Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2020] Suggestions for 14th Mini Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Sep 15, 2019 12:11PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
It's time for another round, everyone!

The list of topics, sorted by type, may be found in message 2 of the Introduction & Announcement post:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

A little reminder of how things are done around here:

How it works:
- The topics for the 2020 reading challenge list will be determined by a series of mini-polls, the number of which depends on the number of prompts winning in each mini-polls
- Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received and “seconded” (this number can change, which will be announced in each suggestion topic)
- We'll wait for one day between the end of the suggestions and the start of the poll to allow for research and discussions
- The poll will be opened for voting for one week
- Each user has 8 votes to spread between their favorite (top) and least favorite (bottom) prompts
- The prompts with the more "positive" votes (top - bottom) will be added to the final list (between 2 and 5 depending on how the votes are spread)

Rules:
- Each member can only suggest OR second one prompt
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded prompts
- If the categories are not balanced enough at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- Multi-week prompts may be suggested
- For now, we won't limit polls to new suggestion only, but that can be considered in the future
- For now, members who have suggested or seconded a prompt don't need to wait for 24 hours before doing so again in the next poll. That may change in the future if members express a need for this rule to be reinstated
- As always, please express any and all feedback (respectfully, of course), either here or in The Wild Discussion

Poll entries:
1. In the first book you read for the challenge go to the page number of your age - line: Your birth date - word: Your birth month . Find a book title that contains the word.
2. A book related to a NASA mission name (in celebration of 20 years of the ISS)
3. A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce
4. A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y
5. A book that features a character in at least two different points of life (childhood, adulthood, old age, etc.)
6. A book about/involving social media or technology
7. A book with or about twins
8. A book with a cover that is mainly one color, excluding black & white
9. A book with a cover that reminds you of the sky (either sky-like colours or an actual skyscape)
10. A book that brings you joy
11. A book with a place name in the title (town/city, state/province, country, continent, planet...
12. A book that you are prompted to read because of something you read in 2019
13. A nonfiction book about something you see on a regular basis
14. A book with a title based on an idiom
15. A book that cost you USD1 or less

Available to be seconded:

* The next book in a series
* A book related to witches

message 2: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 43 comments I'd like to suggest: A Book by an Author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce

For clarification (just incase); I mean the name of the author NOT the title of the book. Also I'm thinking first name or last name or both names (& both names could be a BIO option here). I feel like the word "real" is a little bit clunky BUT I felt like it should be included to avoid confusion about what to do with pen names/pseudonyms in this case. Is there a better way to word this prompt suggestion or did you all already know what I meant immediately?
This idea is inspired by my discussion about a local author with my sister who was very unsure of how to pronounce his name! Waubgeshig Rice (It sounds like wah-bah-she-g)
I'm thinking that this suggestion will have some mixed reactions but here are some thoughts to consider:
I will try to remember to list these in the actual mini-poll thread too if this suggestion makes it there!

Possible Upsides

-This prompt will encourage (but not necessitate) ethnic diversity for literally everyone; it's a more inclusive way to encourage diversity.
-This prompt will encourage reading a lesser-known author since most of us have probably physically heard the names of more popular, famous authors. (Although there are several famous authors whose name(s) are often mispronounced too!)
-This is a prompt that is very flexible, it has A LOT of options/variety available as far as genre, date of publication, subject matter etc.
-There are many ways to find a book for this one and it suits people who like to just browse at the library/book store, people who like to research & plan ahead and people who like to fit their books/TBR into the prompts.
-There are online resources out there to help find a book for this, such as:
https://www.bookbrowse.com/authors/au...

https://www.rd.com/culture/popular-au...

https://sites.google.com/a/soledadapp...

Neutral Thoughts
For some these may be positives, for some these may be negatives...

-We do already have a few winning prompts for 2020 that are author based
-This is a very individual prompt (some people may know how to pronounce a certain authors' name(s) while others may not)
-Depending on your preferred method of book selection for this prompt, you may learn how to correctly pronounce the authors' name(s) in the process of researching a book which could be problematic for someone who likes to be very literal with the prompts. If someone wanted to remain very literal they may have a few less options as far as how to go about choosing a book to fit this one but I don't think this is too problematic (hence the neutral section) because there are still plenty of ways to research a book for this one. Browsing TBR/Library/Bookstore, the prompt threads, borrowed/gifted book would all still be acceptable to someone who wants to remain completely literal.

