The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Midnight at the Blackbird Café
This topic is about Midnight at the Blackbird Café
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Midnight at the Blackbird Café by Heather Webber - October 2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4684 comments The group chose to read Midnight at the Blackbird Café by Heather Webber in October as our "touch of paranormal or fantasy" themed read. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Midnight at the Blackbird Café by Heather Webber

Heather Webber's Midnight at the Blackbird Cafe is a captivating blend of magical realism, heartwarming romance, and small-town Southern charm.

Nestled in the mountain shadows of Alabama lies the little town of Wicklow. It is here that Anna Kate has returned to bury her beloved Granny Zee, owner of the Blackbird Café.

It was supposed to be a quick trip to close the café and settle her grandmother’s estate, but despite her best intentions to avoid forming ties or even getting to know her father’s side of the family, Anna Kate finds herself inexplicably drawn to the quirky Southern town her mother ran away from so many years ago, and the mysterious blackbird pie everybody can’t stop talking about.

As the truth about her past slowly becomes clear, Anna Kate will need to decide if this lone blackbird will finally be able to take her broken wings and fly.

Carol (fleter) | 106 comments I’m 13% of the way in....quirky southern characters. Reminds me some of Joshilyn Jackson books, Whistlestop Cafe. It is a huge change from my most recently read books - shifting my mindset!

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4684 comments Carol wrote: "I’m 13% of the way in....quirky southern characters. Reminds me some of Joshilyn Jackson books, Whistlestop Cafe. It is a huge change from my most recently read books - shifting my mindset!"

That's good news for me! I enjoy Joshilyn Jackson and it should be good timing for me for that type of book. I hope my library hold comes in on time, otherwise I may just splurge and buy it.

Carol (fleter) | 106 comments Finished! Sweet southern lit, complete with a small town, quirky but lovable characters, with a little magic and mystery thrown in. Enjoyable, sweet read.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4684 comments Glad you enjoyed it, Carol!

Summer (paradisecity) | 33 comments This wasn't my usual genre, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! The characters were interesting, there was a good balance of plot elements, and the magical realism wasn't overdone. I do have a few questions, though. (view spoiler)

Also, have any of you read similar books? I'd like to find some more cozy-style books that aren't mysteries or romances, like this one.

Carol (fleter) | 106 comments Summer - I would recommend authors Fredrik Backman, Joshilyn Jackson, and the book One Mississippi by Mark Childress.

Summer (paradisecity) | 33 comments Thanks, Carol! Appreciate the recs. :)

Sandra | 3 comments Summer wrote: "This wasn't my usual genre, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! The characters were interesting, there was a good balance of plot elements, and the magical realism wasn't overdone. I do h..."

I love anything by Sarah Addison Allen. Her writing style seems very similar to me. I think that Garden Spells is one of my favorites!

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 216 comments Sandra wrote: "Summer wrote: "This wasn't my usual genre, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! The characters were interesting, there was a good balance of plot elements, and the magical realism wasn't o..."

Garden Spells is one of my favorites too!

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4684 comments I'm still waiting on my library for this one. It's expected in about 3 weeks. I still plan to read it as soon as I can.

Carol (fleter) | 106 comments Have added Garden Spells to my reading list!

Sandra | 3 comments Okay, I just finished! Another great book to add to my favorites!! This book was full of everything that I love in a book! Lovable small town vibe, quirky fun characters, interesting plot & with a touch of magical realism thrown in for good measure. I definitely recommend this book to fans of Garden Spells! I LOVED this book!!

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4684 comments I finally got this one from the library!! I have another book I'll need to read first, but I should be able to read this one after that. A month late, but that's ok.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4684 comments I did finally read this one, but forgot to come back and comment! I thought it was really cute. I did think it wrapped up a little too neatly, but I enjoyed the story and I'd like to read more by Heather Webber in the future.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Midnight at the Blackbird Café (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Heather Webber (other topics)