Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Challenges > October 2019 - Oktoberfest

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1250 comments Mod
🍻Octoberfest Challenge🍺
Duration:
October 1 - 31, 2019

First a little background:

Oktoberfest (German pronunciation: [ɔkˈtoːbɐˌfɛst]) is the world's largest Volksfest (beer festival and traveling funfair). Held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, it is a 16- to 18-day folk festival running from mid or late September to the first Sunday in October, with more than six million people from around the world attending the event every year. Locally, it is often called the Wiesn, after the colloquial name for the fairgrounds, Theresa's meadows (Theresienwiese). The Oktoberfest is an important part of Bavarian culture, having been held since the year 1810. Other cities across the world also hold Oktoberfest celebrations that are modeled after the original Munich event. (from wikipedia)

The Challenge:

Read Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers that:

- are written by a German author
- have a main character that is German
- are set in Germany
- set during the Oktoberfest
- set at a brewery
- where beer is prominent

Which size stein will you be drinking this month:

(super easy)
- tasting glass - read one book
(easy) - 1/4 liter stein - read two books
(medium) - 1/2 liter stein - read three books
(hard) - 3/4 liter stein - read four books
(super hard) - 1 liter stein - read five or more books

How to participate:

Make a comment below to indicate you're participating and how many clues you plan to find. You can edit your comment as you go to update your list of books or reply with a new comment. It would be fun to use the "add book" feature to show the cover of the books when you update your list.

Happy Reading!

🍻Octoberfest Challenge🍺Participants:

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments I am reading a book in German called Morduntersuchungskommission. It takes place in East Germany in October 1983. They do mention beer but not Oktoberfest probably because they didn't celebrate it in East Germany. The main character is a German police detective in a homicide squad. It is a thriller and a commentary about racism in East Germany when an African guest worker is murdered. It is not yet available in English.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Rothenberger | 1 comments Ok. This is my first challenge here (and my first in years) so I think I’ll go easy on myself. I’ll read Philip Kerr’s March Violets. I’ve had the audio in my TBR pile for a long time, but never finished it. Let’s give it another try!