Possible Downsides

-This eliminates using any authors' pen name or pseudonym as the name you can't pronounce which could require a little extra research, you could still read a book under a pen name/pseudonym but it would be because you're not sure how to pronounce the author's real name.
-You wouldn't be able to find a book for this one based on any recommendations in any kind of audio format (bookish podcasts, booktubers etc.) because you'll have already heard the authors' name(s) pronounced.
-Someone who likes to be very literal with their prompts may eliminate the option of listening to an audiobook for this one (since they'll hear the pronunciation at the beginning).
-You might have more of a challenge/tougher time finding a classic to fit this prompt.

message 3: by Anabell (last edited Sep 15, 2019 04:17AM) (new)

Anabell | 40 comments I would like to suggest:
In the first book you read for the challenge go to the page number of your age - line: Your birth date - word: Your birth month . Find a book title that contains the word.

For example:
Page: your age (I am 34)
line: your birthdate (7th)
word: your birth month (June: 6)

So I will go to page 34 and count 7 lines down and counting 6 words from the beginning of the 7th line (not sentence) THAT word will have to be in the book title for this prompt.

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 954 comments I'll suggest a book with a place name in the title (town/city, state/province, country, continent, planet...)

message 5: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 15, 2019 12:52AM) (new)

Stephanie Rose | 284 comments Anabell wrote: "I would like to suggest:
In the first book you read for the challenge go to the page number of your age 34 - 7th line - 6th word. Find a book title that contains the word.

Hope it makes sense?! ..."

I'll second Anabell's suggestion

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments I'd like to resubmit:

A book related to a NASA mission name (in celebration of 20 years of the ISS)
https://www.nasa.gov/missions

Possible interpretations: Mission name in book title, a Greek myth retelling, by an author who shares their name with a mission, about a NASA mission, etc.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth | 334 comments Seconding the NASA suggestion

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 53 comments Anabell wrote: "I would like to suggest:
In the first book you read for the challenge go to the page number of your age 34 - 7th line - 6th word. Find a book title that contains the word.

It does make sense to me but I have some clarifying questions. First- by line do you mean line on the page or sentence? I ask because I primarily read e-books and sometimes lines are only a word or 2 long. Which brings me to my second question- when you say to pick the word indicated do you mean begin counting at the beginning of that line (or sentence) until you come to the appropriate word count? So I’m 54 and my Birthday is September 6. When I go to page 54 of my current book and head to sentence 9 I get a two word sentence. I can keep counting until I get to number 6 but it will be in a different sentence (and for people at the end of the month it would be even worse).

I like the prompt but want to make sure I understand it.

message 9: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Funny Annabel, we share our birthday, if that's your actual birthday you put there :) I am just 10 years older...

message 10: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 40 comments Lisa wrote: "Anabell wrote: "I would like to suggest:

Hope i..."

I would go to page 54 then line (not sentence) 9 and then count 6 words even if it continues in to the next line. But again it is up for interpretation as you see fit.
I get those who are born on the 31st may have to continue on to another page than where they started. but if you are 60 and on page 60 there is only 30 lines then you keep going so from the start count of line (not sentence) may end up on page 61 and be the 1st line is the 31st line. Then count number of words even if it continues in to the line below.
Like following a treasure map. Keep counting the steps even if it crosses a property line ;-)

Hope it makes sense :-)

message 11: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 40 comments Johanne wrote: "Funny Annabel, we share our birthday, if that's your actual birthday you put there :) I am just 10 years older..."

That is funny and, yes, it is my actual birthday :-) Was easier to just use that at such an early hour in the morning. And I finally got to be part of the suggestion yay! and someone actually seconded it...

message 12: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Read a book with a cover that reminds you of the sky (either sky-like colours or an actual skyscape)

message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve | 529 comments Anabell wrote: "I would like to suggest:

I’m confused. The prompt says age then line 7 and word 6. But then your example and subsequent discussion suggests we use our birthdays for the line and word. So the prompt states EVERYONE uses line 7 and word 6 but that doesn’t seem to be your intent.

message 14: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 40 comments Steve wrote: "Anabell wrote: "I would like to suggest:

Hope i..."

Edited the prompt. Does it make more sense now?

message 15: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Anabell's prompt makes most sense to me like this...

In the first book you read for the challenge
Go to the page that corresponds to your age
Go to the line that corresponds to your birth date
Go to the word that corresponds to your birth month
Read a book with a title that contains that word

It's unique and creative but it wouldn't really work for those that like to pre-plan. And challenge participants tend to really dislike prompts about personal information.

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie | 707 comments I think it's more workable for the pre-planners, if we don't check what that word is in the first book beforehand it could make this prompt impossible. There must be plenty of words that have never appeared in a title. What if the relevant word is a name the author invented? If you get to this prompt part way through the year without checking and find out the word is Flumbergersson you can't change it.

(Flumbergersson is going to turn out to be a real word to prove me wrong isn't it!)

message 17: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Anabell wrote: "Johanne wrote: "Funny Annabel, we share our birthday, if that's your actual birthday you put there :) I am just 10 years older..."

That is funny and, yes, it is my actual birthday :-) Was easier t..."

