You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Us Against You (Beartown, #2)
This topic is about Us Against You
Buddy Reads > Us Against You (by Fredrik Backman)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Margo, Janice and myself plan to read Us Against You by Fredrik Backman, which is book 2 in the Beartown series.

We haven't decided on the exact starting date yet, but it will most likely be in November.

Feel free to join us!

Margo | 9389 comments I'd suggest the middle of November. How about Friday 15th?

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Works for me!

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Works for me too.

Susan Guard | 695 comments I'd like to join in as well!

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I'm glad you're going to join us, Susan.

Margo | 9389 comments Welcome Susan :-)

Anyone want to propose a start date?

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Margo, see message 2, 3 & 4. I'm still good with Nov 15th.

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Lol Margo, it was your own suggestion, haha!

15th still works for me too.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I chuckle, but if I don't write things down, I forget too. I had updated the Buddy Read Calendar, and I have it on my personal tracking system. I use an app called "Evernote" to track my planned monthly reads.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I should write it down too. I only have in my head that I have a buddy read for book X planned at some time, and every now and then I go back to the thread to remind myself of the date. When it gets closer to the starting date, I tend to remember them, but we often plan them months ahead and that's just too much to ask of my brain ;-)

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Just check out the buddy reads calendar. All the upcoming buddy reads are listed along with the anticipated start dates.

Margo | 9389 comments Oh lord, it never even dawned on me to check previous posts, or the buddy read calendar. I even have a note in my reading plan that we start on the 15th.

Sorry Janice, you do a great job keeping track of everything :-)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments No worries, Margo. We'll keep each other organized. :)

message 15: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9169 comments I have BEARTOWN at home to read, but I doubt I will read it before the 15th. I have a buddy read right now and also have to read my book club pick before the 18th, plus the one I am currently reading. Still if I manage I will stop by here

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I have almost finished my current book and will start this one tomorrow, so slightly early. Just noticed that my book has an endorsement by Jojo Moyes on the front cover. Lol, I'm not a fan of her books at all and don't feel like she can compare to Fredrik Backman, so I feel almost insulted by this and it diminishes my view of the book.

message 17: by Ayacchi (new) - added it

Ayacchi | 837 comments Peggy wrote: "I have almost finished my current book and will start this one tomorrow, so slightly early. Just noticed that my book has an endorsement by Jojo Moyes on the front cover. Lol, I'm not a fan of her ..."

My currently reading book also has her name on the cover. I feel you Peg!

message 18: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandee) | 1 comments I’d like to read along with this group 😊

Margo | 9389 comments Peggy wrote: "I have almost finished my current book and will start this one tomorrow, so slightly early. Just noticed that my book has an endorsement by Jojo Moyes on the front cover. Lol, I'm not a fan of her ..."

That's great Sandra, the more the merrier 😊

Ayacchi, I hope you will also jump into the discussion.

Margo | 9389 comments Peggy wrote: "I have almost finished my current book and will start this one tomorrow, so slightly early. Just noticed that my book has an endorsement by Jojo Moyes on the front cover. Lol, I'm not a fan of her ..."

Ouch, I tried to read on of her books for my library book club and gave up at around 20%. It was the famous one about the girl looking after the disabled men. Her endorsment on a book cover would put me right off!

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Sandra wrote: "I’d like to read along with this group 😊"

That's great! You're very welcome :)

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Margo wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I have almost finished my current book and will start this one tomorrow, so slightly early. Just noticed that my book has an endorsement by Jojo Moyes on the front cover. Lol, I'm not..."

I thought I was the only one who didn't think that book was the best thing ever. I did finish it though.

If this were my first book by Backman and I hadn't heard about him before, her endorsement on the book would have probably made me decide that it would not be a book for me.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I read the first 3 chapters. I love it already. I absolutely love Backman's writing, not only in the way he formulates his sentences, but also the observations he makes about the world and people. He's so spot on!

(view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Peggy wrote: "Margo wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I have almost finished my current book and will start this one tomorrow, so slightly early. Just noticed that my book has an endorsement by Jojo Moyes on the front cover..."

I dislike endorsements on the covers of books anyway. With the sucess of Beartown I really don't think this sequel needed any help (or hindrance!!!).

Your initial observations make me want to jump in Peggy but I will have a busy day today so might start tomorrow.

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Sandra wrote: "I’d like to read along with this group 😊"

Welcome to YLTO Sandra! Please do join us for the discussion.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I had started another book, but it's going to take me a while to finish so I will pause it and start Us Against You. I'm not going to have any time to listen today, so I will start it tomorrow.

