Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

Addiction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Koren (last edited Sep 15, 2019 10:02AM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 2736 comments Mod
Drunkard: A Hard-Drinking Life by Neil Steinberg
4 stars
Drunkard A Hard-Drinking Life by Neil Steinberg

The author is a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times so when, in an alcoholic rage, he hits his wife (something he never did sober), of course it is a big deal and makes the paper. He writes a book about his path to sobriety and all the pitfalls along the way. Few people succeed the first time and the author is no different. Drinking was a way of life for him and it was hard to quit when alcohol was all around and also being in the public eye. I was glad his wife stuck by him. This was a good look at what goes on inside the head of someone who is doing the best they can but, after all, is human.

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1230 comments Koren wrote: "Drunkard: A Hard-Drinking Life by Neil Steinberg
4 stars
Drunkard A Hard-Drinking Life by Neil Steinberg

The author is a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times so when, in an alco..."

I have read his column for years but never read any of his books-added this to my list>

message 3: by Selina (new)

Selina (literatelibrarian) | 2261 comments Have you read Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher?

Although it's more about Carrie Fishers crazy family and her bipolar disorder than drinking.

The other addiction book that comes to mind is the High on Arrival by Mackenzie Phillips, the daughter of one of the Mamas and the Papas.

message 4: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1619 comments I always recommend Christiane F: Autobiography of a Girl of the Streets and Heroin Addict. She was selling herself on the streets to finance her heroin addiction from the age of 14. We were all reading it in high school.