Great War (1914-1918): The Society and Culture of the First World War discussion

Literature > New novel set at the Paris Peace Coonference

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Oser | 33 comments Friends, I'm happy to announce publication of my fourth novel, NOVEMBER TO JULY. Set in Paris immediately following the armistice of 1918, it concerns itself with picking up the pieces on both the personal and political scales. For the main character, Eleanor Simons, the future looks bleak; her fiancé has died in the war, and she finds herself adrift, suddenly contemplating a long stretch of empty lifetime. Paris is a beehive of diplomats who have convened to make a lasting peace, and Eleanor finds a job clerking at the conference. There are flashbacks to the war, in which Eleanor has served as a nurse. You'll find sections dealing with medical issues, including blood transfusions and the infancy of plastic surgery. But the peace conference is the main event, and through the novel I've explored how it became such a colossal failure.

message 2: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 72 comments Some years ago, I had the pleasure of reading "Peacemakers: Six Months that Changed the World" by the Canadian historian Margaret MacMillan, which stimulated my current interest in that historical event.

So, I was delighted to see your mention of your new novel, which I just ordered. Thanks so much.

Peacemakers Six Months that Changed the World by Margaret MacMillan

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Oser | 33 comments Thanks to you. Hope you like it, and hope you'll leave a review on Amazon/Goodreads. MacMillan's is a wonderful history.

message 4: by Sep (new)

Sep | 10 comments Just bought a Kindle version. Thank you for making sure that "November to July" came out in Kindle. Looking forward to a good read.

Great War (1914-1918): The Society and Culture...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Peacemakers: Six Months that Changed the World (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret MacMillan (other topics)