Margo | 9389 comments I started today. I am only somewhere in chapter 2 but I agree with all Peggy says about the writing. It is sparse but manages to convey so much emotion in a few words.

message 28: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments I finished chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Peggy wrote: "I read the first 3 chapters. I love it already. I absolutely love Backman's writing, not only in the way he formulates his sentences, but also the observations he makes about the world and people. ..."

(view spoiler)

End of chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Susan Guard | 695 comments I've been "reading" this as an audio book while walking on the treadmill. It's been good for me as I've been doing more mileage wanting to hear "just one more chapter". Really transfixed by the story.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I was going to pause my other book, but it started getting really interesting. LOL! I will start our book tonight.

message 32: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Margo wrote: "end of ch 5."

There seem to be a lot of little threads. Not sure if this already happened in chapter 5, but (view spoiler)

I'm really glad you feel the same about the writing! I keep thinking: wow, it's just amazing that he sees these things and then can put them into words so well, and also other observations he makes. I don't know, I feel a bit inadequate writing about it. It's a gift, that's for sure.

I finished chapter 9. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Susan wrote: "I've been "reading" this as an audio book while walking on the treadmill. It's been good for me as I've been doing more mileage wanting to hear "just one more chapter". Really transfixed by the story."

Haha, good that it makes you use the threadmill for a longer time! What is it that makes it so transfixing for you?

There's a lot of switching between characters, not between chapters but sometimes every paragraph is about someone else. I wouldn't want that in every book I read, but it works here. It builds up tension somehow. I think that's one of the things that's keeping me transfixed.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I hope the switching of characters is easy to follow on the audiobook.

Margo | 9389 comments Janice wrote: "I hope the switching of characters is easy to follow on the audiobook."

It is Janice. The flow is really good.

@Susan - I'm doing audio as well. I agree that it is transfixing. I had listened to the first 5 chapters before I realised it. The narration is great, isn't it?

@Peggy - re chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Nov 15, 2019 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments This is a bit off topic, but I let my sister access my audiobook library. She texted me today to tell me that she loved Beartown and wondered if there was a sequel. She'll be reading the book as we read it. Serendipity.

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I read to the end of Chapter 5. It's been a while since I read Beartown, and I'm glad we were given a synopsis of what had previously transpired.

Chapter 1-5 - (view spoiler)

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Margo wrote: "@Peggy - re chapter 5 (view spoiler).."

I live in a very similar topical and demographic area as the setting of Beartown. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments That's interesting Janice! (view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Janice wrote: "This is a bit off topic, but I let my sister access my audiobook library. She texted me today to tell me that she loved Beartown and wondered if there was a sequel. She'll be reading the book as we..."

Specs in the audiobook book group is also listening to it at the moment!

Margo | 9389 comments Janice and Peggy, (view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Janice wrote: "I read to the end of Chapter 5. It's been a while since I read Beartown, and I'm glad we were given a synopsis of what had previously transpired.

Chapter 1-5 - Up to this point, we've learned the..."

(view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Peggy wrote: "Margo wrote: "end of ch 5."

There seem to be a lot of little threads. Not sure if this already happened in chapter 5, but [spoilers removed]

I'm really glad you feel the same about the writing! I..."

Re chapter 9 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Margo wrote: "Janice and Peggy, in my town it is Hurling. The GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) that rules and yess, i have also witnessed the pack mentality and the political corruption.

Rugby is also a huge..."

Oh wow. That's almost exactly like what's happening in Beartown. The world is still so ignorant sometimes! It's weird how influential or well-loved people can still escape consequences.

Not sports related, but wasn't there a case in the UK recently where the wife of an American diplomat killed a young man in a car accident, and she escaped the country and is now using her diplomatic immunity to escape charges. I get that diplomats need some level of freedom to do their jobs, but they shouldn't be able to get away with something like this..

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Margo wrote: "Janice wrote: "I read to the end of Chapter 5. It's been a while since I read Beartown, and I'm glad we were given a synopsis of what had previously transpired.

Chapter 1-5 - Up to this point, we'..."

I wonder what would have happened if (view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments Peggy wrote: "Margo wrote: "Janice wrote: "I read to the end of Chapter 5. It's been a while since I read Beartown, and I'm glad we were given a synopsis of what had previously transpired.

Chapter 1-5 - Up to t..."

(view spoiler)

Margo | 9389 comments (view spoiler)

message 49: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Chapter 12. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14592 comments Oh wow, chapter 13: (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3 4