Persephone Books discussion

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding
This topic is about Cheerful Weather for the Wedding
Cheerful Weather > Cheerful Weather for the Wedding FINISHING Thoughts/discussion questions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karen | 336 comments Mod
Here we can discuss our thoughts/discussion questions on finishing Cheerful Weather for the Wedding
I read this funny little novella back in 2016 and loved it.I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts. Happy reading : )

Susan | 166 comments We are plunged right into the middle of the family and wedding preparations. The author shows the characters so clearly through their speech and actions that I felt like I knew them — the awkward young sister who is always putting her foot in things or making a gaffe (I really don’t like the way she speaks to their servants at all), the dreamy somewhat out of touch mother, the former suitor who wants to speak to the bride but has left his pitch too late, friends, relatives, and Dolly, the bride herself who feels stuck with her own bad decision. There is a lot of humor, but it’s a rather sad story for all the laughter and stiff upper lips, but I loved the humanity of it and the author’s fresh way of description.

Karen | 336 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "We are plunged right into the middle of the family and wedding preparations. The author shows the characters so clearly through their speech and actions that I felt like I knew them — the awkward y..." Thanks Susan. It is such a funny liitle book and the characters are great. I agree, there is an underlying sadness to the story.Have you watched the movie?

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments Well, I have managed to re-read it and I still find it sneering and self righteous. I don't see the humour. I find all the characters very sad and self serving. I can't stand either daughter, especially the younger one for all her insecurities or the elder for the pregnancy. The love-lorn suitor is a wet dishcloth who lashes out at everyone instead of getting on with it. I'd happily kill those two boys for keep going on about changing socks or putting your head in a bag!
Yes there are some neat phrases but the whole situation seems contrived to make me feel like JS is looking down her nose at the house and everyone in it like an experiment, and she is superior to it all, judging it all.
No not for me.
Toast

Karen | 336 comments Mod
Toast wrote: "Well, I have managed to re-read it and I still find it sneering and self righteous. I don't see the humour. I find all the characters very sad and self serving. I can't stand either daughter, espec..." Hi Toast, sorry you didn't enjoy this one.Thanks for recommending it for the group to read

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Toast wrote: "Well, I have managed to re-read it and I still find it sneering and self righteous. I don't see the humour. I find all the characters very sad and self serving. I can't stand either daughter, espec..."

I'm with you on this one. It is certainly "of it's time".... the upper middle classes who now have to shop in the same places as we do were rather like that at the time it was written. I found myself muttering "Thank goodness I don't know any of these awful people"!!!

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 13 comments Susan wrote: "We are plunged right into the middle of the family and wedding preparations. The author shows the characters so clearly through their speech and actions that I felt like I knew them — the awkward y..."

Susan, I enjoyed the book and agree with all your comments. It always amazes me how a "special" event like a wedding gets everyone so wound up and anxious, and brings out all the worst behaviours. The stress gets into the air like a poison gas and everyone is affected, even the most peripheral characters (like the boys fighting over the socks).

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments Suki I love your expression 'the stress gets into the air like a poison gas and everyone is affected'. It is so true in this piece, these people can't be real surely. As janetandjohn said I too found myself muttering 'Thank goodness I don't know any of these awful people'.
I am so glad I did suggest this book because although its not my 'thing', I am so glad others have got so much out of it or not as the case may be. It has certainly created a discussion and that is the best thing of all.
So if you haven't read it yet - do, it is only short and it has a lot to say for itself.
Toast

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 13 comments Toast wrote: "Suki I love your expression 'the stress gets into the air like a poison gas and everyone is affected'. It is so true in this piece, these people can't be real surely. As janetandjohn said I too fou..."

Toast, I'm glad you suggested this book too. I'm pretty sure that these people wouldn't be my "cup of tea" (nor I theirs!) at any time, but it is certain that none of them were at their best on this day. I did feel sorry and stressed for the bride when she was dressing for the wedding and her ex kept yelling up the stairs, "ARE YOU DRESSED YET? ARE YOU READY NOW?! HOW ABOUT NOW?!!" I wanted to slap him on her behalf. I had to wonder why he was even there, though-- had the bride secretly/subconsciously been hoping that he would speak up and claim her, stopping the wedding? Was she drinking because she was socially awkward and trying to give herself courage for a public ceremony, or was she drinking to make it possible for her to marry someone she really didn't want?

