!
I live in Boise, ID in the Mountain time zone.
I've played in every round of Bingo!
I was team captain last round and would prefer to not do it again.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments For team names:
We Three Book Chicks
Chicks Who Dig Books
Cool Girls Read

message 9: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Hi ladies! I live in North Carolina. I have played in quite a few rounds of BSB and always have a great time. I am going to be out of town for two weeks in November...still able to read, but would not really be able to do captain stuff. Hopefully Marisa would like to be Captain.

message 10: by Lisa P (last edited Sep 16, 2019 06:27PM) (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments For team names:
On Cloud Nine
Triple Threat
Maybe something with our initials...
Much Love and Respect
Maximum Luck Required
...still thinking
Paranormal Page Turners
Serious Series Seekers

message 11: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments I have no problem with being captain, so I'll begin the tracking posts now. And for names, I like Serious Series Seekers or Chicks Who Dig Books. I don't propose name, if you don't mind, because I'm very bad at it.

message 12: by Marisa (last edited Dec 04, 2019 09:16PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Tracking Post

Shelf 11: Military (Week Summary)

Lisa P:
Marisa: Mission: Her Freedom by Anna Hackett (04/12/2019 - 📚📚📚📚) Review
Rachel: Under Fire by Catherine Mann (01/12/2019 - 📚📚📚) Review

Shelf 12: Spin-Off (Week Summary)
Lisa P:
Marisa:
Rachel:

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Reserved for future use

message 14: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Thank you Marisa for being our Captain! I'm not good with names either. Either of those work for me as well. I've been looking at books already and think I have decided on my free space choice...can't wait to get started! Part of the fun playing for me is trying to decide what books to read.

message 15: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Lisa P wrote: "Thank you Marisa for being our Captain! I'm not good with names either. Either of those work for me as well. I've been looking at books already and think I have decided on my free space choice...ca..."

I totally understand. That's part of the fun for me. I think I've decided my free ebook .... but one of my characteristics is, that if I announce I've chosen a book, it's very probably I change it. Being the captain, I can avoid the wrath if I do that ;)

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments I like Serious Series Seekers.
Thanks to Marisa for being captain!

message 17: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments So Team 9 will be Serious Series Seekers ;) I'll go to claim it.

message 18: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Try to say that 3 times fast...ha ha!

message 19: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments I live in NC and my Dad is in California. He had a stroke yesterday and I will be flying out to California in the morning to see how he is. They caught it early and he seems to be doing pretty well. I just wanted to let you ladies know that if you don't hear from me for several days, don't be alarmed. I will still be reading.

My free space book is going to be Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade #3) by Christopher Farnsworth it can be found on the SOS Urban Fantasy Series Best Of List

message 20: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Very sorry to hear that Lisa, hope he is improving by the time you get there!

message 21: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Sorry, Lisa! I hope he gets well soon.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Wishing your dad a speedy recovery!

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments First shelf: Angels

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Free Space:
Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) by Kristen Callihan SOS Bookshelf
Angels:
World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2) by Susan Ee

message 25: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Shelf #1 ~ 18/9/2019: Angels
DIRECT LINK - Shelf

message 26: by Marisa (last edited Sep 26, 2019 12:24AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Tracking post

Week 1: Angels

Lisa P: Vampire's Kiss by Ella Summers (25/09/2019 - 📚📚📚📚) Review
Marisa: The Fire Within by Dana Marie Bell (23/09/2019 - 📚📚📚📚) Review
Rachel: World After by Susan Ee (24/09/2019 - 📚📚) Review

Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1) by Ella Summers The Fire Within (The Nephilim, #2) by Dana Marie Bell World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2) by Susan Ee

Summary Post

message 27: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Selection Post
Week 1: Angels

Book: The Fire Within by Dana Marie Bell
Pages: 220
How it fits: Shelved 8 times as Angels
The Fire Within (The Nephilim, #2) by Dana Marie Bell

message 28: by Marisa (new)

