What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-Fi/Fantasy Anthology with Cat Story

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taelle (new)

Taelle I'm actually looking for a short story that probably appeared in a Fantasy or Sci-Fi Fantasy Anthology of short stories. I vaguely remember checking out the book from the library.

Details I remember about the book:

* We read it in the mid 1980's to early 1990.

* The short story was about a couple, who had either recently moved to a new home or had acquired a new cat. (Can't remember which)

* The cat starts to bring home strange, unidentifiable creatures. I think the first free were dead.

*Eventually one of the creatures is alive and it turns out to be a brownie, or gnome or fairy, something like that.

*Mayhem follows, but I don't recall the rest of the story or the resolution.

Does the story sound familiar to any other fantasy/sci-fi fans?

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2056 comments Makes me think of Kuttner's "Housing Problem" http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2008/0...

message 3: by Taelle (new)

Taelle It's that type of short story. Definitely. But the cat bringing home fairy creatures is the highlight of the story I'm looking for.

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 141 comments I would love to read this, also! I’ll try to help find it.

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 141 comments There was a story anthology series, edited by Andre Norton, called CatFantastic. There were five books in the series (CatFantastic I, II, III, IV, and V). They contained stories all based somehow on cats, in the fantasy genre. I only read one or two of the books, and that was a very long time ago... but they might be worth looking into?

message 6: by Taelle (new)

Taelle I'm not sure I'd recognize the story but the title but I'll definitely look at that series to see if there are any probable titles in the anthologies. Thanks?

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott There was also Twists of the Tale although they were horror stories.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1476 comments I know that Fritz Leiber wrote a fair amount of stories about cats, perhaps it was one of those.