SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Team Challenges > R19: Team #3 ~ The Three Amigos

Comments Showing 1-50 of 218 (218 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Sep 17, 2019 02:24PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Team #3
Captain: Ora

Members:
Ora
Angie ☯
Victoria

message 2: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Just a Hop, Skip & Click Away
Happy Reading!

Shelf Announcements ~ Check for the latest shelf announcement & review the requirements for each shelf
Captain's Log ~ Share team shelf stats prior to requesting a stamp
Stamp Me! ~ Request a stamp for your bingo card
Discussions ~ Throughout the game, head here to chat with other players & shelf chant til your heart's content
Bingo Rules ~ Rules of the game
Free Space Rules ~ Where to look when pickin' your free space book
Bingo FAQ ~ Don't hesitate! If you have a question, let us know.

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Hiya, Team Caps! Thanks for volunteering to guide your team through a round of BookShelf Bingo!

Your job, should you choose to accept it, will require a few things:
1 ~ Be our go-to person should we have any questions about your team
2 ~ Organize your teammate's weekly reads for each shelf/category so that the BSB Ninjas can quickly and easily verify and approve your stamp request(s)
2a ~ Create a master list in a post (preferably on the first page of your team's thread) and update it weekly or as often as necessary
2b ~ Post your team's stats on the Captain's Log prior to requesting a stamp
3 ~ Encourage and motivate your team (you may also ask to borrow Judithe's whip whenever necessary)
4 ~ Post regularly to ensure your team is communicating and on track each week
4a ~ Send them a PM and friendly poke if they haven't posted at least once a week, noted their book choice, and/or appear to have dropped out of webspace
5 ~ Send us a PM (Steph, Sandra or Judithe) should you need us for any reason throughout the game

message 4: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Dec 07, 2019 12:54PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Link to print your own copy: BINGO card

SOS book shelf bingo card

message 5: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments ...

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Hey Ora and Angie, hope you are both doing well :D
I'm soooo looking forward to another round of BSB!

First things first... well 2 things really:
1: who wants to be captain of our team?
2: what name should we give our team?

message 7: by Ora (last edited Dec 06, 2019 04:50AM) (new)

Ora (oeamis) *edit* for Tracking

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Shelf 11 ~ Military
Fallen (Deep Ops, #2) by Rebecca Zanetti Garrison's Creed (Titan, #2) by Cristin Harber The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1) by S.A. Chakraborty
Ora Fallen Rebecca Zanetti Dec 4 3.5 stars Review
Angie ☯ Garrison's Creed Cristin Harber
Victoria The City of Brass S.A. Chakraborty

Shelf 12 ~ Spin Off
Wicked Hour (Heirs of Chicagoland, #2) by Chloe Neill School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins American Witch by Thea Harrison
Ora Wicked Hour Chloe Neill
Angie ☯ School Spirits Rachel Hawkins
Victoria American Witch Thea Harrison

message 8: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis)

message 9: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments Hi Victoria and Ora!!!

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of being on a team with you before Victoria - happy to now, though!

Ora!! I can't believe that we are finally on the same bingo team! I shouted when I saw the list of names!!

I would appreciate it, if you don't mind to be captain, Ora. I actually debated joining because I was afraid I wouldn't have time to captain and I tend to always say yes if asked! :-)

I like the Three Amigos!

Looking forward to playing with you ladies! I don't think I've ever been in this bingo with only 3 players....it's usually 4 right?

message 10: by Victoria (last edited Sep 16, 2019 01:16PM) (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Helloow again :D

First time with either one of you yes, fun!!!
Last rounds were teams of 4 indeed (I had to check haha).

Three Amigos is great! :D
And thanks for captaining Ora :) I don't mind doing it, but since I live in Belgium I can only call the shelves in the morning (shelf call is around 3 am here, ugh)

Spent all day today going through the shelf lists, so I know what I'll be reading. I AM PREPARED! (and then I still pick another book) *sigh*

How do you want us to format our choices Ora?

message 11: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Selection Post
Shelf
Book
Author
Page Count
How it fits

Completion Post
Shelf
Book
Author
Date Read
Rating
Review

message 12: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I will let the mods know our name

message 13: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I notice on a couple of shelves that there are some alternative shelves. I will make sure to double check each week if there are alternative shelves and post them along week the weekly call.