Free Space

Book: Shards of Frost by Suzanne Wright
Pages: 465
Option: 3 (A book of the group's bookshelf)

Shards of Frost (The Mercury Pack, #5) by Suzanne Wright

message 29: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Thanks for all the well wishes. I am back home now. Dad was really lucky that they caught the stroke right away. I believe he should make a full recovery.

message 30: by Lisa P (last edited Sep 22, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Completion Post
Red, White, and Blood (Nathaniel Cade #3) by Christopher Farnsworth by Christopher Farnsworth

Shelf: Free Space
Date Read: 9/21/19
Rating: 3 stars
Review: This is the third book in the series and not my favorite. I think I just couldn't get past the fact that the main creature they were up against throughout the story was called the Boogeyman. (So many better name choices out there...just saying). I still really enjoy the main premise of this series which is that Cade is the President's Vampire. He and his handler Zack make a great team and the action in this book did not disappoint. Even though this was not my favorite, I will still continue with the series if another book is forthcoming. There are so many more adventures that these two could have together. It ended with a little unfinished business, so hope it goes on.

message 31: by Lisa P (last edited Sep 22, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Selection Post
Week 1 Angels

Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1) by Ella Summers by Ella Summers
Pages: 242
99 people tagged as angels

message 32: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Lisa P wrote: "Thanks for all the well wishes. I am back home now. Dad was really lucky that they caught the stroke right away. I believe he should make a full recovery."

Glad to hear that Lisa!

message 33: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Linda, I'm very glad about your Dad!

message 34: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Completion Post
Shelf 1: Angels
Book: The Fire Within by Dana Marie Bell
Pages: 220
How it fits: Shelved x times as Angels
Read: 23/09/2019
Rating: ★★★★

The Fire Within (The Nephilim, #2) by Dana Marie Bell

Review

It has been a long time since I read a book by Dana Marie Bell and I don't really know why because I like her books. This one falls into the path that I like: no angst, no misunderstandings, no back and forth. It's a nice mystery novel with paranormal elements but, mainly, a love story between two strong persons, which don't allow their past decide their future. Some new couples in the future (although I don't know if she has continued with the series, I have to check). So, thank you to the Bingo for returning me to this author.

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Angles
World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2) by Susan Ee
2* Finished 9/24
I read the first book around 5 years ago and loved it. Having read this, I know why it took me 5 years to pick up the sequel. This had a lot to live up to and I was disappointed.
I thought the start was slow and it took me a long time to get into this. It did pick up about 2/3 of the way through, but too late for me. The plot is similar to the first (Penryn has to find Paige/things happen) but minus Raffe (for a good chunk).

message 36: by Marisa (last edited Sep 24, 2019 01:23PM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Completion Post
Free Space
Book: Shards of Frost by Suzanne Wright
Pages: 465
Option: 1 (A SOS Book of the Month)
Read: 24/09/2019
Rating: ★★★☆

Shards of Frost (The Mercury Pack, #5) by Suzanne Wright

Review

The beginning of the book is the definition of instant-lust. I get the concept of mate but, seriously? In any case, the rest of the book is entertaining, with two characters with a dark past that are not going to allow that it defines their future.

I didn't really remember so much sex in other books by this author, but it's a veeeery important part here, really.

Anyway, a nice love story with some twists (and a new curious shifter: minks attacking and hissing Another one bites the dust....) Ah! And soccer, (our fútbol).

A good knot for a series that finishes (and I'm going to miss it).

message 37: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Well, not used to read the books I've chosen (two!) 😉 Any special preference for tomorrow call (BTW, I'll announce it and write the tracking post on Thursday morning, as Sandra announces it while I'm sleeping...)

message 38: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Completion Post
Vampire's Kiss (Legion of Angels #1) by Ella Summers by Ella Summers

