Play Book Tag discussion

Horrible Harry Says Goodbye
This topic is about Horrible Harry Says Goodbye
Archive: Other Books > Horrible Harry Says Goodbye - Suzy Kline

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8146 comments I didn't even add this to my book count, but I wanted to reprint my letter on Goodreads somewhere. Its not even for the errant point. I don't review most of the children's books, and almost never the one's under 150 pages. But this was the last (ever) of the horrible harry series, and it came at just the right time.

A Note for Suzy:

I just wanted to tell you how much my son(s) and I have loved your books. We just adored every single one! I read a few with my older sons, but really began the entire series at the opening of second grade and finished the second to last one at the end of third. I knew it was coming out in October, and I knew our beloved Harry was moving. Here's what I didn't know.....

In the last days of third grade, my son said goodbye to his absolute best friend, to go to summer camp for seven weeks. I found out just days after he left, that his friend was suddenly moving (forced actually) back to Israel. Wouldn't be there for fourth grade, and wasn't just a town away, but a country. I wasn't sure they would even get to see each other before the leave would take place. Much like Harry and Doug, their goodbye wasn't smooth and it certainly wasn't emotional. It was almost too hard. On the last pages of your series, the kids are hugging in front of the house in the last moments before leaving, after a week of kids and excitement closes out the year. Well I can tell you, as summer closed out, parties, and get togethers, and all kinds of hoopla for the beginning of school, there were our two, as the sun was setting on a Sunday night in early September, and it was the last of the goodbyes. We had gone out for dinner and ice cream, and now the kids are playing basketball as the shy darkened, and the last families, the last of the best friends are gathered. The older brother is almost sobbing as his two friends embraced him. The mom's are just nuts with tears, the little sister is playing basketball with our two and the Dad, and people start piling into cars. As usual, no one can stop the basketball game. Always one more shot! Finally our boys are hugging yet again, and the kid's Dad asks them to sing a song together, which they had just done on the way home from Ice Cream. This was the longest song ever, (Sunflower - I guess I love you too much) and it was cute, and we took pictures. They were still singing as we said goodbye, and the cars pulled away. Us two minutes from home, their family on yet another weeklong adventure before returning to Israel. It was was a perfect ending, and less sad than it could have been. With promises to stay in touch, the two kids started the fourth grade each anew.

Two weeks later, your book showed up at the library. We said goodbye to our friend and their beautiful family, and now we said goodbye to Harry and Doug. I loved how it brought it full circle, that that is why Doug began writing the stories. I wanted to say thank you, for an era, and for touching our lives these last years, and for touching us at just the right time. My guy wants to move straight to Harry Potter One. I had planned to wait a few months. Get a few more of the younger books under our belt. Maybe start in December. But nope, he checked it out of the library. He is growing up, and like his high brothers, doesn't want to miss the fun. I said, Horrible Harry first, then we can start right after that. So its fitting - somehow he is growing up, saying goodbye and hello. Again, we wanted to say thank you - for all the laughs, but most importantly the beautiful friendships portrayed. No series lasts forever - friendships grow and change. And there are more friendships to be had. But the feeling of your first best friend? Well Suzy? I do believe that is for forever. Something you never forget and hold onto. Thank you again for Harry and Doug.

Best Wishes,

Amy and Cameron Friedman

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7107 comments This is lovely Amy-thanks for sharing it! We loved Horrible Harry too in our house!

message 3: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1108 comments It's interesting how fiction mirrors real life and how books can be so timely. When my son was in 4th grade, he had a cyst removed from his forehead which left a long scar. He comforted himself that he looked like Harry Potter, who also had a scar. I'll never forget that.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8146 comments Thank you both for your touching note and being with me on the journey!