Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Getting to Know You > Are You Well-Read in World Literature?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 15, 2019 10:34AM) (new)

Diane | 12904 comments Take this quiz to find out: https://www.listchallenges.com/are-yo...

How did you do?

message 2: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 2 comments I love this list! These are exactly the kind of titles that I want to read. Is there a way to save only the titles?

Thank you for sharing this.

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 3060 comments I got 146 titles, which ranks me at no. 6.

(I am addicted to list challenges. I have found a lot of great reading ideas from their various lists.)

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 627 comments I was hoping for at least 100 since there 1000 books, but I only got 89. There are lots I want to read and many I've never heard of.

message 5: by Edie (new)

Edie | 5 comments I ended up with 29, placing #321. There are are several books that I am planning of reading this year, a number of books on my TBR list and LOTS of books I never heard of.

message 6: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1346 comments Excellent quiz! I’ve read 166 so far, but there are so many more that I’d like to read on the list.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1015 comments I’ve read 55, but I own at least another 100. I liked this list a lot, for its coverage of contemporary as well as classic novels. It’s a great find.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read 60, so I have a long way to go.

message 9: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 16, 2019 05:21PM) (new)

Cheryl | 861 comments Such an inspiring list!
I've read 64. Many more are on my TBR!

message 10: by Rita (new)

Rita Gould (ritakitty) With 22 books, I'm 491. More to read!

message 11: by Ana (new)

Ana | 8 comments I´ve read 74 books so far. Good list, thank you.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick (nickdee) | 1 comments Only 24 (I'm coming 462nd!) I started off okay but really faded over the last 800 books.

message 13: by Jovan (new)

Jovan (iovan) | 163 comments I think Kreutzer sonata of Tolstoj is twice on the list. I haven‚t ead any of two.
Seriously I get only 1 of 10 from mine region + I missed Zweig books. I read so far wrong three, but also Pamuk, Aljende. Ljosa.
I am too in golden middle 23 books.

message 14: by Kat (last edited Oct 22, 2019 02:22PM) (new)

Kat | 3 comments I scored 22.

However, the list is biased towards English readers, as the 'foreign/world' one are all translated works. What about untranslated ones? And what about other works from authors on this list? Tolstoy wrote more than two books. I feel I have read far more fantastic world literatur than the 22 I could find on the list.

message 15: by Jovan (new)

Jovan (iovan) | 163 comments Kat wrote: "I scored 22. However, the list is biased towards English readers, as they're all translated works. I feel I have read far more fantastic world literatur that weren't on the list, than the 22 I coul..."

Not just to English readers, I am from Eastern europe and I feel like you.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 36 comments Only 14 out of the thousand, which is embarrassingly low, but then only a few years ago that number would have only been one or two, so I’m making progress and hopefully picking up the pace!

Many of these were already on my TBR but there were also quite a few that I was unfamiliar with and must now look up.

Thank you for posting this! :)

message 17: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 71 comments I read 86 and a couple are waiting to be read on my shelves. interesting mix of genres & always interested to see what other people pick from little translated/published parts of the world. I definitely would not have chosen some of the books on the list in my native language, haha!

message 18: by Ruth (last edited Apr 12, 2021 05:26AM) (new)

Ruth | 423 comments Quite an eclectic list and for some authors (as some have already pointed out) they've chosen one or two from the many these authors actually wrote. This was the case for me with both Miguel Delibes and Camilo José Cela. At least 15 titles are on my to read list and I'll be reading those when I'm able to get hold of them, international titles are few from my library, both as books and ebooks, and I keep a watchful eye on the stock in my local Oxfam bookshop. I've read 85 from the list so far. Update now read 99 (April 2021)

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen This was great fun to review, and I added some that I'd never heard of before. I've read 42, have plans to read 8 more this year, and have many on my TBR. Lots of good reading ahead!

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1015 comments Carol wrote: "I’ve read 55, but I own at least another 100. I liked this list a lot, for its coverage of contemporary as well as classic novels. It’s a great find."

I'm up to 62. Upon another go at it, it's a rather odd combination of titles, with a distinctly heavy bend toward Japanese and, oddly, toward mystery/crime novels, both of which benefit me greatly. But Malice, for example? It wouldn't be on anyone's list of top 30 Japanese novels and, yet, here it is.

Still - I love it's quirkiness.

message 21: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Durisin | 157 comments I've read 55 of those listed, and in some other instances I've read an author who made this list but not the specific title chosen. This is a great resource for expanding my reading of non-American books.

message 22: by George P. (new)

George P. | 62 comments I've read 94; looks like I'm in 3rd place of those who have commented so far- I'll take the bronze medal proudly.
About 15 of them are in my list for my next 60 books to read, so I should be over 100 by this date next year.

I notice Diane didn't post her own number- 250 or so? That would lower me to 4th ;)

message 23: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 74 comments I've read 53, and apparently that puts me as #178 of the users (of the list). I also noticed a handful that are on my 2020 reading list.

message 24: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 627 comments I'm up to 101 books which is an increase of 12 books since I checked last September. I have several more on the list planned for this year so I may try to check in January and see how I have improved.

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I've read 22!

You did better than 68% of users on this list
Your rank: #768 of 2,431 users on this list
You beat the avg. score of 21

message 26: by Missy J (new)

Missy J (missyj333) | 208 comments I read 115 books (12% of the 1000 books). And ranked #38 LOL

Interesting! There are 3 books that I'm planning to read next on that list!

message 27: by Rowizyx (new)

Rowizyx | 423 comments I read 83 of 1.000 books...

You did better than 97% of users on this list
Your rank: #101 of 3.890 users on this list
You beat the avg. score of 21

But there are several books in this list and in my tbr too... and I read also a few authors in the list (different titles). Good!

message 28: by Stacia (new)

Stacia | 25 comments What I've read: 78 of 1,000 (8%)

What I tried to read & abandoned partway through: 26 of 1,000 (3%)

So, I've read or tried about 10% of the list. Still a long way to go!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Malice (other topics)