Sorry if I am being a bit abrupt. I am currently watching the season finale of Ninja Warrior and a bit preoccupied with that.

message 14: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments I've added your name & I'll let Steph know you're the Capt Ora :)

message 15: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments You weren't abrupt, Ora! :-)

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Nope, not abrupt! Hope the episode was good!!! :D

message 17: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Sandra wrote: "I've added your name & I'll let Steph know you're the Capt Ora :)"

Thank you!!!

message 18: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Victoria wrote: "Nope, not abrupt! Hope the episode was good!!! :D"

It was! One of my favorite ninjas (Drew Dreshel) won the million dollar prize when he got the fastest time in stage 4.

message 19: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Selection Post

Shelf
Free Spot
Book Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12) by Nalini Singh
Author Nalini Singh
Page Count 400
How it fits SOS Bookshelf 2019 rls

message 20: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I almost forgot, if you a doing a reread, please say in selection post since we are only allowed 1 reread during bingo

message 21: by Victoria (last edited Sep 17, 2019 08:21AM) (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Selection Post

Shelf: Free Space
Book: Atlantis Rising
Author: Alyssa Day
Page Count: 280
How it fits: PNR list nr 20

message 22: by Angie ☯ (last edited Sep 18, 2019 05:04PM) (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments Selection Post ... Free Space

Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4) by Ilona Andrews
Book: Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews
Series: Hidden Legacy #4 | Media: Kindle
Option used & How it Fits: (1) An SOS Book of the Month ~ September 2019

message 23: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I really want to know what you think about Atlantis Rising Victoria. I love vampires and Atlantis.

I LOVED Sapphire Flames!!!! As with all of Ilona Andrews books, I love reading her books right away and get mad that she can't write as fast as I want her to.

message 24: by Victoria (last edited Sep 18, 2019 12:42PM) (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments I'm currently reading Sapphire Flames as a matter of fact... I LOVE IT! Her books are so damn good!
*edit* Just finished it.... soooooo worth it!!!! Hot damn! :D

For some reason, I thought the BSB started today (well.. my today), was so disappointed when I woke up this morning... ah well, tomorrow then!

Oh and Ora... havent gotten to that book yet, still need to read GH 7), hope you enjoy!!! :D

message 25: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I cannot wait until it comes out next week. I am rereading the series right now.

message 26: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Shelf #1 ~ 18/9/2019: Angels

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 27: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I need to figure out what to read without using my one reread. I may just use Archangel's War and find something else for the free spot

message 28: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Changing my free spot book

Selection Post
Shelf
Free spot
Book Dark Magic
Author Christine Feehan
Page Count 358
How it fits members best of PNR series list

Selection Post
Shelf #1
~ 18/9/2019: Angels
Book Archangel's War
Author Nalini Singh
Page Count 400
How it fits shelved 28 times

message 29: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments Selection Post ... Shelf #1 ... Angels

Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh
Book: Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
Series: Guild Hunter #3 | Media: Audible & Kindle
How it Fits: On first page of shelf / Tagged Angels 819x

message 30: by Victoria (last edited Sep 18, 2019 09:33PM) (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Selection Post

Shelf #1 ~ 18/9/2019: Angels
Book Absolute Surrender
Author Georgia Lyn Hunter
Page Count 448

message 31: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Completion Post

Shelf
Free Spot
Book Dark Magic
Author Christine Feehan
Date Read Sep 19
Rating 3 stars
Review

Pet Peeves
-The narrator changed and did not say Grigori’s name correctly. He used Gregory. I found it very irritating. I kept wanting the original narrator back.
-Between the first book and fourth one there is ~30 years difference.
-I wished Grigori’s book would have been later in the series so we could see the how the darkness affected him more and see his and Savannah’s relationship while she was growing up.

Now for the review.
I can really see the development of CF’s writing style and storytelling between her older books and her more current ones. I do enjoy her books and my sister told me that overall she loves the series, some books are better than others.
I really didn’t care for Savannah at first, but she grew on me. I felt she was acted like spoiled brat at first. At least that changed. Savannah is discovered by a vampire who decides he wants her for himself. Because of where she was at and who is responsible to protect San Francisco and hunt vampires, she and Grigori go to New Orleans to lure the vampires away. They soon discover that an older and more dangerous vampire is down there who wants to destroy Grigori.
The story itself I really enjoyed. I liked that Grigori has been “humanized” is the best word I can come up with. He starts felling emotions he has not felt in a long time. I loved that he only kills when necessary and he is able to show people who matter to him that he really cares. I was a bit bummed that the series jumped so far ahead in years. I would have given it at least ½ star, maybe a full star more if the narrator didn’t irritate me.

message 32: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments Completion Post ... Shelf #1 ... Angels

Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3) by Nalini Singh
Book: Archangel's Consort by Nalini Singh
Series: Guild Hunter #3 | Media: Audible & Kindle
How it Fits: On first page of shelf / Tagged Angels 819x
Read: 9/19/2019 | Pages: 377 | Rating: ★★★★☆
I don't know why I haven't started this series sooner. I am really loving this story and the characters. Raphael and Elena are not perfect; they are still learning their places with each other. Both are highly independent and aren't used to accepting help from anyone, still they are learning the give and take of their relationship to satisfy their own protective nature and not suffocating the other's independence. This back and forth is part of the reason I like the series - they don't immediately accept everything without question.

