Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Lynn's Accidental Women's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3289 comments Mod
I did not mean to plan out a Women Authors Challenge this year. I thought with monthly reads, Bingo, and the Old and New School Challenge I would have enough to do. In the process of regular reading I have almost completed a Century Challenge so I thought I would post. One or two more books should complete it.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Lynn wrote: "I did not mean to plan out a Women Authors Challenge this year. I thought with monthly reads, Bingo, and the Old and New School Challenge I would have enough to do. In the process of regular readin..."

Good for you. Love when this happens!

message 4: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments That's great and your list has some fabulous books. You couldn't have done better if you planned it.

message 5: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Laurie wrote: "That's great and your list has some fabulous books. You couldn't have done better if you planned it."

Thanks Katy and Laurie.

message 6: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I’ve read seven of your selections, all were good. Several were outstanding, truly classic. The surprise 5 star read for me was The Hunting of Hill House. Shirley Jackson was a gifted writer.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Great job Lynn! The 90's should be an easy slot to fill.

message 8: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2608 comments You've read some really good books! Great job! :)

message 9: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Sue wrote: "Great job Lynn! The 90's should be an easy slot to fill."

Thanks. Right now I am so covered up at work that I cannot even finish Gulliver's Travels. Arggghh. Hopefully, I can find that one book from the 90s by Christmas.

message 10: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Bob wrote: "I’ve read seven of your selections, all were good. Several were outstanding, truly classic. The surprise 5 star read for me was The Hunting of Hill House. Shirley Jackson was a gifted writer."

I agree. I really enjoy Shirley Jackson's writing.

message 11: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

I have purchased a kindle book to read for the 1990s Rose Cottage by Mary Stewart. Mary Stewart is one of my favorite writers and this book has been on my TBR list for a while. After my last two books, Gulliver's Travels and The Sound and the Fury, I am ready for something a little lighter.

message 12: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Dec 31, 2019 06:21PM) (new)

For 2019 my plan was two challenges: Bingo and The Old and New Classic Challenge. I added one more because I almost had enough books to complete the Women Authors Challenge. In the end I only completed one of my three challenges. I was two books short in the Old and New Classics and one book short on the Women Authors Challenge. That is Ok.

2019 Achievements:
1. I completed Bingo.
2. I read 130 books, children's books, or short stories total.
3. I read 41 books or short stories from the Group Bookshelf.
4. I focused on the books I wanted to read and only struggled to finish two of my 130 selections.

Overall it was a great reading year. I could have pushed to finish the last three books during my Christmas Break from school, but with family and other interests I really wanted to take things a little more slowly and I'm glad I did.

One other challenge I faced this year is that I have been working on my health. A little history: in 1993 when I had my third child I was diagnosed with diabetes. I went to nutrition classes by the American Diabetic Association and learned about their exchange program. I was able to keep my blood sugar under control with diet and exercise for 26 years!!! But not surprisingly as a 57 year old, controlling this became a little harder. Oct 22 I was put on medicine for diabetes. Since then I have lost 28 pounds (almost all water) and tightened up even more on my diet. So I have spent many, many hours on cooking, watching doctors on youtube and reading nutrition articles. - The guidelines for diabetics have been almost completely rewritten! Yet it is funny to note that I have been intermittent fasting for the last 26 years before it even had a name!! Overall 2019 was also a good year because I feel healthier than I have in quite a while and am wearing clothes that I bought about 12 years ago!! Now on to 2020.

(I will copy and paste and put this in a couple of threads.)

message 13: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I am glad you had a great reading year. And while I am so sorry you had to start taking medication for your diabetes, it sounds like you have a great handle on getting as healthy as you can. Congratulations on your weight loss which is simply hard as we get older. Best of luck in 2020 in your reading and your health!

message 14: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Laurie wrote: "I am glad you had a great reading year. And while I am so sorry you had to start taking medication for your diabetes, it sounds like you have a great handle on getting as healthy as you can. Congra..."

Thank you Laurie and Happy New Year!

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3936 comments Your efforts are an inspiration, Lynn--both your reading and your health accomplishments. Wishing you the happiest new year!