(I'm sorry I don't have the names handy-- I'm moving soon and I can't find my copy of the book today, so I think I must have accidentally boxed it up last night.)

message 10: by Toast (new) - rated it 1 star

Toast (hotbutteredtoast) | 55 comments Suki I am so chuffed you got so much out of it. I'll have to lighten up on my view of it now.
Toast

Susan | 166 comments Suki wrote: "Susan wrote: "We are plunged right into the middle of the family and wedding preparations. The author shows the characters so clearly through their speech and actions that I felt like I knew them —..."

Good point highlighting the stress of a “special event” for all involved and how it makes people act. I was once a member of a wedding party where the bride confided in me a few hours before the wedding that she was having serious second thoughts so this story brought back memories of that unhappy occasion (although the people involved were nothing like these folks).

Karen | 336 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Suki wrote: "Susan wrote: "We are plunged right into the middle of the family and wedding preparations. The author shows the characters so clearly through their speech and actions that I felt like ..."OMG Susan, did the wedding go ahead?

Susan | 166 comments Karen wrote: "Susan wrote: "Suki wrote: "Susan wrote: "We are plunged right into the middle of the family and wedding preparations. The author shows the characters so clearly through their speech and actions tha.. OMG Susan, did the wedding go ahead?

Karen, Yes, it did, and the marriage broke up a few months later :(

message 14: by Lynn (last edited Feb 10, 2020 12:50PM) (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 16 comments I just finished reading this (2-9-20) and felt it was rather absurd. I guess I've never been directly involved in many weddings since I was 18-20, but somehow I am unable to equate this total chaos to last-minute wedding preparations. Perhaps that is just due to my own inexperience with a big production for a wedding! :)

I enjoyed the humor in the first half of this but became disillusioned with the last half. At first Dolly is bemoaning the fact that Joseph has not stopped the wedding and then is telling him she did love him but does not any longer. Confusing...

Was this meant as a farce? I was not able to obtain a Persephone publication so did not have the advantage of reading the preface. If anyone else did have the Persephone publication, did that help to understand this or put it into perspective a bit better? I see it is labeled "eccentric and witty" in the Wikipedia article regarding Strachey.

I think perhaps I was on target in calling this a farce, per this on the Persephone website: http://www.persephonebooks.co.uk/cont.... I gather we, the reader, are supposed to wonder at exactly what has transpired and is about to transpire with the whole lot of them. My opinion that Dolly was simply following through with what her mother expected of her was, I guess, what I was to wonder about... I guess it is thought-provoking.

I once attended the wedding of a sorority sister who married a fellow student who was also a member of a fraternity on campus. She had 10 attendants and her father paid for all the tuxes, dresses, etc., as well as renting out half of a Motel 6 for any of us who consumed alcohol and shouldn't be driving (this was clear back in 1976, so he was rather progressive in his thinking in that regard...). It was a plated/catered meal for 600+ guests as well as an "open bar." I cannot imagine how much money this man spent in total for this event! She bragged that her wedding dress cost $10,000. They were divorced within 6 months. That is one HUGE reason that although I am now in my second marriage I have only spent $20 or so on the cost of a bouquet of flowers for my first "wedding" and nothing on a second one. I used a JP each time. Firstly, I don't have money to blow on such events and secondly, I did not want to repeat her mistake! ;)

Karen | 336 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "I just finished reading this (2-9-20) and felt it was rather absurd. I guess I've never been directly involved in many weddings since I was 18-20, but somehow I am unable to equate this total chaos..." Hi Lynn, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. I enjoyed this funny story when I read it back in 2016. I think the movie was produced back in 2012.

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (book_music_lvr) | 16 comments Karen wrote: "Lynn wrote: "I just finished reading this (2-9-20) and felt it was rather absurd. I guess I've never been directly involved in many weddings since I was 18-20, but somehow I am unable to equate thi..."

Just wanted you to know that I did eventually read it! :) I am now reading An Integrated Man which is included in the edition I purchased and so far (only 20 pages in) am enjoying it more. The humor is more engaging, though I wonder if my attitude toward it will change as it did with CWftW. :)