I want to learn more of the Seven. They are intriguing to me and their loyalty to Raphael and Elena because of Raphael is even more so because Raphael allows them to choose to support him. I'm not sure about Raphael's mother....I'll have to read more to see if my thoughts are on track.

I look forward to learning more of Raphael and Elena's story and the stories of the Seven and the other characters!

message 33: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I am so glad you like the series!!!! I hope you love Dmitri's story as much as I do. I am still impatiently waiting for Bluebell and Sparkle to get their story.

At least you don't have to wait for Archangel's War to be released. Archangel's Prophecy ended differently than the other books. Not knowing what exactly happened at the end and having to wait had me yelling and wanting to throw my kindle since I had to wait to find out. I am so excited my husband is going to be out of town next week. I will be able to reread Prophesy and then War the next day.

message 34: by Victoria (last edited Sep 20, 2019 01:31PM) (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Completion Post - Free Space

Shelf: Free Space
Book: Atlantis Rising
Author: Alyssa Day
Page Count: 280
Date Read: 20/09/2019
Rating: 2.5 stars
Review:

This is the first book I read by this author and while the plot was good, in my honest opinion, the book itself was not :(
The switch in POV was nice and pretty unique, but it got a bit too much, especially when you got to the steamy scenes. It just made it overly long and weird, and I must admit I skipped much of those scenes (can’t believe I’m saying this!).

I know as this is a first in the series, the author would want to paint a picture of their world, slowly introduce everyone, … But the character development was just about decent. There wasn't any depth to the characters. I would have thought Riley would have needed a longer time to adjust and come to terms with what was happening, but well, she leaped pretty much straight into the unknown :)
Conlan was also pretty blasé about what their relationship would mean to the Atlanteans and while you know what happened in his recent past, we don't really know anything about him (or anyone else for that matter).
I think of all the characters in this book, I like Alaric and Ven the most :D One is dark, broody and powerful as hell and the other is a killing machine with a fun and playful side.

Pacing and flow were good, though as earlier stated, the switching of POV was detrimental to the overall flow and feel of the story.

The book itself was well written with only a small error here and there, nothing that bothered me while reading. And yes, there is sex described in this book (if that is important to you).

All in all, I’m pretty sad it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped it would be, so I’m not sure if I’ll continue the series or not.

message 35: by Angie ☯ (last edited Sep 20, 2019 08:12PM) (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments Completion Post ... Free Space

Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4) by Ilona Andrews
Book: Sapphire Flames by Ilona Andrews
Series: Hidden Legacy #4 | Media: Kindle
Option used & How it Fits: (1) An SOS Book of the Month ~ September 2019
Read: 9/20/2019 | Pages: 400 | Rating: ★★★★☆
It's always a little scary when a series you really like changes direction and focuses on an entirely different character, especially when they become the main character. But, this was a fantastic switch and the story of Catalina (Nevada's younger sister) was as good as the original storyline! I will say that in this case, it would be to your benefit to read the novella, Diamond Fire, prior to reading, this book. It wraps up Nevada and Rogan's story and lays the ground work for this one.

This book takes place 3 years after the end of Diamond Fire. Catalina is now 21 and finds herself as the head of House Baylor. The three year safety net that was given to House Baylor to become established and to prove their worth has expired and Catalina must step up and figure out the challenge of surviving among the other houses.

**in case you haven't read the book - you may want to skip this part**
(view spoiler)

Great book, great series, great characters and great narrators on the audio books! (The only thing I don't really care for are the book covers. My favorite cover was Diamond Fire's!) Looking forward to the remaining books!!

message 36: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments Ora wrote: "I am so glad you like the series!!!! I hope you love Dmitri's story as much as I do. I am still impatiently waiting for Bluebell and Sparkle to get their story.

At least you don't have to wait for..."

Is Dimitri's story next?? Looking forward to that one! I want to binge read the whole series!!

message 37: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Angie ☯ wrote: "Is Dimitri's story next?? Looking forward to that one! I want to binge read the whole series!!."

I loved it! I'm not gonna spoil it but... wow :D
Well, tbh... the whole series is just kickass

message 38: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Angie ☯ wrote: "Ora wrote: "I am so glad you like the series!!!! I hope you love Dmitri's story as much as I do. I am still impatiently waiting for Bluebell and Sparkle to get their story.

At least you don't have..."

