Calvinist Batman & Friends discussion

What Is a Girl Worth?: My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics
This topic is about What Is a Girl Worth?
September - Girl Worth > First day!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rose Elliott | 28 comments Mod
Hey everyone,

Today, we begin reading "What is a Girl Worth?" together. I had the opportunity to be on the launch team for this book, and this is one you are not going to want to miss. This book is incredibly powerful, very well-written, and extremely compelling. There are parts that will make you uncomfortable, and this book will make you reconsider how *you* have approached the topic of sexual abuse. Rachael is personable as she walks her readers through her story of abuse, coming to terms with her abuse, and fighting for justice for herself and hundreds of other girls and women who were abused by Larry Nassar. Since today is the first day of reading "What is a Girl Worth?" I will just pose this one question:

What comes to mind when you hear that title? What is a Girl Worth? The first thing that comes in your mind. Answer here if you're okay with sharing, and then hang on to that answer as you read. At the end, we'll talk about how our answers to this question may have changed. :)

My answer to this when I first started reading was to think about our worth in Christ. We have a lot of people even in Christendom trying to point our worth to less things like obedience, motherhood (or fatherhood), and whether or not we have a spouse. The answer to "What is a girl worth?" was that we find our worth in Christ and that the answer is found in him. Rachael challenged my kneejerk response to this question, and I'm excited to see how we are all challenged in answering this question and the many others we'll discuss throughout this book.

Please share your "first thought" answers to this question below! I'll start a chapter 1 tomorrow. Looking forward to this discussion!

-Rose

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
An infinite amount.