Chicago Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 30 comments Has anyone heard of Gumbo Fiction Salon? It meets at Galway Arms restaurant on Clark, 2nd floor, once a month. Authors can read 5 pages of their books.

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Bieniek | 18 comments Hi, Sheila,

I know people who go to the Gumbo Fiction Salon regularly but I've never been myself because I find it hard to get out in the middle of the week. The only knock I've heard about it is that parking around there is at a premium, which is not surprising considering the neighborhood.

The open mic slots are 10 minutes, rather than five pages, and I understand that they stick to that rigidly. I've heard that it's a good room and the audience is enthusiastic.

I've been a regular at the Tamale Hut Cafe Reading Series, which I've mentioned in other posts, and I find it useful to get up and read my work out loud in front of a crowd. If it's a good group, the feedback is beneficial, and it's never a bad thing to have strangers applaud you!

Matt

message 3: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Cronin | 30 comments Well said, Matt.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Members of my writing group read at Gumbo Fiction Salon regularly and want me to join them. Your endorsement is much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving. Happy writing!
Sheila