I have binge on the series a couple of times already. I had to hold off this time because I didn't want to finish the most current book to early.
I am so happy my husband is going out of town tomorrow so I can read Prophesy and and then War without him interrupting me and me either growling or grunting art him when he tries to talk to me.

message 39: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) You guys are awesome with getting your books read so fast. I haven't read the reviews yet. I am pressed for time and should have gotten off goodreads 20 minutes ago. I will read and update this evening or in the morning when I get back on.

message 40: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments No worries Ora, take your time :D Enjoy your Sunday!

message 41: by Angie ☯ (new)

Angie ☯ | 386 comments I agree with Victoria - there's no rush at least this early in the game!

message 42: by Victoria (last edited Sep 23, 2019 02:22AM) (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Completion Post - Angels

Shelf #1 ~ 18/9/2019: Angels
Book Absolute Surrender
Author Georgia Lyn Hunter
Page Count 448
Date Read: 22/09/2019
Rating: ★★★★☆
Review:

This was the first book I read by the author and I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised :)

Worldbuilding was good, it could very well take place in our current world for all that we know :) All scenes and environments were well described.
We know of a few of the possible realms, looking forward to exploring some other, new realms in later installments!

Character development was good. Just a quick note here, yes, there is insta attraction between Echo and Aethan, but both resist it (should this be important to you, as you might not like the 'insta-love' so often found in books). Echo goes through many discoveries about herself and she handles it pretty well. One thing that did bother me though is that she went out into danger time and time again, even when she knew she was in danger. I mean, couldn't she at least tell someone where the hell she went to? Or heaven forbid, take Aethan with her? Yeah... that bothered me...
Aethan (and the rest of the Guardians for that matter) was great :) He could do with listening before overreacting though, but then again, that's Aethan :D
Knowing a bit about the other guys really makes me wonder what kind of female they would get stuck with haha.

Pacing and flow were good. The book fell a bit into a slump just over halfway but quickly recovered. It did feel that the same story could have been written with 50-100 pages less :)

The book itself was well written with no (noticeable) errors. And yes, there is sex described (if that is important to you).

All in all a pleasant read, a good first book of the series and I do think I will read the next installment which will be about Blaéz (yay).

message 43: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Victoria, glad you enjoyed at least one of your books. It really sucks about Atlantis Rising. By any chance do you know if that is one of the author's first books? I wold hope if it is, that her writing style would improve with her other ones. I really enjoy Rebecca Zanetti books, however her first books were a bit overwhelming with world development and not so much one character development. At least that changed withe later books and she was able to find a good balance.

Angie, I am so glad you loved Sapphire Flames!!! I REALLY love Alessandro. I can't wait to find out what happens next.

message 44: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) I just requested our free spot stamp. I am planning on spending tomorrow reading Archangel's War and will have a review completed before the next shelf is called on Wednesday.

message 45: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments CONGRATULATIONS, Three Amigos!
You now have an updated BINGO card with a stamp on 'free space'. 

[Your updated BINGO card can be viewed on page 1]

Good Job!! :D

message 46: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Oh oh oh, enjoy the book Ora!! I just saw it came out today :D :D

message 47: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (nemerith) | 425 comments Ora wrote: "By any chance do you know if that is one of the author's first books?"

Hmm, I think it was yeah... good point you made actually! Might give the next a go, see if it's any better :) :)

message 48: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Completion Post

Shelf 1
~ Angels
Book Archangel's War
Author Nalini Singh
Date Read Sep 24
Rating 5 stars
Review
Angie, Victoria since you guys are still reading this series, I am not going to do say anything major that will ruin the book.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this series!!!! This book took me on an emotional rollercoaster. And it started right off that way. There was no leading up to it at all.
Strange things are happening with the Cascade. Prophesies are being changed, a lot of angelic pregnancies are happening, powers are being revealed, more ancients are waking up. This book explains really why the Cascade occurs, and that’s because of the Legend are remembering more and can explain it now without being cryptic. I am so happy that this is not the last book in the series, however with the way it ended, there wouldn’t have been any loose ends with the overall storyline of the Cascade. As with any war, it was very sad when characters die that you like.
With what happens with Michaela, I do like her more now and hope things work out for her.
Illium….I REALLY hope his is the next book. There really hasn’t been much about his past in the previous books. With what has happened to directly affect him and the Hummingbird in this one, I hope that means his book is next.
It really sucks not really saying anything about Raphael and Elena because of spoilers. Needless to say, I am glad that their relationship is still as strong and wonderful.

message 49: by Ora (new)

Ora (oeamis) Just submitted for our angel's stamp. We are all caught until shelf 2 is called tomorrow.

message 50: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments CONGRATULATIONS, 3 Amigos!
You now have an updated BINGO card with a stamp on 'angels'. 

[Your updated BINGO card can be viewed on page 1]

Good Job!! :D

« previous 1 3 4 5