Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > September 15th - September 22nd

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1420 comments Mod
Do you have a favorite book detective? What about this person or persons do you like or admire? Do you have the same characteristics?

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen (karen94066) | 258 comments My favorite private detective in fiction is Hubert (Hubie) Schuze from the Pot Thief series. He has a great outlook on life. When the government makes it illegal to dig for pots, he rationalizes what he does over a margarita with his long time friend. He never cheats his customers, although they sometimes try to cheat him. I always learn something when I read his books. This is one of the few series I am usually caught up on, except I hold one back until the next one is out. J. Michael Orenduff is the author.

message 3: by David (last edited Sep 15, 2019 03:19PM) (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2205 comments Favorite PI - Robert B. Parker's Spenser. He's the first PI I recall reading, and Parker's lean prose caught my attention and interest. If I could capture any writer's style in my own writing, it would be his.

Favorite Police Procedural - Ed McBain's 87th Precinct books. In 50+ books over 50 years, he had such a good handle on the genre, no one came close to matching him.

Favorite Cop - Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch. Writing that captures Harry so well, it would be easy to believe he is a real person.

message 4: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments This is an intriguing question, since it can be hard to separate the detective from the series. I will have to give some thought to this!

message 5: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 1949 comments Sherlock Holmes 🕵️‍♂️

I like that he (usually) doesn’t assume anything until he has all the facts. No. I’m not like him. Hahahahaha 😹 Maybe on occasion I’m ok at process of elimination, which is one of strategies.

I've having to think about this one too. I don't like Harry Bosch. Maybe because it's easy to believe he's a real person and he just bothers me. I do like Sherlock though. Just not sure he's my fav.

Karen, I'm not familiar with Hubie. Better check into this series.

message 7: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 325 comments I am finding it so hard to separate the detective character from the plot and the setting and the quality of the writing! I think I've narrowed it down to detectives who have the key character trait of knowing the difference between right and wrong, and who are willing to take risks based on that awareness. But there are still so many who fit that criteria, from Philip Marlowe to V I Warshawski to Armand Gamache! Hmm.... I will continue to try to narrow it down.

Sheri, I haven't read the Bosch books, but I think I feel much the same about Rankin's Rebus. Just can't warm up to him.

message 8: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Sep 16, 2019 08:45AM) (new)

Mystery_Lover wrote: "My favourite is Harry Hole if we exclude Sherlock Holmes." Have you read Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch? I've read that Harry Hole and Harry Bosch may be similar. Just wondering.

Right now I'm reading Louise Penny's A Trick of the Light and maybe have a crush on Chief Inspector Gamache. Barbara, he knows right from wrong and is just plain nice.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 16 comments Ooh, I have several. My top three (at the moment) are:

1. Inspector Gamache (by Louise Penny) (because . . . Inspector Gamache)
2. Agent Pendergast (by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child) ((for all his foibles and persnickety behavior, he is an awesome detective)
3. Andy Carpenter (by David Rosenfelt) (Andy is a lawyer with a quick wit and keen sense of humor, and he loves dogs -- what's not to like?)

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) My favourite are

1. Inspector Gamache - Louise Penny - a gentle giant
2. Harry Bosch - Michael Connelly - portrayed as a grumpy man. However, he is a softy.
3. Eve Dallas - J.D. Robb - the care of the dead and the relationship between she has with her team and husband
4. Munro Brothers - Chris Taylor - the care they give to others.
5. Detective Kay Hunter - Rachel Amphlett - strong female lead

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Wazowski (mikequist1) Lisbeth Salander (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

She is such a badass and I love her for it.

She and I have nothing in common. I only wish I had her computer hacking skills.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Michael wrote: "Lisbeth Salander (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo)

She is such a badass, and I love her for it.

She and I have nothing in common. I only wish I had her computer hacking skills."

I also enjoy Lisbeth Salander! We have so few good strong female characters in crime books.