What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult fiction widower cello Europe

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Kuller | 2 comments Adult Literature a middle aged man's family is killed in a car crash (somewhere in America, I think) and he moves to Europe (maybe Amsterdam or Brussels?) and takes cello lessons-he may move to or visit Paris or London and rides a ferris wheel with a much younger woman. I think I read this book in the last 10-15 years. That would be 2005-2013.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37540 comments Mod
Cover?
Author's gender?
Is it literary fiction?

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Kuller | 2 comments Unfortunately, I don't remember the cover, nor the author's gender. Yes, it was literary fiction.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32108 comments Mod
Susan, can you tell us more about the main characters - e.g., their jobs/skills/interests, where was the car crash and who caused it, etc.? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

Which family members were killed in the car accident?

message 5: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1154 comments Hi! Searching "novel" "car accident" "he moves to" "cello" this book came up: After You've Gone by Jeffrey Lent (published in 2009). Sorry, I can't add the link in the app.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32108 comments Mod
After You've Gone by Jeffrey Lent - Mai's suggestion

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

An Evening of Brahms?

Kirkus review:

"Alexander Hoffmann is a young Chicago-raised cellist studying in New York when he meets Susan Fields, the pianist in the chamber-music class they take with paternally wise Signor Grisi. Alexander is remarkably good, Susan much less so--merely adequate. Yet they're comfortable together, share an apartment after a while, marry--and try to deal with the discrepancies pulling out ever wider between Alexander's public life and the one Susan will never have. But finally, shortly after the marriage, after an argument. . . Susan is killed by a taxi. ... Alexander, conducting an amateur group in Brahms' German Requiem, finds himself able to come to terms with the stages of mourning. ....Alexander's early life is set out in satisfying detail, but his background is uncomfortably similar to that of the main character in Scott Spencer's Endless Love (Chicago communist parents, father leaving mother for a black woman). ....Alexander's first public recital--at which, afterwards, he vomits convulsively over and into his cello; and a thematically linked scene of rehearsing and playing the Requiem imperfectly, even badly...."

The NYT review writes: "Alexander can't forgive his wife, Susan, for failing to achieve mastery over the piano comparable to his command of the cello. His lack of sympathy for a cramp she develops in her wrist further poisons their marriage, already in trouble because of his rapid rise in New York City's concert world. Her despair leads her to get high on a mild hallucinogen, which in turn provokes Alexander to tell her off. She leaves the apartment and is hit by a taxi. Her eventual death leaves Alexander alone with his genius - and his guilt."

I don't see anything about moving to Europe.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

When is it set?