Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Archives > Nominate Our November Books of the Month

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12832 comments Post your nominations here for the November group reads. A significant portion of the book must be set in the featured location. We will be reading a selection set in Togo, a translated book from a female writer, and a memoir from a writer from Southeast Asia.

Burundi*:
Nominate a book set in Burundi.
Burundi Book List: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Burundi Bookshelf: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

Women in Translation
Nominate a translated book from a female author that is translated from Turkic or Caucasian languages. Examples of Turkic and Caucasian languages still spoken include Abkhaz, Adygey Chechen, Cherkess, Afshar, Agul, Altay, Armenian, Avar, Azerbaijani/Azeri, Balkar, Bashkir, Chuvash, Dagestani, Dargin, Dolgan, Gaugaz, Georgian, Ingush, Kabardin, Karachay, Karaim, Karakalpak, Kazakh, Khorasani Turkic, Krymchak, Kumyk, Kyrgyz, Lak, Lezgin, Nogay, Qashqai, Rutul, Sakha, Salar, Shor, Tabasaran, Tatar, Tofa, Tsakhur, Turkish, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uyghur, Uzbek, and Yakut. Some of the countries/regions where a significant percentage of the population speak either Turkic or Caucasian languages include Abkhazia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Chechnya, Crimea, Gagauzia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Siberian Russia, Uzbekistan, some parts of western China and western Iran.

World Memoirs
Nominate a memoir or autobiography from one of the following countries in Sub-Saharan Africa: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cote d'Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Seychelles, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. . The book must be a non-fiction memoir and set in one of these countries/regions.

For a list of books we have read in previous months, click here: Previously Read Group Read Books

*For our featured world country selection (this month it is Burundi): If the book selected by popular vote is not written by a native or resident author of at least 1 year, the book written by a native/resident author with the highest votes will also be selected, resulting in two book selections for that country.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments For Burundi, I nominate Small Country by Gaël Faye.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments For Women in Translation, I nominate 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World by Elif Shafak.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

For World Memoirs, I nominate In the Shadow of Man by Jane Goodall.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I like these nominations but I really want to read, The Other Half of Augusta Hope. So I'd like to nominate this for Burundi, please.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret I second Augusta Hope and 10 Minutes.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 1002 comments For World Memoirs, I nominate The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper.

Here's a description:

Journalist Helene Cooper examines the violent past of her home country Liberia and the effects of its 1980 military coup in this deeply personal memoir and finalist for the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award.

Helene Cooper is “Congo,” a descendant of two Liberian dynasties—traced back to the first ship of freemen that set sail from New York in 1820 to found Monrovia. Helene grew up at Sugar Beach, a twenty-two-room mansion by the sea. Her childhood was filled with servants, flashy cars, a villa in Spain, and a farmhouse up-country. It was also an African childhood, filled with knock foot games and hot pepper soup, heartmen and neegee. When Helene was eight, the Coopers took in a foster child—a common custom among the Liberian elite. Eunice, a Bassa girl, suddenly became known as “Mrs. Cooper’s daughter.”

For years the Cooper daughters—Helene, her sister Marlene, and Eunice—blissfully enjoyed the trappings of wealth and advantage. But Liberia was like an unwatched pot of water left boiling on the stove. And on April 12, 1980, a group of soldiers staged a coup d'état, assassinating President William Tolbert and executing his cabinet. The Coopers and the entire Congo class were now the hunted, being imprisoned, shot, tortured, and raped. After a brutal daylight attack by a ragtag crew of soldiers, Helene, Marlene, and their mother fled Sugar Beach, and then Liberia, for America. They left Eunice behind.

A world away, Helene tried to assimilate as an American teenager. At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill she found her passion in journalism, eventually becoming a reporter for the Wall Street Journal and the New York Times. She reported from every part of the globe—except Africa—as Liberia descended into war-torn, third-world hell.

In 2003, a near-death experience in Iraq convinced Helene that Liberia—and Eunice—could wait no longer. At once a deeply personal memoir and an examination of a violent and stratified country, The House at Sugar Beach tells of tragedy, forgiveness, and transcendence with unflinching honesty and a survivor's gentle humor. And at its heart, it is a story of Helene Cooper’s long voyage home.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/book...

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique | 10 comments For the southeast Asia memoir, Where We Once Belonged by Sia Fiegel is outstanding.

message 9: by Monique (new)

Monique | 10 comments For Burundi, an epic and deeply touching book is My Country Wept by Jess Komanapali. The author eloquently tells the true story of her Burundian friend. Fabulous read!!

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen (bookertalk) | 1 comments For Rwanda I suggest The Barefoot Woman by Scholastique Mukasonga who was the only member of her family to survive the Genocide in that country. The book is about her mother and the traditions of the Tutsi minority

message 11: by Kristin (last edited Sep 27, 2019 01:48PM) (new)

Kristin | 25 comments Just adding links for the above mentioned books.
So many good suggestions!

Where We Once Belonged by Sia Figiel

My Country Wept by Jessica Komanapalli

The Barefoot Woman by Scholastique Mukasonga

message 12: by C.H. (new)

C.H. Colman | 8 comments Carol wrote: "For Women in Translation, I nominate 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in this Strange World by Elif Shafak."

Great choice. An inspirational book, as inspirational as the author.

message 13: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12832 comments Nominations will close tomorrow.