Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Against Death: 35 Essays on Living
This topic is about Against Death
Book Issues > Cover image, book info, + description -- please add

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Smith-Stevens | 4 comments hello! I'm a contributor to the anthology, AGAINST DEATH: 35 ESSAYS ON LIVING, edited by Elee Kraljii Gardiner. Here is a link to the publisher's website listing me as a contributor: http://www.anvilpress.com/Books/again...

I have requested to be added as a contributor on the anthology's Goodreads page.

Can you please add an image of the cover? An image of it can be found here: https://www.amazon.ca/Against-Death-3...

Can you also please add the following?
Publisher: Anvil Press
Publication Date (Canada): 9/1/2019
Publication Date (United States of America): 9/30/2019
ISBN: 978-1-77214-127-6
SKU #: H18A
Binding:PAPERBACK
Pages:320

Description (from publisher's website http://www.anvilpress.com/Books/again... )

Against Death: 35 Essays On Living articulates the personal experiences of each author’s “near-deathness,” utilizing fresh and inventive language to represent what “magical thinking” proposes. These pieces are incisive and articulate, avoiding the usual platitudes, feel-good bromides, and pep talks associated with near-death encounters. The writing moves past the sob story and confronts the tough circumstance of facing death with truth and compassion, no matter how ugly or (in)convenient.

Contributors:
Adrian M. Zytkoskee * Aislinn Hunter * Amanda Earl * Angela Rawlings * Becky Blake * Ben Gallagher * Bruce Meyer * C. M. Faulkner * Elee Kraljii Gardiner * Emma Smith-Stevens * Fiona Tinwei Lam * Harry Langen * Jane Mellor * Jennie Duguay * Jennifer Van Evra * Jessica Michalofsky * Jill Yonit Goldberg * Joe Average * John Asfour * Kateri Lanthier * Kerri Power * Kiera Miller * Laurie Lewis * Lisa Neighbour * Maureen Medved * Moira MacDougall * Nikki Reimer * Rabi Qureshi * Rachel Rose * Rebecca Fredrickson * Sarah Lyn Eaton * Susan Briscoe * Susan Cormier * Tanis MacDonald * Vera Constantineau

Advanced Praise:

“The writers of these essays are courage embodied, honesty defined, strength incarnate. They refuse to look away, to be polite, to soften the blow. If you are willing to go where they are brave enough to take you, you will emerge awake and aware, a little joyful, a little frightened, and determined to live a little bigger every day.”
— Pam Houston, author of Deep Creek, Finding Hope in The High Country.

“The nimble, serious play of the title, Against Death: 35 Essays on Living, is an accurate reflection of the range of tones, approaches, and experiences with death (which is to say, living) inside this vibrant, tender collection. While one need not be grieving to find resonance here, those who grief has touched will not feel silenced or pushed outside. In eloquent, luminous prose, these essays will be a companion to many and will be a collection to return to (again lives inside against). As editor Elee Kraljii Gardiner reminds us, ‘To be against something can be to reject or refute it. But to be against death can also mean to be in contact with, pressed up next to, to be intimately proximate with mortality.’ This is all of us. I am grateful for this gathering and for this expansive (re)framing.”
—TC Tolbert, author of Gephyromania and co-editor of Troubling the Line: Trans and Genderqueer Poetry and Poetics

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dskjcz) | 96 comments https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

I can not add the praise on the description, but I did add all the contributors to it. Per GR policy, "The description can be a couple of sentences or paragraphs describing the content of the book. It should be a generic summary and should NOT include reviews or personal feelings (i.e. "This is a book about sisters. It was good. You should read it"). "

Emma Smith-Stevens | 4 comments Oh yes, my apologies--I forgot about not including reviews.

Thank you so much for adding all of the contributors! I wanted to ask, but it seemed like a big job. We all really appreciate it. I hope you have a great night!
-Emma

Emma Smith-Stevens | 4 comments One other thing, if that's ok. I just noticed that there are two editions, but they are identical. There is only one version of this book. Can you please merge them?
Thanks again, Debbie!

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dskjcz) | 96 comments There are 2 books..someone created one with out any isbn information, and people have shelved it, that is why I kept it and combined the 2 books. It will not allow me to delete the book since people have shelved it :(

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dskjcz) | 96 comments After the site refreshed, it finally let me get rid of the duplicate paperback!

"That edition will be deleted shortly. 1 review will be merged." It may take a little bit of time to see the other one gone..

Emma Smith-Stevens | 4 comments You are a STAR. Thank you so much for all your help!