Cool :)

And I love the treasure hunt quality of that idea!

message 18: by Johanne (last edited Sep 15, 2019 05:07AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments *promptly looks up books titled 'Flumbergersson'*
(There weren't any. It still might be a word though ;) )
I am usually a literalist, but this is one prompt I wouldn't have a problem with just using the next book instead, if the word is 'Flumbergersson' or something similarly made-up and impossible.

message 19: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Poll entries:
•In the first book you read for the challenge go to the page number of your age - line: Your birth date - word: Your birth month . Find a book title that contains the word.
•A book related to a NASA mission name (in celebration of 20 years of the ISS)

Available to be seconded:
•A Book by an Author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce
•a book with a place name in the title (town/city, state/province, country, continent, planet...)
•Read a book with a cover that reminds you of the sky (either sky-like colours or an actual skyscape)

message 20: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 40 comments dalex wrote: In the first book you read for the challenge
Go to the page that corresponds to your age
Go to the line that corresponds to your birth date
Go to the word that corresponds to your birth month
Read a book with a title that contains that word

It's unique and creative but it wouldn't really work for those that like to pre-plan. And challenge participants tend to really dislike prompts about personal information. ."

If everybody like the wording better its all the same to me. It means the same.
I would argue it is easier for the pre-planners to work with this prompt. As you can check before the year starts which book has a word you would use, then start with that book. And check if it has Flumbergersson as your word beforehand ;-) Then I would start with another book.
Unless of course you read in order, but then it just makes it a harder challenge for one.

Regarding the personal stuff. No one actually have to tell their age or birthday to find their word to use. They can just say, if they feel like it, what their word is or not. Completely up to them.

For fun I looked up my word in Harry Potter and The Philosophers stone. It was the nearest on my desk and my word was 'to'.

"Johanne wrote:And I love the treasure hunt quality of that idea!
Yeah that's what I like about it.

Hope I answered everybody :-)

message 21: by Fourevver (last edited Sep 27, 2019 04:12AM) (new)

Fourevver | 55 comments Since I really like to have a group-related prompt, I want to resubmit the one Marie originally suggested in poll 4:

A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y

Some examples:
Kindred
Room
Circe
Homegoing
Spinning Silver
Rivers of London
Bombproof
Lockdown
Clockwise
Bruno, Chief of Police
Jumper
Widdershins
Gone Girl
Gone
Legend
Sphere
Recursion
Hollow World
George
Beloved
Robinson Crusoe
How I Live Now
Sleeping Murder
Origin
Scoop
Life of Pi
Wonder
Pinocchio

message 22: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments Read a book with a main character that is distinctly different from yourself (personality/race/sexuality/religion/, etc.)

I'm thinking an extrovert would read a book with a very introverted character, someone who is considers themselves empathetic would read about a sociopath, a career woman reads a book about a housewife. You could consider socio-economic differences, cultural differences, religious differences, etc.

message 23: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 15, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7222 comments Mod
I'd like to suggest:

A book that features a character in at least two different points of life (childhood, adulthood, old age, etc.)

This can be dual timeline with an older character who is reflecting back on their life (like The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo) or a middle aged person reflecting back on their childhood (The Last Time I Lied). It can also cover books that follow a character through the years (like The Interestings).

message 24: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 15, 2019 06:27AM) (new)

Poll Entries:
1. In the first book you read for the challenge, go to the page that corresponds to your age, then go to the line that corresponds to your birth date, then go to the word that corresponds to your birth month. Read a book with a title that contains that word.
2. A book related to a NASA mission name (in celebration of 20 years of the ISS)

Available to Second:
- A book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce
- A book with a place name in the title (town/city, state/province, country, continent, planet...)
- Read a book with a cover that reminds you of the sky (either sky-like colours or an actual skyscape)
- A book with a title that doesn't contain the letters A, T or Y
Read a book with a main character that is distinctly different from yourself (personality/race/sexuality/religion/, etc.)
- A book that features a character in at least two different points of life (childhood, adulthood, old age, etc.)
- A book with or about twins

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda (linnola) | 336 comments In honor of the year 2020, I would like to suggest a book with or about twins. This could be fiction or nonfiction.

message 26: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments Anabell wrote: "I would like to suggest:
In the first book you read for the challenge go to the page number of your age - line: Your birth date - word: Your birth month . Find a book title that contains the word...."

This prompt freaks me out and I am TOTALLY voting for it, because it scares me!!! (sort of like a huge rollercoaster?)

I just tried it on a random paperback sitting here. I'm born in December, and the line did not have 12 words in it so I had to keep going to the next line. My word was "whatever" hahahah I actually don't have any books on my giant TBR with "whatever" in the title, but that's okay, because I'm one of those readers who likes the Challenge to push me outside my usual reading lists.