Shelf: Angels
Date Read: 9/25/19
Rating: 4 stars
Review: When I first started reading this I was sure that I wasn't going to like it. So much going on with gods, demons, angels, monsters, vampires, witches, shifters, fairies, etc. However, once the main character Leda decided to join the Legion of Angels and train as an elite supernatural soldier to aid her in finding her missing brother, the book took a different turn and I couldn't put it down until I was finished. I'm still a little confused about how all the different entities fit together, but it really didn't seem to matter once I got into the story. I love Leda's independent nature and strong determination to accomplish whatever it is she wants, and her relationship with Nero is quite steamy. The book definitely ends on a giant cliffhanger, so do not read it if you do not want to continue the series. I definitely will continue!

message 39: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P | 515 comments Selection Post
Week 2 - Vampires

Witch's Cauldron (Legion Of Angels #2) by Ella Summers by Ella Summers

Pages: 248
43 people shelved as vampires

message 40: by Rachel- Goodbye Borders (last edited Sep 25, 2019 04:17PM) (new)

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Vampires:
How to Save an Undead Life (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #1) by Hailey Edwards
Shelved 66 x.

message 41: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Shelf #2 ~ 25/9/2019: Vampires
DIRECT LINK - Shelf + SOS Bookshelf

message 42: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Tracking Post

message 43: by Marisa (last edited Oct 05, 2019 03:29AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Week 2: Vampires

Lisa P: Witch's Cauldron by Ella Summers (248 pag.) (30/09/2019 - 📚📚📚📚) Review
Marisa: Taste of Torment by Suzanne Wright (280 pag.) (29/09/2019 - 📚📚📚📚) Review
Rachel: How to Save an Undead Life by Hailey Edwards (0 pag.) (04/10/2019 - 📚📚📚) Review

Witch's Cauldron (Legion Of Angels #2) by Ella Summers Taste of Torment (Deep In Your Veins, #3) by Suzanne Wright How to Save an Undead Life (Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #1) by Hailey Edwards

Summary Post

message 44: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1011 comments In Captain's Log, you posted as team 2. Are you trying to steal my team now, Marisa? ;)

message 45: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Sam wrote: "In Captain's Log, you posted as team 2. Are you trying to steal my team now, Marisa? ;)"

Nooo 😭I have a serious problem writing numbers... I'm wrong more than right 😔 Going to right it.

message 46: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments CONGRATULATIONS, Serious Series Seekers!
You now have an updated BINGO card with a stamp on 'angels'. 

[Your updated BINGO card can be viewed on page 1]

Good Job!! :D

message 47: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Congrats on the stamp SSS!

message 48: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 824 comments Thank you, Steph, for the stamp! And thank you, Sandra.

message 49: by Marisa (last edited Sep 26, 2019 09:12PM) (new)

Shelf 2: Vampire

Book: Taste of Torment by Suzanne Wright
Pages: 280
How it fits: Shelved 209 times as Vampires
Taste of Torment (Deep In Your Veins, #3) by Suzanne Wright

Rachel- Goodbye Borders (rachelgoodbyeborders) | 1310 comments Free Space
Winterblaze (Darkest London, #3) by Kristen Callihan
2.5* Sept 28th

I really enjoyed the previous 2 books. Poppy and Winston were present in the first 2 books, having come across as a happily married (and a bit boring) couple. From previous books, I really didn't have much of an opinion of Poppy. Winston, I thought, was given more personality and had more to do; and I admit I liked him more.
Then, I read this one. After the events of the previous book, Winston knows about supes and about Poppy. He's also pissed that she never told him. So, rather then talking about it and hashing it out, he leaves. This opens with their separation with flashbacks to when they met/courting.
I really thought I got to know Poppy in this one. Yes, she's made mistakes, but she's owned them. I thought she was take charge and pretty kick ass in this one. I am a Poppy fan! Winston on the other hand, had a Secret of his own. I didn't like him much. He constantly threw Poppy's mistake in her face (even though she owned it and I understood why it was a secret). Poppy was quick to forgive Winston for his (and helped him solve it). Winston was just as ass about it. They do get their shit together (or I should say Winston gets his shit together) eventually.
Revelations in this one: All about family.
I did enjoy Mary and Jack's bits in this and look forward to their story.

« previous 1 3 4 5