Postwar British history discussion

Who Dares Wins: Britain, 1979-1982
This topic is about Who Dares Wins
New Sandbrook

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ade (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ade | 8 comments Mod
The next volume of Dominic Sandbrook's post-war histories is out on 26th Sept, entitled Who Dares Wins: Britain, 1979-1982. I'm aware that Sandbrook's stock has sunk somewhat lately among the Twitterati (writing Daily Mail fluff pieces praising Thatcher's achievements will do that for you) but I'll likely be buying this one on release, particularly if I can find a good discount (full RRP looks swingeing, although I guess he's been working on it for years now and it's probably the size of a couple of housebricks).

Bit disappointed that it only covers such a limited period; the same short duration was the main limiting aspect of Andy Beckett's Promised You a Miracle: UK80-82, which I have no doubt will form one of the major sources for this book. But still, something new to read at last after a lean few years for this topic.

Bookthesp1 | 4 comments Yes- I have read the Andy Beckett book mentioned and assumed it might become a series?? and have just bought the Sandbrook Brick- He says at the start he has also just done a TV series on the 80s. Will be plunging in to read this but it is an intimidating length...His overall thesis about the 70s and aspiration will presumably link with much praise for Mrs Thatch though only going to 82 will limit this somewhat...Still, he has taken some time to write this so going in...

Bookthesp1 | 4 comments Talking of Sandbrook there was a lengthy blog by Richard Cooper I think which tried to forensically dismantle Sandbrooks' methodology and his speedy writing (suspiciously speedy to Cooper) as well as his take on the decades covered- worth a look if its still online as a sceptical take on the Sandbrook behemoth.....