I am SO excited for this and I really want it to win!!!!

message 27: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments Marie wrote: "I think it's more workable for the pre-planners, if we don't check what that word is in the first book beforehand it could make this prompt impossible. There must be plenty of words that have never..."

I think in that case I would give this error bars of +/- 1 word, and see what the words before and after are, and choose one of those.

I am a preplanner and I'm still excited by how fresh and different this prompt feels.

message 28: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 787 comments Nadine, I had to test it as well with the book I’m currently reading, and I got the word ‘they’ - that is definitely doable 😊

message 29: by Fourevver (new)

Fourevver | 55 comments Hilde wrote: "Nadine, I had to test it as well with the book I’m currently reading, and I got the word ‘they’ - that is definitely doable 😊"

Haha, I did the same, and my word was "the"

message 30: by Julie (JuJu) (last edited Sep 15, 2019 06:41AM) (new)

Julie (JuJu) (jlb27) | 26 comments I’ll suggest:
A book with a cover that is mainly one color, excluding black & white

message 31: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 840 comments Ooh, my trial balloon gave me “accustomed” which would be rough.

I can’t decide what to second, and it’s too early to think of a new prompt. I’ll just wait a bit and see what else gets suggested, I think.

message 32: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

I’m going to second a book by an author whose real name(s) you're not quite sure how to pronounce.

message 33: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments I want to second twooooooo so I'm waiting for someone else to second one of my picks so I can second the other one!

message 34: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I really like that one, Bryony, and Stacey, I appreciate you giving us all the upsides and downsides haha!

message 35: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 787 comments I will suggest;

The next book in a series

message 36: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronstjohn) | 205 comments I will suggest:

A book you bought for $1 or less.

message 37: by Perri (new)

Perri | 781 comments I like and second no ATY in the title to continue the tradition

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 186 comments I'll second a book that features a character in at least two different points of life

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments A book about/involving social media or technology.

I am totally open to adjusting the wording, but my idea was for a book where the social media (blogs/vlogs, podcasts, Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, texting, etc.) or technology (computers, robots, AI, etc.) aspect is a major part of the story (for fiction) or the focus of the book (for non-fiction).

I also think it is something that can fit a lot of different genres. Just a few suggestions (you are obviously not limited to picking from this list):

- YA
The Takedown (viral video)
Warcross (virtual reality)
Sadie (podcast)
Emergency Contact (texting)
The Lunar Chronicles (cyborgs)
Illuminae (AI, spaceships)
I Hate Everyone But You (texting)
The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily (instant messaging)
Tash Hearts Tolstoy (vlogging)
If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say (online comments)
Eliza and Her Monsters (webcomic)

- Mystery/Thriller
Friend Request (Facebook)
Kiss Me First (online community)
You (stalking via social media posts)
Copycat (Facebook)
Reconstructing Amelia (using social media to find out what happened)
Don't Try to Find Me (using social media to find out what happened)

- Contemporary
The Status of All Things (Facebook)
Attachments (email)
Read Bottom Up (email)
Goodnight Tweetheart (Twitter)
Save as Draft (email and various social networks)
Gena/Finn (text, IM, blogging)

- Sci-Fi
Crosstalk
Feed (blogging)
The Circle

This list has tons of suggestions from a variety of genres, including many non-fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 40: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2547 comments I second the social media/technology prompt.

message 41: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1305 comments Mod
I'll second the prompt about twins

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 398 comments I'll second: A book with a cover that is mainly one color, excluding black & white

message 43: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

The poll is just over half full now - seven spaces remaining.

message 44: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments I will second "A book with a cover that reminds you of the sky (either sky-like colours or an actual skyscape)"

message 45: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments I would like to retract my suggestion for a character that is distinctly different from you and make another suggestion that I like better:

A book that brings you joy

This could be a re-read, a book with a beautiful (to you) cover, a recommendation from someone special, a favorite author, a favorite subject.....it could even be a book with JOY in the title or with a character named JOY. I think any Marie Kondo book would fit perfectly here too lol

message 46: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1670 comments Nadine wrote: "I want to second twooooooo so I'm waiting for someone else to second one of my picks so I can second the other one!"

This was me this morning.

message 47: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

°~Amy~° wrote: "I would like to retract my suggestion for a character that is distinctly different from you and make another suggestion that I like better:

A book that brings you joy ."

Love this suggestion Amy! I’ve just deleted your original nomination and replaced it with this one.

message 48: by Julie (JuJu) (new)

Julie (JuJu) (jlb27) | 26 comments Ron wrote: "I will suggest:

A book you bought for $1 or less."

I like this one...I have tons!

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2219 comments I’ll second a book with a cover that reminds you of the sky

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2219 comments I’ll second a book that brings you joy.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.