Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams -- 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
4.5 stars (round down to 4)

This book is absolutely nothing like what I thought it was going to be. It was better. It is marketed as a modern take on Bridget Jones and, while I love Bridget Jones, that description does a disservice to this book.

Queenie is 25 and lives in London. She lives with her boyfriend Tom, she works for a newspaper in the society section, and she has a fraught relationship with her Jamaican-British family. All in all, her life is pretty good.

Then, Tom breaks up with her, seemingly to Queenie, out of the blue. And, Queenie is determined that this is merely a break and she is going to wait for Tom to realize they are still meant to be together. But, while she is waiting, Queenie has a lot of sex. With a lot of random guys.

Reviewers have described it as light-hearted or "chick lit," but it ultimately is none of these things. It eventually takes a hard look at Queenie's mental health, her motivation for all of this casual sex, and examines family relationships and friendships. It also touches on sexual harassment, racial discrimination, and gentrification.

This most likely will be in my Top 10 of the year. I just hit on so many themes that I have seen among me and my friends related to break-ups, self-esteem, and unhealthy coping mechanisms. The writing was fine, the story was above-average, but the message was spot on.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5296 comments Nicole, I'm so glad you liked it and I had a hunch you would. It did start out light-hearted and I began to be disappointed, but it quickly changed into something else altogether.

I think while you never say to yourself "Wow, this is great writing," the author is very adept at character development and also I was impressed at how well she highlighted white privilege. She included so many great examples and I'd bet that many of them happened to her.

Carty-Williams also has a great sense of humor and it kept the book from ever becoming to heavy. I loved that Queenie called her group of friends the Corgis.

I didn't give it a 5 and I'm not sure if it will make my top 10, but talking about it reminds me of how much I liked it. In the end I may add another point. I'll see how this stays with me.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I also listened to this on Audible and it was excellently done. I am always surprised at how much that con influence my enjoyment!

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5296 comments I can see that if the audible was well done it would be a good listen, especially if the accents are done correctly.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3774 comments Added this to my TBR a while ago based on another PBT review, but you have me convinced I'm gonna REALLY Like it!

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I have a feeling you will, Joi! I will definitely be interested in your take when you get to it!

message 7: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5296 comments Me, too, Joi!

I think this is one that many will enjoy.