Reading 1001 discussion

24 views
Past Special Events/Challenges > Halloween Read 2019

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Our two Halloween reads are The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham and The Shining by Stephen King.

This challenge runs from October 1st to 31st. Read one or two books. Scoring 3 points per book total of 6 points for this challenge.

Link to reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Questions, comments, concerns let me know. Happy reading.


message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Here is the discussion thread for The Shining. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I just made library requests. The Shining has a long waiting list, so I doubt it will happen, but we will see.


message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 893 comments The shining is also on audiobook on libby if your library has that service(I know many in the US do), its on audible, and I found a version uploaded to youtube at some point if you are considering the audiobook.


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Amanda wrote: "The shining is also on audiobook on libby if your library has that service(I know many in the US do), its on audible, and I found a version uploaded to youtube at some point if you are considering ..."

Yes, I requested the audiobook from the library, but I am number 49 on 3 books, so it will be a long time.


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Kelly wrote: "Amanda wrote: "The shining is also on audiobook on libby if your library has that service(I know many in the US do), its on audible, and I found a version uploaded to youtube at some point if you a..."

I will check out youtube. Thanks! I wish it could be run at faster speed though. I always listen at 2x.


message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1918 comments Kelly wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Amanda wrote: "The shining is also on audiobook on libby if your library has that service(I know many in the US do), its on audible, and I found a version uploaded to youtube at some ..."

There is a way to increase the speed, but I can't remember how.


message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 893 comments It looks like the youtube link I found previously was taken down....darn. you can also get it on audio on a udiobooks.com or kobo if you free trial either of those services


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Amanda wrote: "It looks like the youtube link I found previously was taken down....darn. you can also get it on audio on a udiobooks.com or kobo if you free trial either of those services"

I belong to audible, but my credit for October is already claimed. I will see if I get to this.


message 10: by Book (last edited Sep 20, 2019 12:19PM) (new)

Book Wormy | 1815 comments Mod
I have read both of those already so that is me out :(
They are both great books


message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1918 comments Book wrote: "I have read both of those already so that is me out :(
They are both great books"


Me, too.


message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 501 comments I plan on reading The Day of the Triffids. I'm a big Wyndham fan, and if I read this it was more than 40 years ago...... so it's like a new book to me! ha, ha.


message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Finished Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham
3/5 stars

Review posted.


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Finished Day of the Triffids 3/5 stars. Posting review next.

BTW, I am staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park next week -- where The Shining was filmed.


message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Finished Day of the Triffids 3/5 stars. Posting review next.

BTW, I am staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park next week -- where The Shining was filmed."


That is so cool. Enjoy your trip. Post some pictures on Litsy.


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Diane wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Finished Day of the Triffids 3/5 stars. Posting review next.

BTW, I am staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park next week -- where The Shining was filmed."

That is so cool. Enjoy ..."


I don't really do Litsy anymore. Are you on Instagram?


message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Diane wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Finished Day of the Triffids 3/5 stars. Posting review next.

BTW, I am staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park next week -- where The Shining was filmed."

That is s..."


No not on Instagram or Facebook. Have a good time.


message 18: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Reminder that this challenge will end on the 31st of the month.


message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 124 comments I just started The Day of the Triffids. I should be able to finish by the 31st. I will post a review once I am done.


message 20: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1187 comments I just finished The Shining for my Halloween read. I think that Stanley Kubrick’s film The Shining based on this Stephen King book is one of the greatest psychological horror movies of all time. Many of the strongest images from the movie are not in the book and in some ways the book is more violent and gruesome than the movie. The book also lists to the horror rather than the psychological.
However in general it was an addictive read with added benefit of the writer being able to give the reader internal dialogue that could not be done in the movie. The theme of a writer not being able to capture life when all around him the very walls are coming to life is stronger in the book. Also the framing theme of a father being abused by an alcoholic parent and how that carries to his relationship with his own son is well sculpted in the book.
Danny is a brilliant character, able to “shine” or read other people’s thoughts but still only 5 and therefore not able to understand what those adult thoughts might mean. He loves his Daddy even when his Daddy is taken over by his own horrors and tragedies. Danny is completely vulnerable but also able to perceive how to survive when the adults have lost it.
Mostly however, the book is simply horribly frightening and I raced through the final pages in order to get out the other side.
A worthy Halloween read


message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 893 comments Reviews posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

and here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Just in on time: yay.


message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1918 comments This is the same as what I put in the Other 1001 folder:

I read this for the first time when I was in high school, back when horror was my genre of choice. I read many, many books by King then. In fact, he even came to speak at our high school (I lived in Maine, so maybe that wasn't unusual). The Shining was one of my favorites by him. I rarely read horror books anymore. Still, I felt it was time to revisit this one. I worried that I might not like it as well as I did then, but my feelings have remained unchanged.

Overall, a well-written horror/psychological book. Perhaps I need to pick up some of his more recent works, including the sequel, Doctor Sleep. Now I also want to watch the movie again. I probably haven't seen it since high school, either.


message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1189 comments Mod
Challenge is now close.


back to top